ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup from the start

Fiesta zetec s
I bought my 172 cup about 2 weks ago and it needed some attention to say the least. Unknown to me it had had a front end bump and had been repaired to an ok standard. When i picked the car up it needed a good wash, the grill was from a 1.2 clio, the absorber that attaches the bumper to the slam pannel was missing so the bumper was loose, the CV joint boots were loose, the exhaust mount was wrecked, the battery was loose, it was miss fireing and the front springs were off a standard clio i think so it was siting really high in the front. After a few quid had been spent in the for sale section of the forum i started sorting all the problems out and a few other little things. its nearly there now and ready for a claying i think.

Last edited:
  Fiesta zetec s
The pictures above are when i picked the car up, below are what was looking like on Sunday, i've fitted the absorber now aswell so the bumper is nice a flush with the headlights.

Last edited:
  Fiesta zetec s
I swapped my 1.6 hyundai coupe for it. No cash exchanged hands. Its nearly there now though.

ITB'd 182...
Good little car matey!

You know any of the Big-End lot?

Theres a few members on here from down there :)

Fiesta zetec s
I'm going to try and pick up a splitter when one comes about. Got my private plate to go on too but i'm still waiting for the log book for the car to come before i can go down the DVLA and get it put on. Yer i'm mates with Dan Pritchard with the RB 182 and i know Ash with the black 172. Probably know some others if i seen them by face :)

Fiesta zetec s
Yep. I've been through the 106 stage then the saxo stage now i'm in the clio stage. haha

Fiesta zetec s
I decided to go for the half leather front seats out of a 182 so their fitted and i had to take my fog lights out because one didn't have a lead going to it and the other kept filling up with water so i'm not sure what to do with the holes yet. Still on the look out for a splitter and a rear leather bench and posibly a towing eye because there isn't one in the car at all. I'll try and get more pictures up on wednesday.

Fiesta zetec s
Yer I was thinking that. Anyone know where I can get the cold air intakes to fit the fog light hole size?

Fiesta zetec s
Yer, you got any inside info on it. any idea's why there were lots of problems and a front end bump?

Fiesta zetec s
With the fog lights removed and new renault sport badge.
Also i took a pic of the bottom gearbox mount to see if anyone can tell me if you think it needs replacing.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Yer, you got any inside info on it. any idea's why there were lots of problems and a front end bump?

I dont sorry mate - I went to see it and walked away from it, from the bits and pieces I found wrong with it mate, I asked the guy there why it had a front end bump and he said it didn't have one, I said b****cks there is paint everywhere on the front end, he was adamant that it had not been in a front end smack - there is overspray on the inside of the wheels and the interior was a bit stained :/

I didn't know about the springs on the front - but it probably had that hard a hit they replaced them and didn't put cup ones on it.

I truely am sorry - would never wish something like that on anyone.

Fiesta zetec s
The cars fine now, i dont think it had a hard hit because the original radiator is still on the car. Everythings dun though. didnt take much, just bought the absorber that goes between the front bumper and the slam pannel so the bumper is sitting up flush, put lowering springs all round anyway, bought the sport grille and the CV joint clips cost me £1.04. lol. I've changed the interior for 182 leather and the interior that came out had a good foaming and its in perfect condition now. The wheels had had a refurb on the faces but not the inside so the paint on the wheels is from the refurb, i'm thinking of goin white or gunmetal with them anyway so they be sorted then. It has been a pain in the ass but i'm glad its all come together now. The timing belt is being done next week and the car garage is covering the cost so thats good. All thats left now is the private plate when the log book comes through and a splitter.

I think I saw this car in Builth Wells a couple of weekends ago at the Severn Valley Stages Rally? Saw a 172 with Turinis and a standard looking grille, looked just like it anyway!

Fiesta zetec s
I only picked the car up about 3 or 4 weeks ago so maybe it was the previous owner, not sure how long it was in the garage for sale?

Clio 172
The cars fine now, i dont think it had a hard hit because the original radiator is still on the car. Everythings dun though. didnt take much, just bought the absorber that goes between the front bumper and the slam pannel so the bumper is sitting up flush, put lowering springs all round anyway, bought the sport grille and the CV joint clips cost me £1.04. lol. I've changed the interior for 182 leather and the interior that came out had a good foaming and its in perfect condition now. The wheels had had a refurb on the faces but not the inside so the paint on the wheels is from the refurb, i'm thinking of goin white or gunmetal with them anyway so they be sorted then. It has been a pain in the ass but i'm glad its all come together now. The timing belt is being done next week and the car garage is covering the cost so thats good. All thats left now is the private plate when the log book comes through and a splitter.

Good mate, I'm glad your happy with.

Sounds mint with all the stuff you've done to it! :)

Fiesta zetec s
I just got home from work and the clunking noise coming from my car was doing my head in so i decided to have a go at pin pionting the problem. I checked the top gearbox mount and the two 13mm nuts either side of the mount were finger tight. Now their tightened the car feels a lot more solid and the clunking has gone, thank god! I'll get some recent pics up tomoro.

Fiesta zetec s
I decided to go for the 3/4 height number plate to get rid of all the rubish about the garage i bought the car from at the bottom.

Fiesta zetec s
Carbon fibre splitter arived friday so i fitted that friday nite, while i was in the mood for messing with the car me and my mate cley bared and polished it and faire play it came up really well. Also sprayed my bullets yellow today and gave the calipers another coat and sprayed the rear bumper insert graphite grey to match in with the rear badges. A new number plate went on the back too to get rid of all the garage advertising. I'll try and get some pictures up during the week but my mobile broadband wont let me do it on my lap top.

Fiesta zetec s
Some pics after the car got clayed. I've fitted fogs now and sprayed the bullets yellow too. Bring on the South Wales meet now :rasp:

Last edited:
  ITB'd 182...
Looks lovely Grant!

Wish i could of made yesterday and had a good look at it!

Like the anthra bages :)

Fiesta zetec s
If i'd known we were in ur local area i would have let u know, but it was a bit of a random one going to abergavenny bus station. lol. As far as the car goes i've done the rear diamond the same colour as the from now and i'm toying with some yellow mirror caps but i duno weather to take the risk of it looking pants?

Fiesta zetec s
I was talking to the boys yesterday and i'm thinking yellow mirror caps an white wheels with a yellow pinstripe round the outside :D

Fiesta zetec s
I'll get it done when i'm back off holidays in 2 weeks, a trip down prospeed be next then