ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 conversion guide and details (issue 1)

MERCEDES CLS AMG
On my conversion i ran a standard 1.2 rack and column - there was no need for PAS. The benefit of this is that i didnt have to worry about pipes leaking and pump pulleys flying off.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
It was very light actually - i had a better feel of the steering on the car and it NEVER went wrong !!

clio (sleeper)
leon can you please post more pics of various things you have for conversion

would you be able to post a close up of the front and back of the clocks/dials, the engine in various positions? the engine loom closer up and the top/bottom of the UCH.

Thanks
Regards Dean
yeh ok i'll get somemore pics up on here on the weekend for you.why do you want pics of the engine then? the gearbox is still atached to mine aswell.you want pics of the discs and calipers 2?

clio (sleeper)
heres some pics to help you all out (pics included are:engine, gearbox, exhaust manifold, gear linkage, hubs, calipers, discs, engine cover, anti roll bar, steering column, steering rack and driveshafts.ive taken different angles of the engine to show the belts and mounts)
1.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

125.jpg

10k miles btw:rasp:

172 cup'd extreme
photo-16 the pipes on the racked are fooked you will new ones of those

the gear linkages are the same

clio (sleeper)
yeh i think its only one.if you look in pic 15 you can see its been snapped off.
has anyone got a pic of the side of a 172 cup engine?because i need to see which way the belt runs without the aircon pump.
thanks

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
does matts conversion kit come with standard suspension? thinking of going for one now instead of a 1600 but cant afford a set of 172 coilovers yet!

whats required to use a 182 manifold on it?

so am i right in thinking i could go for a full fat engine + box with a cup alternator bracket since i dont have air con & a 182 manifold

whats the best config to go with for what engine/box to use keeping in mind mine is an every day car?

and lastly, mine is an expression with no auto lights or wipers etc does this cause any problems with the uch?

has anyone got a pic of the side of a 172 cup engine?because i need to see which way the belt runs without the aircon pump.
thanks
Pm me your emaill address I'll send you some files. I think jon's coolent pump runs in reverse anyway.

does matts conversion kit come with standard suspension? thinking of going for one now instead of a 1600 but cant afford a set of 172 coilovers yet!

whats required to use a 182 manifold on it?

so am i right in thinking i could go for a full fat engine + box with a cup alternator bracket since i dont have air con & a 182 manifold

whats the best config to go with for what engine/box to use keeping in mind mine is an every day car?

and lastly, mine is an expression with no auto lights or wipers etc does this cause any problems with the uch?
Yep come with stock suspension stuff
182 manifold need a a cat/decat pipe making to fit so either some pipe made to fit or cut the 182 cat up to fit.
Yep you cnn use either manifold on either engine there the same.

Best use normal gearbox Mk2 172 in this case. Only need to get a Cup box if you'r using CUp stuff or don't have the ABS system lines.

Doesn't matter regards UCH they just won't get a signal.

172 cup'd extreme
yeh i think its only one.if you look in pic 15 you can see its been snapped off.
thanks

It still runs the right way even though its hard to picture it, you need the cup alternator/pump mount if your doing away with the aircon - you'll need a cup alternator and power steering pump also as they are different, you could however bodge it or make a custom mount if needed.

clio (sleeper)
thanks for all the help.so i'l need a cup alternator and a cup power steering pump?have you got any pics to help me?
thanks
pm is on the way edde

172 cup'd extreme
Here is the standard belt route for a full fat 172

ff172.jpg

This is a side view of the way i have set mine up missing out the power steering pump shown on the cup set up (picture is of yoz's engine)

cup172.jpg

This shows the cups alternator bracket and belt route

cup172_2.jpg

This is my set up shown from above

110.JPG

clio (sleeper)
thanks for that mate.i noticed on yours that youve left the air con pump on the engine.is that ok?aslong as its not being run by the belt? so basicly the belt just runs from the alternator straight to the other pulley and the tensioner has to be removed yeah?

