ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 converted to LPG

just a thought but could it be done, how much and what would it do for performance... 29p a litre (a full tank for £13 quid is very tempting)!!!

172, Tiguan

I think the Cup race cars at Bedford run on LPG, dont laugh guys its a very sensible idea.

tiTTy & SV650

does LPG steal power? I didnt think it did, just that the car becomes heavier and so you lose power to weight...

LPG doesnt make the car any less powerful at all. My dads mate had it installed in his Land Rover 110. He siad it makes the acceleration smoother along with saving you shed loads of money.

The only problem you have with the 172 is the weight of the tank i suppose, but i think its a sensible idea.

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 03 March 2005
I think the Cup race cars at Bedford run on LPG, dont laugh guys its a very sensible idea.

they do.

/y0z

Polo + Micra

my old boss had my works van converted to LPG.

i dont know why it was sh*t before hand but the LPG just made it worse. it must have been way down on power and the torque was non exsistant.

fat 182

i know someone with a wrx coverted

had custom tanks made that run a long the underside of the sills

cost him about £2000 rekons he will save that back in abou 1 1/2 years

its only worth geting done if you do alot of miles because of the initial outlay

its the second car he has had done last was a 4.6 range rover

if its done properly you shouldnt lose any power

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by admob on 03 March 200529p a litre (a full tank for £13 quid is very tempting)!!!

But its not 29p a litre anymore is it? Its slowly getting to the 50p mark and will continue to rise in price.

EDIT - Forgot to add you suffer worse mpg using LPG too.

Renault Laguna Coupe

It takes a long time to recoup the cost of the conversion, and you end up with a car thats a bit weird. Might work financially if you do loads of miles though.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Guilbert on 03 March 2005
LPG doesnt make the car any less powerful at all. My dads mate had it installed in his Land Rover 110. He siad it makes the acceleration smoother along with saving you shed loads of money.The only problem you have with the 172 is the weight of the tank i suppose, but i think its a sensible idea.

My next door neighbour runs his V8 Landy on LPG. It was already converted when he purchased it, so now hes reaping the benefits of cheap running costs.

Ziel Nurburgring

If your doing loads of miles, get a megane. Surely getting it converted and adding the weight must take something away from the car. Handling characteristics must change and will it keep the same bite and pull you get from petrol?

Dirty E91

Cant you get some cash from the government to cover some of the costs of having the LPG stuff installed and setup?

Clio 197

The government will only give grants for certain models of cars. Clios arent included.

To make things worse; I was speaking to a source in the petrolium industry, who said that the government might introduce duty on LPG this year.

Therefore if you spend say £1000 on a conversion, you will take a lot longer to break even.

As for performance, there are different types of kit, suited to different types of vehicles (varying in price). AFAIK, a cheap basic kit might affect performance, so youll need to spend more money to get the same performance as a standard 172.

Twingo 133

Thing with lpg is as more people go to it the more expensive it will become as the government will just tax it more.

Theres someone on autotrader at the moment selling a 172 which has an LPG conversion. %5k I think there asking for the car ie no more than a normal 172 is worth.

I informed today and the loss of power is a fact, but you allmost wont feel it. Its very little. The problem is that it will be impossible to tune the car because there are too many different kinds of LPG installations. It s impossible to write a program thats good for all of them. In Belgium the price for a 182 is 1500£