ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 conversion guide and details (issue 1)

Lionel Richie
yep got it in one, i'm surprised 1.2 shocks fit 172 hubs!

you HAVE to drill the subframe for the lower front gearbox ount fella

i assume you're using the 1.2 anti roll bar too?

clio (sleeper)
im gong to fit the new 172 wishbones and antiroll bar.im not concerned about the weight thing yet as i only need it rolling.its the wheel pulling in at the top thats worrying me.ive got some shocks on the way now so il try them

but the lower gearbox mount fitted into the square hole thats already there.i have to drill the second skin to fit the nut tho

clio (sleeper)
its slightly back from that isit?bear with me people it is my first conversion.lol il sort that out.
atleast all my electrics work....so far.lol

clio (sleeper)
i think i spoke too soon about the electrics.seems like them wires that run down the drivers side are for the right hand side of the car because ive only got the left rear sidelight working and the number plate light and rear wiper. and also when i switch the ignition on theres like a beeeeeeeeeeep sound coming from the throttle body!is this normal?i dont know if it starts because ive got to make a bracket for the altrenator and change the oil first.

clio (sleeper)
i also wanted to know what the thing is that connects to the airbox and is fitted down by the wheel arch?its got like a valve that opens and closes?:s

clio (sleeper)
yes but it doesnt stop.it keeps doing it all the time the ignition is on....and the wiring down the drivers side....what does that power?just a little help needed save me stripping the interior again
thaks for all your help so far

Last edited:
  clio (sleeper)
right progress update:
everything is connected all that is left is oil change,and then fill all the fluids(brake,power steering and water ect..)

but ive got one problem!
the fuel pump isnt priming when the ignition is turned on.it isnt an imobiliser fault or the imobiliser kicking in i think its due to the rear wiring...ive left the wiring down the passenger side as standard because it simply plugged straight into the new loom could it be that?or could it be the wire running down the drivers side?which i still dont know what they are there for...all that works on the rear of the car at the moment is the left sidelight/indicator/brake light and the rear wiper and number plate light.so im guessing its the wiring running down the drivers side?but i was told that the fuel pump wires run down the passenger side?

if any of the above makes sende to you.lol please could you help me out

thanks leon

fiesta 1.25
This is so tempting but i dont think id have a clue :( .Ill just keep reading maybe ill understand.Can anybody make it more simple for me or is it too complex?

clio (sleeper)
it really isnt that hard mate if you get everything with the engine.like the looms,ecu,uch,dash,driveshafts,shocks,hubs,discs,calipers and so on
all ive ever done is change brake pads and change oil and ive nearly finished mine on my own!

fiesta 1.25
It sounds so hard im just woried that id get the engine in and then not be able to get it working.How much in total has the conversion cost you?

clio (sleeper)
just finished it today!!!!!woohoo!all i gota do now is sort out the bad earth(my brake lights flash with the idicators.lol)
then get the tracking done.

i picked up the engine which only had 11k miles on it and the interior and all the wiring and driveshafts, wishbones, antiroll bar and so on... for 815 quid off ebay!
i bought a scorpion exhaust system off clidge off here for 130 delivered and i bought a set of 172 shocks for 40 so thats 970 quid without all the oil and fluids and belts.so just over a grand and my car is basicly a 172 apart from the shell which i prefer the sleeper look at the moment!il post up some pics when i get chance.lol

clio (sleeper)
Right heres some pics of my car for you...tell me wot you think...taking into consideration a few weeks back i didnt have a clue.lol

BEFORE:
menleon006.jpg

DURING:
menleon009.jpg

menleon008.jpg

menleon013.jpg

menleon015.jpg

menleon048.jpg

menleon049.jpg

menleon050.jpg

AFTER:
menleon052.jpg

menleon056.jpg

menleon054.jpg

just a few bits and bobs to tidy up but the main thing is shes running sweet :D
sounds nice and deep 2!:D

clio (sleeper)
drove it for the first time properly today!its amazing.couple of little things left to wire up but its running sweet!

the one problem ive got though is that the drivers side wheel sticks out more than the wheel on the passenger side :s
its strange...could the engine be in the wrong place?

clio (sleeper)
ive got a couple if things to clarify aswell to help you all out if your doing this conversion!
my car is a mk2 phase 1..
the engine is out of a mk2 phase 2.

• the speedo DOES work without wiring up the abs
  • the standard fuel pump works fine!
  • the rear loom has to be changed along with the front looms(the phase 1 has 2 rear loom running down both side, but the phase 2 has 1 loom which runs down the passenger side only and goes under the rear seat for the fuel pump and round the boot for the lights and everything) (its one complete loom)
  • the standard 1.2 hydrolyc power steering will work on the 172 pas pump if you modify the pipe to go under the alternator
  • if you take the air con pump off and use the existing mounts on the bottom of the alternator and make a custom bracket for the top of the alternator it works fine and saves a hell of alot of cash, because the clio cup alternator brackets are bucks!
  • the rear light cluster need to be changed if using the phase 2 loom(or you can cut and re wire as i did)
  • the front lights need to be re-wired because the connectors are different in phase 1 and phase 2 cars obviously
  • and things like the heater motor and wiper motors have different connectors on them but are easilly wired up!
i hope this doesnt put anyone off because its not as hard as it sounds!
i just want you to know what fiddly bits you might come accross while doing the conversion in a phase 1 car with a phase 2 engine and loom!

clio (sleeper)
well i havent rung them up yet as im not using it untill i sort out the wheels.
just ring them up is the best bet and explain what your thinking of doing and ask for a quote.think it will be a little bit cheaper than a standard 172.not much difference.all depends on the company.seems pointless but when youve got people laughing at your 1.2 badges on the side and then you leave them for dead its all worth it!hehe

LY 182
anybody have first hand experiance of getting the electric rack to work with a 172 conversion?
well done on the conversion mate.

clio (sleeper)
thanks mate!if i did it again i think id do away with the pas pump awell and run a manual rack.as matt black said you get a better feel for the car and its more reliable

• the speedo DOES work without wiring up the abs
  • the standard fuel pump works fine!
Err if you cars not got a gearbox sensor then you need ABS for the speedo to work to work (I've yet to see a Mk2 phase 2 with one (cups excepted))
172 and 1.2 pumps are the same 80 liters capacity at 3bar.

anybody have first hand experiance of getting the electric rack to work with a 172 conversion?
Yup talk to 16V _jon just wire it up, its a stand alone system just needs a speedo input.

clio (sleeper)
Err if you cars not got a gearbox sensor then you need ABS for the speedo to work to work (I've yet to see a Mk2 phase 2 with one (cups excepted))
172 and 1.2 pumps are the same 80 liters capacity at 3bar.

Yup talk to 16V _jon just wire it up, its a stand alone system just needs a speedo input.

my engine was from a mk2 phase 2 car and it has a speedo sensor.it was a 52 plate 172 and it wasnt a cup
renaults are so confusing!why dont they keep things the same rather than changing every model they make!