ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup engine swap

VRS, 200CUP, S1
my 172cup has gone bang and am sourcing another engine, is it easier to remove box + engine and replace engine on the floor and drop the whole lump back in or just take the engine out on its tod?!?
please help as have never removed an engine before?!?

Ben_p's guide looks quite good....

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
my 172cup has gone bang and am sourcing another engine, is it easier to remove box + engine and replace engine on the floor and drop the whole lump back in or just take the engine out on its tod?!?
please help as have never removed an engine before?!?

Ben_p's guide looks quite good....

1 word. READ ...

Try and read alot on here if you can, thats what i did before changing a engine and i managed to do it all myself, ye it was hard but i learnt ALOT, and its all down to here basicly,

As you have seen on ben_p's thread he says drop the engine out through the bottom of which i did, as i had to return the crane, put it this way it wa hard, have you got a crane you can borrow?

You have all the tool's etc? axle stands ?

@ Tucker.. Why not? i did mine on the floor, even walked the engine to the right positison so i could drop the car back down on the engine, and hasnt damaged nothing

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Yee its preety much simple, should take a couple of hours to remove the engine etc,

Dont remove the suspension tho, leave them in and just unbolt on the hubs, you might need a bottom ball joint remove tho, as that goes under the hub, its a right git to remove.

ValverInBits
i'd tend to go out the top. get a crane, remove the rad to give you extra room to manovre, and lift engine and box out the top. Swap the box over on the floor (new clutch). The back in again.

A few notes:
Make sure you've got belt history on the new engine, or preferably, get the tools and do the belts before starting the swap.
If your clutch has seen any kind of reasonable use, you'd be mad not to replace.
You'll need a smooth floor, for jacking, and particularly for the engine crane.
You'll want a mate to help, even if they are quite inexperienced, it will help.
Have a good ol reccy the day before you start. Decide how your going to disconnect PAS+AC
You'll need the AC regassing after your done, and be aware that releasing the AC gas to atmosphere is technically ilegal.
As far as the engine loom goes, it can be usefull to have a few photos. But normally, for refit, just lay the loom back over the engine how it went and it should become fairly obvious where everything went.
You'll need a 30mm(iirc) socket and a massive breaker bar to get the hub nuts off. It can be avoided, but it's really not easy. - also it recommended you have new hub nuts for refit.
You'll need gearbox oil. You'll need coolant. You'll need PAS fluid.
Don't just give yourself a day. Make sure you have some free time the day after, even though you may not need it.
Hope that helps

340i
i'd tend to go out the top. get a crane, remove the rad to give you extra room to manovre, and lift engine and box out the top. Swap the box over on the floor (new clutch). The back in again.

A few notes:
Make sure you've got belt history on the new engine, or preferably, get the tools and do the belts before starting the swap.
If your clutch has seen any kind of reasonable use, you'd be mad not to replace.
You'll need a smooth floor, for jacking, and particularly for the engine crane.
You'll want a mate to help, even if they are quite inexperienced, it will help.
Have a good ol reccy the day before you start. Decide how your going to disconnect PAS+AC
You'll need the AC regassing after your done, and be aware that releasing the AC gas to atmosphere is technically ilegal.
As far as the engine loom goes, it can be usefull to have a few photos. But normally, for refit, just lay the loom back over the engine how it went and it should become fairly obvious where everything went.
You'll need a 30mm(iirc) socket and a massive breaker bar to get the hub nuts off. It can be avoided, but it's really not easy. - also it recommended you have new hub nuts for refit.
You'll need gearbox oil. You'll need coolant. You'll need PAS fluid.
Don't just give yourself a day. Make sure you have some free time the day after, even though you may not need it.
Hope that helps

Some very good advice!