ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup or 182 Cup?

Hey everyone :)

I am currently looking to get rid of my car and buy something that is going to be good on track. I want to start doing some track days and have something that can do that and be a nice every day car too.

I have enough £££ to get the 182 Cup but is it better than the 172? I have heard it is a "softer" version and maybe not as good? Is this wrong?

What would you all recommend?

Cheers,

Kim :star:

Golf 7R
Welcome, wether it be a 182 or 172 and it is followed by the word CUP it will be fantastic on the track, the whole renaultsport range can hold its own!

Scirocco GT 210
If you're going to lower yourself to the poverty spec of the cups, go for the 172 cup. As IMO the 182 cup is rather pointless - it's just a regular 182 with a really crap interior and a lower spec with a mere 20kg weight saving which no one will notice.

The 182 cup's downfall is the fact that you can get FF 182s with cup packs. You can't get FF 172s with cup features, making the 172 cup much more worthwhile.

Z4 Roadster
for me, the cup is fine as an every day drive. It's still comfy enough etc, but obviously doesn't have all the toys of a 182 cup.

However, on the track, I think the proper weight reduction in the 172 cup will prove excellent. Not yet taken it on the track, but won't be long!

I would guess for you, it depends whether you want the toys?

M2 Competition
If you're after a trackday tool, i would save the money and get a 172 cup mate :)

Then, spend the money you saved on a few mods, ie coilovers, exhaust etc

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels
Lol, in the summer they are like being in an oven on track without it.

Who uses aircon on a track anyway ?

All cars ever made come with aircon 250 as standard ....... 50 mph 2 windows down !!!! lol aircon 250

lol....I went out in the 225 at Oulton on a RS day with the Aircon on, was nice not sweating your nuts off for a change....lol

Then back to reality in an old Mk1 so I cracked the sunroof open and still sweated my nuts off...;)

172 Cup I reckon, no trick bits and the original 'Cup'!!

soon: 172 Cup
iStock_can%20of%20worms.jpg

MINI JCW
182 cup as it has air con, i also think the 182's look better than the 172's, i prefer the exhaust

al

ST on the way...
172 CUP.

As said above if your going to go down the CUP route, it might as well be a proper one! ;)

2004 1.2 Dynamique
182 cups interior is shite so my vote gets 172 cup although i would rather have normal 182

182 cup for me, air con and ABS, plus looks a lot better with the wheels and exhaust and at least you get a choice in colour... 172 cups are so common these days

al

ST on the way...
182 cup for me, air con and ABS, plus looks a lot better with the wheels and exhaust and at least you get a choice in colour... 172 cups are so common these days
Lol, orange..............or blue!! ;)

You could have the 172 cup in blue or silver.

Lol, orange..............or blue!! ;)

You could have the 172 cup in blue or silver.

True, depends on the money, either way, both cars are good.. but i like my air con, stripes, wheels and exhaust..

LY V6 with Recaros
172 cup, imo that's the 'proper' cup, I don't really see much point in the 182 cup, I'd rather just have the ff for the amount of difference there is in weight.

M

M7CUO_V6

I think a 172 cup. Probly the best for track use, because its lightest( by about 80Kg than 182 cup)

The 172 cup looks nicest(v nice colour and best wheels), i dont like the 182 wheels really. 172 cup is the raw drivers car out of the two + fair bit cheaper, but bit older.

I would get a trophy if you have the money, best of both worlds, aslong as you like the red with grey wheel combo.

Golf 7R

Yes with less than 2000 left according to the DVLA i can see how these are "Common" :S

172 Cup 2003
172 Cup purely because its the best Cup if you want all the toys 182 FF with Cup packs..but get 172 Cup and spend the rest on her...she'll love you for it

172 Cup
I just wish the 172 cup didnt have the thumb grips that are made of cheese :(

Still has to be the 172 Cup...

2nd023Medium.jpg

Tangoed Works
If you want a cup get the 172. The 182 cup to me isnt really a cup, just a bit of marketing mish mash. 182 FF with packs makes more sense than a poverty spec 182 cup.

172cup
can't beleive people are on about ABS as if it is going to swing the vote. having driving the ff and my cup... i can definately say without hesitation, the responsive brakes on the cup beautifully retain the progressive control. so much better than the f f. very difficult to lock up under heavy braking. obviously if you stamp on the pedal without knowing what your doing, you're going to lock up. but then any half decent driver will know not only how to get out of it, but how to prevent it, and should be able to feel the point of loss.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
can't beleive people are on about ABS as if it is going to swing the vote. having driving the ff and my cup... i can definately say without hesitation, the responsive brakes on the cup beautifully retain the progressive control. so much better than the f f. very difficult to lock up under heavy braking. obviously if you stamp on the pedal without knowing what your doing, you're going to lock up. but then any half decent driver will know not only how to get out of it, but how to prevent it, and should be able to feel the point of loss.

Oh dear...