ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Clutch!

Hi guys

How long should a clutch on a 172 last.

I know that if you ride like a granny it wont last two minutes but Im just after the average.

ps.. Eagle F1s are awesome!

they aint too good TBH......depends though, my clutch in HK (all day everyday city traffic) lasted 14,000 odd KM.

the rubber is awesome. My boss started taking the mick out of the tread until I pointed out that his CL55 AMG runs on the same tyres (they are a bit dearer though!!)

car is coming up to 24,000 and clutch is getting very high. Does that mean that the clutch is definately going or just needs adjusting???

My 172 has done 23,300miles and the clutch is still as good as new and that is with the mrs commuting to work and back in pretty much stop/start traffic.

172 Stu.

My Cup clutch suffered a short, painfull life of abuse, and died just to spite me. (Didnt die, pedal feel became different and I asked Renault to look at it - they said it was a clear case for the RSPC (Royal Society for the Protection of Clutches)

This was after 17k ish - (But they should last longer if you dont drive it like you stole it on every journey)

When it goes again...............Group N Spec will be the one to go for. :D

My clutch lasted less than 10,000 as well. I think CUP8OYs comments about "driving the car like its stolen each time" - are pretty relevant for me also though.

im at 23k kms and the second ones starting to get high and hard.

Quote: Originally posted by Moose1978 on 01 February 2004

i think its hydraulic
cable, no clutch master cylidner, no reservioir, no space behind engine, and tehre is a cable on the release arm...

Clio 172 clutch (2002) : £138.66 inc VAT (cover plate and bearing) Part Nos -- 7701471458

Plus about 4-6 hours to fit

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

cable operated clutch.subframe has to be removed so the gearbox can be removed to change the clutch.changed a few clutches at work so i dont think the standard clutch is very good.

Probably a daft question but is the clutch not covered under warranty.

Surely it should not go after one years driving?????

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the friction linings arent covered after the 1st year although there may be some renault contribution.

In answer to some questions above - from my experience on the subject with Renault:

Clutch Approx £ 480 inc fitted :eek: !!!!!

I did manage to get mine under warranty after a lot of moaning that it wasnt up to the job....blah....blah

Renault will basically say that it will be replaced under warranty if its failed prematurely due to a fault, (Oil leaking on to it or something) but the driver is liable if its abuse. They will be able to tell if its been abused by looking at it (mine was blue in places - denoting lots of heat, and the clutch plate distorted - (denoting I was racing someone and just had to get ahead at all costs.....even if it meant ramming the gears in as fast as poss) :devilish:

As regards a contribution from them as a compromise in certain circumstances - that will depend on the mood of the manager on that particular day....... probably

I see.

Well im not overly technical myself, and rely on good old Renault to tell me the truth...LOL....

Their words were..."the clutch is blue... its obviously got very hot... the clutch plate is distorted...showing that youve also snatched at the gears...if we send it back as a warranty claim...they will take one look at it...and send it straight back. Its a clear case of driver abuse.

I moaned a lot...they gave in.

If your clutch goes early...........MOAN !!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Moose1978 on 02 February 2004

cheers Jay so there amy be a chance that Renault will contribute if it is on its way out???
there is a chance.they will put the age and mileage onto a warranty estimator on renault net and that will automatically send back how much contribution is applicable.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the flywheel going blue is just caused by heat from the clutch slipping.if this is your complaint i cant see how they could use that to prove that youve abused it because the blueing can be caused by a slipping clutch anyway.

Cheers Jay

Mine has done 24000 miles and had it a year from new. Car is mint and has been serviced by them at all intervals - literally does not have a scratch

I dont screw it (honest). Whats your thoughts????

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i would expect a contribution if anything seeing as the age and mileage is low.i would have a good moan and see where that gets you.