ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 and 182 engine difference

throttle bodied mk2 172
my car without driver is 1035 kg.182 whhels are 16,also exhaust system is heavier.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So what have you removed then to make your car lighter?

I have a 172 Ph2 Cup, and at the factory that had 89kgs removed to make it weigh 1,021 kgs. Add those 89kgs back on and you get...1,110 kgs for a full fat Ph2 172.

You either have a ph1 172, or your car weighs 1,110 kgs, or you've stipped stuff out of it to make it weigh 1,035 kgs.

Which is it then?

throttle bodied mk2 172
Technical specifications of 2001 Renault Clio II Sport Phase 2This record added 2002-10-27.
Last modified 2006-06-29.
bodyworkType4/5S HBKDesignerNumber of doors3dimensions & weightWheelbase2472 mm97.3 in Trackfront1406 mm55.4 inrear1386 mm54.6 inLength3773 mm148.5 inWidth1639 mm64.5 inHeight1417 mm55.8 inLength:wheelbase ratio1.53Ground clearance120 mm4.7 inKerb weight1059 kg2335 lbWeight distribution
(Front)Fuel capacity50
litres11
UK Gal13.2
US GalGo to more manufacturers or other Renault models aerodynamicsDrag coefficient0.358Frontal Area1.94 m2Cx0.69engineCodeF4RManufacturerRenaultTypeS-4 DOHC
16 valves total
4 valves per cylinderMain bearingsConstructionBore × stroke82.70mm × 93.00mm
3.26 in × 3.66 inBore/Stroke ratio0.89Displacement1998 cc
(121.925 cu in)Unitary capacity499.5 cc/cylinderCompression ratio11.00:1Fuel systemEFiAspirationNormalCompressor typeN/AIntercoolerNoneCatalytic ConverterYMax. output
(DIN)168.3 PS (166.0 bhp) (123.8 kW)
@6250 rpmMax. torque
(DIN)200.0 Nm (148 lbft) (20.4 kgm)
@5400 rpmMaximum rpmCoolantWaterSpecific output83.1 bhp/litre1.36 bhp/cu inSpecific torque100.1 Nm/litreGo to more manufacturers or other Renault models

throttle bodied mk2 172
MarkCup said:
So what have you removed then to make your car lighter?

I have a 172 Ph2 Cup, and at the factory that had 89kgs removed to make it weigh 1,021 kgs. Add those 89kgs back on and you get...1,110 kgs for a full fat Ph2 172.

You either have a ph1 172, or your car weighs 1,110 kgs, or you've stipped stuff out of it to make it weigh 1,035 kgs.

Which is it then?
so you saying that cup is only about 14 kg less than ph1 172.no way

throttle bodied mk2 172
check couple websites and its correcting you.i dont know mate but every different web sites saying different.so how heavy is 172 ph2 15 inch wheels?is it heavier than 16 inch 182 wheels?

172 phase 1's were fitted with 15s, phase 2s with 16s and 182s with 16s. The only phase 2s fitted with 15s are certain non uk market cars due to issues with specs on 195.45.16 tyres in those countries.

throttle bodied mk2 172
so how heavy is my car?i have 195 50 15 five thick leg factory wheels.my car is ph2 172

W

WrongJohn

BenR said:
I'm not doubting you understand basic economics, i'm doubting just how much you understand in terms of the way I and my company deals with its own design products. I do not do gash, half arsed, bodged or even 'good' jobs. I only use the best, and the best costs. Sure i could flog out a manifold that used formed or pressed collectors, easy going heavy mig welds and none of the fancy implementations i have in the manifold design....belt one out for £400. But i dont want to, other people can do that, i'm not here to make large sums of money by pushing cheaper products, I like making the best because its what i'm interested in.

For example, people will almost always use 305SS where i would only use 321SS, investment cast flanges, true merge collectors, transitions and anti reversal dual bore primaries, V band clamps not slip fit etc etc.

Its a small market, and because of that i'm not interested in 'cheap'.

As for gains, yes 10bhp might not be had without a remap, or it might, but i dont know why anybody would put on a totally different design manifold and not account for the change in pulse tuning. Either way, it will benefit more than the 182 manifold does, and it'll be even more beneficial to those who are pushing the boundaries further than playing with a stock engine.

