ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 conversion guide and details (issue 1)

Lionel Richie
matt ran a 1.2 8v pump when he had a 1.8T audi TT engine is his clio it ran out of ooomph at 270bhp approx, so yeah LOL

1.2 clio

fuel pressure w/o vacc = 3.0 bar +/- 0.2
regulated pressure w vacc = 2.5 bar +/- 0.2

172 clio

pump delivery is 3.0 bar +/- 0.6bar

and i also believe the part number on all clio 2 pump sender units is the same, maybe wrong

Lionel Richie
doesn't matter, you can use the mk2 setup, but you'll have to change the entire dash (but that has to come out anyway)

matt ran a 1.2 8v pump when he had a 1.8T audi TT engine is his clio it ran out of ooomph at 270bhp approx, so yeah LOL

1.2 clio

fuel pressure w/o vacc = 3.0 bar +/- 0.2
regulated pressure w vacc = 2.5 bar +/- 0.2

172 clio

pump delivery is 3.0 bar +/- 0.6bar

and i also believe the part number on all clio 2 pump sender units is the same, maybe wrong
Matt used a mitsubishi Evo fuel pump upgrade since the connection lines are the same.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
01012634_1.png

This is what you will need to convert a 172 with A/C to a 172 cup without A/C set up

You will also need a lower ampage alternator

clio (sleeper)
thanks for that mate.i take it their main dealer prices?
i wasnt expecting just the brackets to be 151quid!shocking!
thanks for the help though mate

clio (sleeper)
right folks,my 1.2 engine has sadly passed away!(timing belt snapped) so the conversion is under way!im not in a big rush so im doing it bit by bit.today i took out the old dash and took off the bonnet and bumper and ive located the fuel feed and return to make things easier later on...i will post up pics of my progress as i go along..ive also purchased a full scorpian exhaust system off here and some exhaust wrap for my manifold(all kindly funded by my fiance:).lol )...pics will be up soon..stay tuned!

clio (sleeper)
well today i removed the old engine loom and installed the new one...and due to mine being a phase 1 and the loom is a phase 2 i have to change the wiring for the front lights..but il do all this when its up and running...the dash loom is nearlly out...but i think im going to have problems with the loom to the rear of the car...i have the loom to go to the rear passenger side but theres wires going down the drivers side aswell and i think theyre for the petrol pump so thats going to be a pain in the neck when it comes to wiring them up:mad:
other than that the loom is pretty easy to do it just looks harder than what it is because theres so many wires!!!!

also my car has hydrolyc pas not electronic as i first thought so ill nedd pipe convertors for mine to fit the new engine!!!

ive taken the aircon pump off (now for sale) and made my own custom bracket to tension the belt rather than spending out on a cup one

il post up pics soon for you all to see the progress.:)

i have the loom to go to the rear passenger side but theres wires going down the drivers side aswell and i think theyre for the petrol pump so thats going to be a pain in the neck when it comes to wiring them up:mad:

The loom goes down the passenger side of the car and then round where the back seats are the wires for the pump etc go along.

I'm sure the drivers door wiring goes this way.

clio (sleeper)
ah right so i might be ok then coz ive got the loom for the passenger side.but here are a few wires going down the drivers side too.what would theese be then?

ah right so i might be ok then coz ive got the loom for the passenger side.but here are a few wires going down the drivers side too.what would theese be then?

Side impack sensors and door light switch. I forget I think seat belts on a seperate loom though not sure this late at night will check tomorrow.

clio (sleeper)
alrite mate did you find out what them wires are for on the drivers side?

today i installed the new interior wiring loom, new dash, new pedels, new clocks and the engine is ready to come out apart fromt the mounts and exhaust!
the old rear wiring loom plugged straight into the new wiring loom so that was easy, just hope it works now!

my new radiator was here last friday and my scorpion exhaust system should be here by the weekend!il post up some pics tomorrow!

clio (sleeper)
right so heres a few pics for you all to see what a mess my car is at the moment.today i got the 1.2 lump ready to come out and tomorrow me and my dad are dropping the new lump in.so new pics will be up tomorrow!
menleon006.jpg

menleon013.jpg

menleon012.jpg

menleon011.jpg

menleon014.jpg

menleon015.jpg

menleon017.jpg

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Just done this for a customer ( £3k conversion ) - taken us 1 and a half days to do. Not to my taste ( bodykit ) but it goes well.

Come on lads your dragging your feet !!

145_4532.jpg

145_4533.jpg

clio (sleeper)
lol show off.
im stuck on something at the moment .ive dropped the engine in and i fitted the new hubs and discs but i kept the standard shocks and the wheel seems to stick in at the top.isit because i need to change the wishbones?or isit the shocks?

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Change the wishbones - fit polyurethane bushes in them whilst your at it ( powerflex ) have you used the standard sub frame ?? i would also change the shockers as well mate

clio (sleeper)
Change the wishbones - fit polyurethane bushes in them whilst your at it ( powerflex ) have you used the standard sub frame ?? i would also change the shockers as well mate

yes ive kept the standard subframe.i just measured the wishbones and their the same.so im guessing its the angle the mounts are on the shocks that pull the top of the wheel in!can i keep the standard subframe with the new wishbones and shocks and antiroll bar then?
are the subframes the same width?

Lionel Richie
subframes are the same, the only difference is the 172 one is double skinned in places and has 2 holes for the lower front gearbox mount

you'll have to drill 2 holes into your 1.2 one, thats what i've done, easy peasy

clio (sleeper)
mine fitted straight in though :s strange.but how come when i fit the hubs and stuff and put the wheel on the top of the wheel is sticking right in and the shafts arent straight as a result of this?

Lionel Richie
hang on have you fitted you subframe with the 172 engine and box in the car yet?

you'll have to tell me EXACTLY what ARB, wishbones, hubs, driveshafts, struts you're using

clio (sleeper)
right ive fitted the engine to my existing subframe...im using standard wishbones(but i have the 172 ones ready to fit..their the same size) and im using standard shocks....and im using 172 hubs,discs and calipers.so it must be the shocks are a different fitment even though they fit into the hubs yeah?