ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/cup/182 or CTR

Im thinking of getting one of the above cars, I used to have a Clio Cup but I can not remember how good it was over 100MPH.

I have a 40 mile journy to work mostly on the motorway, Its very early in the morning. The motorway is deserted (0400HRS) so I like to get my foot down.

My question is coming from a MK3 Golf VR6 whcih used to love my 100MPH journy, how will the above cars cope with it?

Thanks lads/lasses

Scott

Astra 1.9cdti XP

CTR will cost you a fortune to run covering those miles everyday. Especially if your booting a it. The Clio wont be much better.

Personally after have both and having just sold a CTR to save money (bought a MK1 172) I would have the CTR if I wasnt thinking about money. But the toys in the 172 would be nice for the journey! :D

What about an Ibiza Cupra TDi?

ido plenty of motorway miles in my 182 and yes its a bit load but i dont get the impression you care about that too much!?! the 182 gets the most all round praise for speed handling and driveability so it was a no brainer for me when i faced the same question. 182 all the way!

Meg on pistonheads £6995

^^ wealthy? 100+ guzzles the fuel - 15/20mpg??

@ 20mpg £3500p.a. on fuel alone :eek:

(my dCi does nearly 40mpg @ 100)

40 miles on the motorway - Id want summat bigger (defo longer wheelbase)

and Id drive @ 99 - latest laser camera technology soon to be introduced include night vision infra red and 2000 metre lenses already in use to catch motorcycles.

AND The Northants team already have a set of CRYSTAL CLEAR 1/10 sec images of a DB9 from 160mph down to 80mph in a 60 limit!

Ive never experienced a CTR with a pleasant ride? In fact in town its a bit jarring. When i had my coilovers the ride was bearable on my 90 mile M25 journey. Cant see a 182 being any worse..

-Rob

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by lincswhite on 16 September 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 16 September 2004

if you do motorway miles DONT get a clio.
why not?
Its not the greatest motorway car. i do 80 miles of motorway a day it needs a 6th.

Well I work a funny shift pattern, I work 3 weeks then get 2 weeks off. So I will not be every day.

The strecth of A63 then M62 has no speed cameras and if I see lights behind me I slow down, common sense really.

So which one is faster above 100MPH, is it by much?

Someone must has driven both at those speeds.

Scott

I do about 90 miles a day omn the motorway and although it is not the best motorway car, it is no problem and not bad on fuel (I probably average 80 - 85 mph).

Could do with 6th gear but not bad considering. I have been commuting for 9 years and had diesel A4, diesel 156, Freelander TD4. I bought the 182 as I wanted something more more fun to drive and do not regret it.

havnt driven but have raced a ctr it was quicker but were are talking about a foot every few seconds not enough to warrant the extra cash imo

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Ive owned both a CTR and a Cup...

The CTR is definately the better motorway cruiser, and its quicker at these speeds too. Up to 100 theres nowt in it, but after that my CTR just keeps going and going!

Not even bad on fuel on the motorway, unless you are in VTEC in 6th, which is 120mph+ ;)

Clio 197

I had a 182, and sadly it had to go, because it was just wasnt quiet enough on the motorway (and at around 90, it was unbearable... so I either went less than 90, or more than 90!).

Not enough punch once youre at motorway speed... I was a wee bit disappointed.

Do bear in mind, I have been spoiled by Turbo Engines in the past.... which worked very well at those speeds.

So it seems the CTR is better on the motorway.

Im really undecided is the CTR worth all that cash compared with the Clio?

Im just going to flip a coin!

Scott

No one has really commented on how loud the CTR is @ 100mph +!

I have had a 04 CTR on rental from Enterprise a few times over the last few months and have taken it to 145 - 150mph and it is a great car but over 100mph the noise can be a bit unbearable!

A great car though and when that VTEC kicks in it sounds like theres a bike engine under the bonnet!!!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by zac_69_uk on 16 September 2004

The 04 CTR I have has about 6k on the clock and is INFINITELY more louder then my Mk2 02 172 with 24k on the clock @ 100+.
Each to their own!

A 172s only good for mpg on the motorway if you keep it under about 82mph, 4000rpm. I think youll miss the longer 5th gear of your Golf.

I wish I had a 6th gear in the 172.