As for FI, thats a preference, you'll always make more power no doubt, but i dont half find them boring.

To be fair you clearly know what your on about or you talk a lot of good sh1t - I fix computers so I can't really talk technical with you on this subject.

Its interesting to hear from a retailers point of view as well, but from my point of view - the guy in PC World told me a lot of sh1t about a computer they were selling that wasn't true - he needed to make his money and so do you so I will always only be able to believe a retailer to a certain extent. At the end of the day, the more you can charge the happier you are and thats something you will never be able to argue with.

As for the FI argument - I cant help but lol since it seems to have made everyone kick off so much.

All I said was it would be the only way to make big power - I didnt say anything else....

Regards
John

WrongJohn said:
To be fair you clearly know what your on about or you talk a lot of good sh1t - I fix computers so I can't really talk technical with you on this subject.

Its interesting to hear from a retailers point of view as well, but from my point of view - the guy in PC World told me a lot of sh1t about a computer they were selling that wasn't true - he needed to make his money and so do you so I will always only be able to believe a retailer to a certain extent. At the end of the day, the more you can charge the happier you are and thats something you will never be able to argue with.

As for the FI argument - I cant help but lol since it seems to have made everyone kick off so much.

All I said was it would be the only way to make big power - I didnt say anything else....

Regards
John

It's the former in Ben's case.

Ben is actually doing himself out of business by choosing only to supply high quality high cost parts. If he wanted to make a fortune he'd be in the "sell em cheap stack em high" end of the market. He's an enthusiast and although im not disputing he's making a living out of it he's not the type of bloke who'd sell any old s**t just to make a better living.

Clio's are cheap cars and as such the owners wont have the kind of disposable income (on the whole) that owners of dearer cars might have. If you are selling a £1500 exhaust for someone with a 1-3 year old audi then chances are the owner is less likely to compramise on the quality due to cost than someone with a clio. End of the day you pay your money you take your choice and as a rule regardless of retailers spin if you want something better quality on the whole you have to put your hand deeper into your pocket.

W

WrongJohn

Loony said:
It's the former in Ben's case.

Ben is actually doing himself out of business by choosing only to supply high quality high cost parts. If he wanted to make a fortune he'd be in the "sell em cheap stack em high" end of the market. He's an enthusiast and although im not disputing he's making a living out of it he's not the type of bloke who'd sell any old sh*t just to make a better living.

Clio's are cheap cars and as such the owners wont have the kind of disposable income (on the whole) that owners of dearer cars might have. If you are selling a £1500 exhaust for someone with a 1-3 year old audi then chances are the owner is less likely to compramise on the quality due to cost than someone with a clio. End of the day you pay your money you take your choice and as a rule regardless of retailers spin if you want something better quality on the whole you have to put your hand deeper into your pocket.

Looking back I guess I am being kind of harsh to Ben unneccescarily.

I hope he doesn't feel I am suggesting he is really trying to rip people off etc, I just kind of mean that what were looking at her is a manifold, its not ceramic or spectacular in any way.

Lets look at it like this...

Cheap and nasty - £400 + remap = 7-8bhp
Better quality - £700 + remap = 10bhp

To be fair, neither of these manifolds is likely to crack or fail I wouldn't have thought and I would prefer to have the option of which I want to go for and not have my options limited by whats available, rather than what choose sort of thing!

To be fair I'm not financially pressed like some of the younger Clio owners, I just dont ever think I will be willing to pay £700 for a manifold. Bear in Mind, a BMW M3 Manifold (IIRC) costs a bit less than £800.

Regards
John

NO offence taken, most of my stuff is generally more expensive for the hand crafted detail items, but then again i take more time and put more work into it.

I'm sure i can sway your views if you get a manifold made for £400, then you come see one i have made, you will quite quickly reverse your comments RE spectacular.

For example, most people would think the likes of supersprint make good exhaust manifolds.........where i would call them simply average.

The point is that althought the difference in gains between a cheap and en expensive manifold might only be 5bhp on a std engine, once your pushing things the difference can quite easily become 15-20bhp which is where the manifold becomes a bargain.

clio 200 F4Rt
we can look into BTB making 182 manifolds if the demand is there, and qulaity will be second to none.