ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup oil

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Just got my cup and i want to change the oil my local motor factors offers valvoline syn 5w 40 has any one else used this oil or should i go to my local renault dealer and buy some elf 5w 40.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Its the same engine as the proper 172, so just do a search for oil...and you'll see some of the recommendations. Silkolene 5w40 is a popular one, and if I remember correctly Oilman on here (IIRC www.opieoils.co.uk) can do it reasonably cheap.

Donny

Caterham 1400 Supersport
16v_jon said:
elf 5w 40 is £23 from renault for 5 litres why spend 40-50 notes on silkolene?

Because it's better?

A lot depends on whether you track the car and how often your oil is changed I guess.

Personally i'm happy using Silkolene Pro S in my cars. :)

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
got the valvoline syn 5w-40 as the motor factors is only down the hill. But one small prob is that i took the sump plug out and on the plug is a steel washer with a rubber insert the washer i got from renault is just a plain copper washer shall i use the new copper one on its own and discard the steel one. sorry if i sound thick but im new to clios used to minis and hondas :eek:

Caterham 1400 Supersport
I just changed my oil and filter yesterday and bought a washer from Halfords (generic Renault one) and the 'proper' one from Renault. They are the same size, the Renault one has the rubber insert as you mentioned, the part no. is R77 00 266 044 (01A06D Washer) priced at £2.50 + VAT!!!

I decided to fit the proper Renault one, and noticed the one I removed had a split rubber so I couldn't have reused it anyway. As for whether your one will work, I honestly don't know, although I don't see why not?

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Job done copper washer used no leaks but the computer had a funny five mins sayin there was no oil and the serv light comin on even though the engine was full and had been run.:S

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
regarding my last post im a bit confused. after fillin the engine with 5 litres of oil i ran the car for a few mins checked everything no leaks etc. Went to the cashpoint got back in the car and the serv light came on and the trip was reading ------- as if no oil. checked the dipstick and it seemed a little low still. Banged a bit more(nearly a litre!!) oil in and it was readin spot on max and the trip was happy. Thought i would re check it this morn when i got up and the trip is oooo-- and the dipstick is only halfway between min and max. theres no leaks and it aint burnin any where the fook is the oil goin surely the trip and dipstick cant be wrong.