ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup brake bias - rear brakes compensator fault? Not the MOT issue!!

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Hello all,

I use my bog-standard Cup for hillclimbs and sprints. For obvious reasons it hasn't seen much use this year, but has done two events since lockdown and it's locking its rear brakes more than it used to. At Curborough on Saturday it tried to spit me into the barriers...

Got away quite lightly, just some repairable damage to the bumper.

Can the compensator fail? If so, is the one from ECP any good? Appreciate I'd need to lose the spring mechanism. https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/bosch-brake-regulator-130745277

Cheers, Rob.

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Those look a great idea... but I need to keep mine standard for the class regs.

Anyone got any experience with the ECP regulator, or any other ideas for what might be wrong with it?

Cheers.

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Just to conclude this one in case it helps anyone else... Turns out Renault still sell the Cup compensator, for not much more than the ECP part linked above.

Now fitted the brakes feel much better. I haven't competed yet, but it feels much happier and more stable on the brakes.

Clio 172 cup
Hi Rob

sorry to reopen an old post but I’m also after a new compensator for my 172 cup but it doesn’t look like Renault are selling them. Do you happen to know the OEM 172 cup compensator part number?
If not is the Bosch Euro car parts regulator you linked the same as the one you got from Renault?
Also when fitting it to a non ABS cup do you just remove the spring from the lever arm and leave it floating?
The only information out there on the rear brakes is the MOT failure issue!

cheers
Martin

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Hi Martin,

I’m afraid I don’t have the part number. Renault supplied directly to my local garage who fitted it.

The Bosch one looks identical except for the spring. I suppose it could be valved differently, but you’d think that’s unlikely. So yeah, just remove the spring…

Cheers, Rob.

thatflookguy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 172 Turbo
Don’t suppose anyone has the Bosch number for the valve supplied by ECP do they?

thatflookguy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 172 Turbo
Managed to find a new TRW version on the internet for £75 delivered. Nice to have fluid flowing through the rear calipers again :)