172 cup'd extreme
on mine pictured there is no air con pump - this is a pully from the Clio DCI which i used for around a year until i had broken the 3rd one (they cant cope with 8k rpm) my set up is now the same as the yozzasport set up pictured above

Lionel Richie
is the water pump spinning the correct way with our setup jon??? i'm trying to figure it out in my head

172 cup'd extreme
yeah - ive set mine up as per the photos you posted ages ago when the engine was at mass? - it flows the right way any how

clio (sleeper)
could i ask you a big favour?because im so dull could one of you take the pic of my engine shown above and photoshop it to show me which way the belt will go?to show how its gonna run the pas and everything.
thanks people

white clio 1.82
i havnt changed my fuel pump but i got the 2 pipes under the car not 3, is this gunna work?

You need a 172 fuel pump that sits in the tank - theres 2 connectors on the pump....1 return & 1 feed

hey matt havnt tried the ecu kit yet, fukin snowin in the valleys! yeah ive got 1 return and feed on there now, my mechanic rekons it will b ok, but in your opinion its a big no no is it?

80MPG BEEZA
hey matt, as you know my cars been running for ages now, i havent got the chassis number from when its been coded, can i have my ecu re-mapped without effecting the immobiliser? is it possible for reno to connect my car up to a comp and find the immobilser code?

MERCEDES CLS AMG
hey matt, as you know my cars been running for ages now, i havent got the chassis number from when its been coded, can i have my ecu re-mapped without effecting the immobiliser? is it possible for reno to connect my car up to a comp and find the immobilser code?

Yeh you can get your ECU re-mapped....it wont affect the immobiliser. If you dont have the chassis number off the ECU kit your buggered. You need this to get your immobiliser code

80MPG BEEZA
so if something goes wrong with the uch or something i'll have to get a whole new set off you, so long as i can get a remap without affecting it :)

clio (sleeper)
on mine pictured there is no air con pump - this is a pully from the Clio DCI which i used for around a year until i had broken the 3rd one (they cant cope with 8k rpm) my set up is now the same as the yozzasport set up pictured above

so which way will i have to run my belt to keep the power steering?and bypass the aircon and can i leave the pump on there if its not being driven by the belt?
thanks

so which way will i have to run my belt to keep the power steering?and bypass the aircon and can i leave the pump on there if its not being driven by the belt?
thanks

I don't see what your problem is? and why its so difficult?

Just ensure the belt goes the ring way round the bits?

I've attached a phot you'df need to use a Cup style thingie on the alternator to allow you to tension the belt.
You could leave the air con pump on but err its extra weight so why would you want to if your not using it?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 58
  clio (sleeper)
thanks mate.i just got confused with the other pics because they wernt atached to the pas pump.thanks mate.

all i need now is a fuel pump, radiator, cup belt and bracket then im ready to start it:approve:

clio (sleeper)
well so far im just finding out more about wether to use the hydrolyc pas or stick with my electric pas and do away with the pump and fit a dummy pulley.also i need to get the rad and fuel pump.i have the electronic accelerator pedel and everything else.
im going to sort out the alternatr belt and everything first.then wire up my loom to my new dash and engine outside the car and label it so its easier for me when im doing it.
then when i got my week off work il get started on it:)
il post up pics of it as i go along to help everyone out and show the conversion in more detail

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
thanks mate.i just got confused with the other pics because they wernt atached to the pas pump.thanks mate.

all i need now is a fuel pump, radiator, cup belt and bracket then im ready to start it:approve:

I thought you meant start it up! :p not start the conversion it's self. Have you replaced cambelt etc?

Regards Dean

clio (sleeper)
lol no get started on it i meant.nah ive been trying to find a radiator and fuel pump for the right price.then once ive got everything il take the pas pump off and the aircon pump off and change the fan belt.im not going to do the cambelt because its only got 9k miles on it.plus il have some spare cash if i sell the aircon and pas pump.:)

clio (sleeper)
only a couple of weeks till my time off work and yet i still cant find a radiator and fuel pump at a decent price!!!!!can anyone help?
the cheapset radiator i can get is 90quid brand new or 60 quid second hand
is that good?
and fuel pump is 100 quid brand new
any ideas on where i could get them cheap?
thanks