ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 CUP: Cleaned, Mapped and Dyno'd

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Well it's been a pretty busy week or so for my 172 cup. After having my catcam 428's hanging around the house for 6 months, i finally had the money to get them fitted. So Sideways Danny popped upto my parents house along with a cambelt kit and got cracking. Fairplay to the guy he doesn't hang around. Despite my best effort of constant chatting he got the whole job done in under 3hrs!:eek: All i can say is he did a bloody good job. Cam timing spot on! Thanks Danny!

So had the car booked in with Matt(Icarus) @ tour-de-force on wednesday for a re-map. Very nice set up at TDF! Matt was extremely helpful and knowledgeable bloke and was impressed with how strong the car was. After a couple of hrs on the dyno we got the results we were looking for! 194.6bhp and 158.7 ft/lb @ the fly, with 161.6 bhp @ the wheels!:D

DSC02127.jpg

DSC02129.jpg

The car was mapped with the cold air feed removed from the V6 espace airbox. Car feels very strong in the midrange and more tractable.

Few pics from the day:

17032010219.jpg

17032010220.jpg

17032010221.jpg

17032010223.jpg

17032010224.jpg

17032010225.jpg

Just incase your wondering the full engine mod list is:

Catcam 428's
AWT Matched inlets
P.T.F.E Gaskets
Espace V6 Airbox
Pipercross RACE filter
Ported Throttle body (headtune.co.uk)
Prospeed Exhaust and Decat
Tour-De-Force Remap

Quick vid on the dyno:

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l162/Quade1881/Clio Cup/?action=view&current=17032010036.flv

Yesterday i tagged on a dyno day at Powerstation with the clio16valver.co.uk guys and girls. Was a pretty small turnout, but they were a bunch of real nice peeps. So i ran it on the dyno without the cold air feed attached and got 195bhp and 155ft/lb at the fly. Torque curve was identical to the results at tour-de-force with a small dip in the curve at around 3700rpm. So reattached the caf to the airbox and we ran again. Much better result! 197bhp and 157.6 ft/lb, with that dip in the torque curve gone! :D

DSC02150.jpg

So after spending a bit of money on the car and neglecting it over the winter i decided to give it a proper clean. So after a few hrs it looked like this::D

DSC02142.jpg

DSC02140.jpg

DSC02145.jpg

DSC02141.jpg

DSC02146.jpg

DSC02149.jpg

DSC02143.jpg

DSC02144.jpg

Its taken nearly 2 1/2 years but almost the way i want it. Just some 15" oz ultraleggeras, R888's and new discs and pads and its done! With the weight of the car now at roughly 925kg im at a nice healthy 216bhp/ton!:cool: Sorry bout the quality of the pics but you get the idea!:approve:

Just want to thank Sideways Danny and Matt @ tour-de-force for their hard work on my cup, Tom @ JMS for getting me the filter on time and Jay (burp) for all the little jobs he's done for me over the last 18months!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Looks cracking mate, a proper healthy engine. Do you only run one seat all the time?

Have you done any crazy weight reduction which i maight not have though off?

Looks cracking mate, a proper healthy engine. Do you only run one seat all the time?

Have you done any crazy weight reduction which i maight not have though off?

Cheers chris. Yeah i only run just the one seat in the front, passengers weigh too much! lol. Its in family mode at the mo so does have the rear bench back in at the mo!:eek: Looked at your project thread and you've pretty much done the same as me. Ive removed one of my horns, engine eyes and the hidden tar from the car (under scuttle panel, inside the doors and inside the engine bay). Being a 172 cup i benefit from no aircon and thinner glass in the front windows. When i get the ultraleggera's i should lose another 15kg or more. So would really like to get down to 900kg!:D

Looking good Dan!

I was looking into ultraleggeras, bit expensive though :(

Yeah they are, but if they're gonna be my permanent wheels its worth it. They look awesome and i dont think there is much out there thats lighter! Should get half the money bk selling the turini's though.

RS RIP
wow nice results ! bet that's a lot of fun to drive at 900 and so kg :approve:

Did you also remove all the plastic/seatbelts/doorlining(where speakercompartiment was) etc from the back ?

If so, is the noise still bearable on daily driving ?

Oh yeah, is that a genuine splitter or.... ?

ITB'd MK1
Not a bad result. That car's always been a freak though hehe

dont forget we found time to remove some sound deadening while the engine was apart too ;)

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Absolute peach. Dont think there is a better one on the forum tbh.

Spotless too, well done!

Gaz

Not a bad result. That car's always been a freak though hehe

dont forget we found time to remove some sound deadening while the engine was apart too ;)

Cheers Danny! Atleast we can now say its a genuine 195+bhp! :cool: Got a fancy for a standalone ecu and itb's, thats for next year;)

What sort of money for cams, fitted and mapped?

Cams new will cost you in the region of £700. My mapping was £335 plus the cost of the cambelt kit and fitting. So anywhere from £1000-1300. I was lucky and got some second hand 428's and an excellent mechanic at mates rates!;)

wow nice results ! bet that's a lot of fun to drive at 900 and so kg :approve:

Did you also remove all the plastic/seatbelts/doorlining(where speakercompartiment was) etc from the back ?

If so, is the noise still bearable on daily driving ?

Oh yeah, is that a genuine splitter or.... ?

Everything has been removed from the back. I've even removed the door cards, carpet, sound deadening, air bags, roof lining, tweeters, and the belts from the front of the car. It is quite loud, but i can cope. The splitter is carbon fibre (KTEC Racing).

Track 172 & Golf R32
Cams new will cost you in the region of £700. My mapping was £335 plus the cost of the cambelt kit and fitting. So anywhere from £1000-1300. I was lucky and got some second hand 428's and an excellent mechanic at mates rates!;)

Not bad probably decent price for the gain tbh

I removed my CC and acoustic valve yesterday to make room for the brake vents. Was much easier than I thought :)

Yeh I can see a lot of stuff that can come out of mine, like a massive wodge of orangy sound deadening behind the dash that looks tricky to get out.

Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup
Someone metions Ultralegerra's? I have 17's if your interested lol.

Looks spot on mate, never used to like twins exhaust's but that looks great.