ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup brake problem

RenaultSport clio 17
I have had my cup for nearly 3 years from new and it hasn’t ever caused me a problem till recently.

I started to suffer a lack of braking effect at all speeds, which made the brake feel very wooden and the pedal got gradually harder. Servo I thought, so had it changed. Problem still there! Valve and lines changed next (not sure exactly which bits) still doing it.

As we speak it's in the shop for a new master cylinder. Personally I don’t think this will do it, as I would expect a spongy pedal if that was faulty.

Basically I would like to hear from anyone who has suffered the same thing and/or some worthwhile comments on any other angles it might be. Pads and discs are fine.

There was no bulletin on the Renault system for this problem.

Thanks in advance

PS: car is standard

Half stripped mk2 172
could it be that you hava an air clog in the brake lines somewhere, if you changed the whole brake setup it could be something very stupid, which you might have overlooked, Vince

RenaultSport clio 17
Do you mean air in the system?

The problem isnt a feeling of being soft so I dont think it might be that. I should add that the work is being done by the dealer on warranty, so I have to assume they are covering these angles. I have chated with the mechanic each time work has been done and he is beginning to run out of idea's.

It is possible the master cylinder will cure it, I'm just not hopefull at present.

Thanks

RenaultSport clio 17
Hi

Thought I would complete the story for reference purposes, should anyone else experience this.

The problem did indeed turn out to be the Master cylinder, which surprised me and the mechanic doing the work.

The problem on this occasion was a brake pedal that went very firm/hard and you got very little braking effect. It felt like a servo assist/problem with the vacum etc, but turned out to be the Master Cylinder.

Hope this helps if you experience the same thing.