ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 and VTS - Comparison

Just a comparison (not a racing tale) between these two. I had to pick my dad up from Bognor this afternoon and from the A24, along the A29 and onto the M25, had a VTS to play with when there were no other cars around. He was on his own and I was with my dad. Very impressed with them, quick but not quite as quick as mine (std). Stopped on the M25 though as he was willing to go onto warp speed and hey presto immediately had another VTS right up my crack but let them both get on with it, one of them made a very silly manoevre in front of a BMW who was not chuffed. Would like to have a drive of one but they still have that image. Excellent driving roads, loads of bikes, Ferarris, a Boxter S and a Jag XKR sport (or whatever it is) all giving it some beans.

Frp powered Zs
Only ever had 1 chance to see what a VTS can do, but 1 had a go at me and my mates st170, both of us saw it off quite easily. Was considering buying 1 of these, but im really glad i didnt.

Some of them are realy quick Craggy of here used to have one which was just a slight bit quicker than 172/182's. Great cars though.

Well maybe it was the two fat blokes in mine with a full boot but I sure didn't embarrass him, my first ever play with one, lovely drive down there!!

silver cup packed FF 182
i currently own a vts mk2 but is for sale atm as im after a 182 but yeah ive owned mine for 3 years and its been a great car and very quick for a 1.6 quickest 1.6 ive driven anyway(standard)

Agree with that, very quick for a 1.6, my dad couldn't quite believe it either!! Still had an edge on him though and maybe the weight played a part too (We're both 14st +) but they are to be reckoned with!

Megane Mk4
Jons Cup said:
Only ever had 1 chance to see what a VTS can do, but 1 had a go at me and my mates st170, both of us saw it off quite easily.
Ehh??? An ST170 leaving a saxo VTS?? thats very doubtful as the st only does 60 in 8 secs. So unless the VTS driver wasn't trying/had a crap car/ had 4 lardy mates in, then he would've stomped all over the focus ;)

As for a clio 172, well ... thats a different matter, half second quicker and keeps going upto 140 unlike the VTS which stops at 115/125 mph :D

Frp powered Zs
l!ckeldev!l_2k1 said:
Ehh??? An ST170 leaving a saxo VTS?? thats very doubtful as the st only does 60 in 8 secs. So unless the VTS driver wasn't trying/had a crap car/ had 4 lardy mates in, then he would've stomped all over the focus ;)

As for a clio 172, well ... thats a different matter, half second quicker and keeps going upto 140 unlike the VTS which stops at 115/125 mph :D

Yeah i know what you mean, but thats just paper figures, on paper my cup should leave my mates focus, but he stays with me all the way to silly speeds, i honestly think its had something done to it. The vts had just the driver and a passenger and he was trying.

Megane Mk4
Sounds like a modded st to me then and he's keeping hush about it.. ;)

Even so, most VTS's are extremely quick for what they are, in standard form too. Us clio sport'ers have a slight advantage but not much. :D

Don't forget that badging means nothing the amount of VTR and VTS baged cars being either 1.1's and VTS with supercharger is amazing.

sorry but a vts would whip a focus st170's arse in any shape or form. Owned a a vts for 2 years and the focus for 6 months..... i wonder why i changed it???

Frp powered Zs
LOL his st is strange, when its on form it flies, but he has a problem with it giving back on him, its like it wont let him rev over 4k at times, he definatly hasnt modded it, but the previous owner might have.

Vts's r quick for what they are, to look at they dont look anything special. Raced a saxo badged up as a vtr in my old zetec-s, but was obviously a vts. Im sure you can work out what happened.

Frp powered Zs
trailerparktrev said:
sorry but a vts would whip a focus st170's arse in any shape or form. Owned a a vts for 2 years and the focus for 6 months..... i wonder why i changed it???

Well this 1 didnt. Im not going 2 argue anymore about this, but what i said honestly happened and the vts driver was going for it.

Jons Cup said:
LOL his st is strange, when its on form it flies, but he has a problem with it giving back on him, its like it wont let him rev over 4k at times, he definatly hasnt modded it, but the previous owner might have.

Vts's r quick for what they are, to look at they dont look anything special. Raced a saxo badged up as a vtr in my old zetec-s, but was obviously a vts. Im sure you can work out what happened.

might have just been a VTR with mild mods?

Frp powered Zs
Maybe! but my car was modded 2, i think it was a vts because the vtr n zetec-s are quite evenly matched, this just blew me away.

