ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Drive Problem #HELP#

Clio 172 cup mk2
Hi guys i hope someone can help

i was steadily accelerating off a roundabout and i lost all drive. engine still works fine, gearbox still works and feels fine, clutch doesnt feel different. whilst driving i put it in 4th and the speedo still worked but no drive. Got the car home and got the wheels off the ground. First suspision was its popped a drive shaft off? no sign of that so my worst suspision is the diff. when i turn the drivers side driveshaft it feels a little clicky/rough (passenger shaft feels smooth) and when spinning drivers wheel the other wheel should spin the opposite way but nothing happens and the same for the passenger side. The car has only done 36k. Anyone heard or know of the fault?

PLEASE HELP

80MPG BEEZA
sounds like driveshafts but its wrid to just lose drive all of a sudden normal driving, mines weird at the min sometimes when im giving it beans it doesnt put the power down smootly i thought it was losing grip at first but it just seems to struggle to put the power out smoothly dont know if i need it remapping or whether its a cv joint or something

Clio 172 cup mk2
thanks for the swift reply :)

i just read a thread about the circlips on the shaft inside the diff breaking/replacing?
ive had no gearbox problems with changing or whining it just like something went click and loss of all drive, i know the clutch and box are working fine because while sitting still i can put it in 4th and let the clutch out and the speedo will climb to indicate all is working apart from drive from box to wheels which must be a fault in the diff?
anyone more idea's opiniongs would be a great help

Clio 172 cup mk2
lemonnobby,

thanks for the info, read the thread from a while back of a guy with the same problem, not sure if he had the same car but im mechanically minded but just cant be bothered doing this myself as i dont have time. Ill take it to a trusty local garage and tell them of the problem and point them in the right direction:)

THANKS FOR THE INFO

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
No problem mate. you dont often have a problem before it goes it is a very funny one and have mostly seen it with scenics at work.

Clio 172 cup mk2
Just out of curiosity, does this job require the gearbox out?

I've got a local garage doing the job who I know I can trust and have already briefed them on the job. I don't want them stinging me on labour costs!!!!

Thanks for the advice

BMW M135i
Thought as long as you can recover the old circlip the box can stay in? Just nearside driveshaft out.

Clio 172 cup mk2
Thanks guys,
car is currently in the garage and they have confirmed that it is as you said! parts on order and then car will be put back together!

Im a bit dissapointed that this has happened to me but hey at least i dont need a gearbox!

Thanks very much guys!!!!