Frp powered Zs
^^^^ i agree, i loved the 2 i previously had and it looks like ill be getting a 3rd one soon. But this 1 will have an extra 50bhp!

Megane R26
Yes they are! :) I have Bluefin, uprated suspension and a cat back system on mine, and its great fun to drive, just not exactly 'fast'

Jon, I assume you are Jonathan... on ZSOC?

How does the RS Clio compare? I am looking to make the change in September when I have 1 years NCB....

Frp powered Zs
RussZS said:
Jon, I assume you are Jonathan... on ZSOC?

Yep thats me!:)

Obviously the clio is alot quicker and i would definatly recomend getting one, but just be picky when buying 1. Ive heard alot of bad things going wrong with them if you end up with a bad 1. But i guess its the same story with any car that.

2014 Focus Titanium
I drive a saxo VTS and its amazing how they do keep up with 150-180bhp bigger cars! i think alot of it is because it has a shortish gearbox, it revs pretty high (7400 limit).

Ive noticed that it doesn't perform well at all with more than 2 people in the car because it relies on power:weight. whereas the 172/182 will keep pulling with people in the car.

i had a small play with a black 55 reg 182 a while ago on a dual carrageway and he pulled away from me but not as much as he thought, then at the next round about he gave me the thumbs up and a big smile so i returned the gesture!

the only problem is with the VTS that because its a small engine its hard to extract more power from really, but with £2000 u can get roughly 150-160bhp, which will then keep up with type Rs!

I do like the look of these and have only ever raced one but the guy gave up half way.

I've got a mate with a 106 GTI which are nice also, I believe thats the same pace as this?

2014 Focus Titanium
yep exactly the same gearing/engine but the 106 is 15kg heavier (f**k all)

despite what many people believe as the 106 being slower, its not!

Nissan 350Z
l!ckeldev!l_2k1 said:

According to Evo, the ST170 is quicker than a VTS or 106 GTI.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
Jesus H Corbett

Not another VTS thread.

VTS's are fast quick and fun.

Similar performance to a 172, out handle a 172.

In my former VTS owning opinion.

The end.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
only probs with them are:

super cheap & cheerful interior
that god awful image, every chav and his dad drives one
really starting to look dated now, common as muck.

Clio v6
lewisniven said:
only probs with them are:

super cheap & cheerful interior
that god awful image, every chav and his dad drives one
really starting to look dated now, common as muck.

The VTS or the Clio ?

ex Clio 172 owner :(
Every chav and his dad drives a VTS?

No sir. VTR or less maybe. VTS's are rarer and tend to be owned by more mature enthusiasts.

I could just as easily say every chav and his dad/gran drives a Clio. But I wouldn't say that about a 172. Again, owned by the more mature enthusiast.

2014 Focus Titanium
amen to that!

here's mine

vts_front.jpg

had a modded vts play............... he looked quite smart as well , he kept up but i had a slight pull at the top of each gear ........was nt that far behind tbh ..........so dont under estimate them really:quiet:

Golf R/Leon FR
ive driven my brothers old vts and was amazed how quick they are, great little cars fast, light, and he kept up pretty well with me in my 172. but imo the RS is a better all round car.

2014 Focus Titanium
the clio is much better all round don't get me wrong, but for £3500, its y reg, excellent condition, with 36k on the clock, and the engines r pretty much bullet proof as standard, cant go wrong!

except for the rest of it falling apart that is! :D

Street Triple R
I had a VTS before my 172 Cup, nice early one which looked like a VTR...so bit of a sleeper

but IMO there is hardly any difference in performance, unless you start having more than one person in each car, the VTS handles fantasticlly too, never underestimate the VTS, great little car

Titanium 182
l!ckeldev!l_2k1 said:

only done it once but my vts pulled all the way to the clock *40

i know this isnt a true reflection of how fast your really going mind.

great car sold my 172 to get a vts as wanted something cheaper and its been brilliant, mines just a standard mk2 i know they have a bad image but in standard trim i dont mind it.

2014 Focus Titanium
aye mines standard 2 apart from the painted C2 VTS badges, id like to lower it as they look like theyre on stilts as standard but tbh it always puts a smile on my face, chuck it anywhere and it copes!

RB182cup&golf gti
bummer - i miss mine now after seeing that pic! mint cars once on cam about 4-4.5 revs - fck all in it with clio, keep pulling to 130 easily

Frp powered Zs
You would be suprised because clios have a bad rep for it 2. If you read on other forums, alot see them as a car that a chav drives.