ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup or 182 cup?

Nothing at the mo :(
Hey all :D

Looking to get a clio soon and cant decide on what i want.. here's pros and cons that i think the reasons why i cant decide

PROS

Cheaper to buy
Just cheaper

CONS

no cruise control
no fancy twin exhaust
182 looks better

PROS

Cruise control is the main reason i like it!!!

CONS

alot more expensive

320d
172 Cup looks far better than a 182 Cup imo.

There is no difference between the looks apart from the exahust and the wheels. The wheels are better on the 172 cup anyway because everybody puts turini's on there 172/182 anyway.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Lol cruise control the reason for choosing a car!

You will hardly ever use it, unless there are lots of specs where u live.

Suzuki Swift Sport
There isnt that much diff in my opinion, 172 is maybe a little sharper, but I prefer the feel of the 182 cup packed suspension (feels a little more planted somehow to me) Also maybe worth bearing in mind that a lot of insurance companies dont like 172 cups due to the number that get written off (probs down to having no abs)

Megane R26
Don't see the point in the 182 Cup - just get a 'normal' 182 with Cup Packs, then you get even more toys!

Clio 172 Cup
I've never driven a 182 but recently bought a 172 Cup. It was a no brainer for me cos it's a second car for weekends/track days so the lightweight, lack of abs etc is perfect but it does feel edgy and raw (I've had a 197 R27 to compare it to). Depends whether that's what you are after. Both the 182 and 172 would be fine choices in good condition and some bargains out there at the mo.

well i will have roughly 4kish to spend in jan next year * i know its ages but i like goals when i save*

So i might look for a 182.. if not a 172 cup

182Cup if you want AC, cruise/limiter.

I personally do actually use the speed limiter quite often but that's because I like to be able to watch the actual road ahead and keep my license at the same time :) No way could I live without AC either. I use it pretty much year round. If you want a misted up car in the winter, and molten b****cks in the summer, then get the 172 ;)

Did you just prove my point?

sorta. i have seen a 182 cup with 61k on clocks.. full RFSH and recent belts all changed.. this was on 4100..

Not pointing it out in a nasty way lol. but some people dont know there value sometimes.. there are some bargain to be had :D

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
sorta. i have seen a 182 cup with 61k on clocks.. full RFSH and recent belts all changed.. this was on 4100..

Not pointing it out in a nasty way lol. but some people dont know there value sometimes.. there are some bargain to be had :D
Rather a 172 at that price TBH. TBF though, I know f**k all about clio's.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Profile 3mm lower
Front bumper with additional lower section
Enlarged rear spoiler above hatch
Revised suspension
Higher front spring rates
Front track 20mm wider
New wheel rim offset
Overall weight reduced by 89kg
Spare wheel removed (replaced by 2 anti-puncture inflators)
Air conditioning removed
Side airbags removed
Xenon headlamps removed
Rear headrests removed
Central rear seat belt removed
Auto-lights removed
Headlight washers removed
Heat reflecting windscreen removed
Thinner glass used throughout
Engine cover removed
Leather/alcantara seats replaced with cloth
Sound deadening adapted
Braking system redesigned without ABS
Front castor angle increased by 3°
Rear track 10mm wider
16"x7" Speedline 'Turini' alloy wheels

The 172Cup is around 80kg lighter than the 172 and has slightly better handling and speed (on paper). It also has no AC, no ABS or TC. Poorer quality interior.

EDIT: Served by a proper list :D

hmmm.. stuck between a 172 and a 182 still lol.. dunno if the 182 cup is worth getting tbh. there a few hundred more down here and if its just cosmetic differences im not to worried

hmm i tihnk it will just come down to whats around at the time

I have worked out i can get 6k by september.. so i wonder what i can get for that

well there's much down near me atm. so hopefully there will be in septembe

anything i need to know aobut them? im taking i should make sure the cambelt and tensioners have all been done? if not whack of about £400 for that?

Weeman sucks ****
The 172Cup is around 80kg lighter than the 172 and has slightly better handling and speed (on paper). It also has no AC, no ABS or TC. Poorer quality interior.

EDIT: Served by a proper list :D

they're all poor quality interiors, they're french lol.

172 cups are so much quicker in the twisties don't forget...than anything

172 cup is better then a 182 cup??

How can i tell the difference from a 172 and a 172 cup then?

Depends on personal choice really. Most of the full fat heroes on here will tell you that the 182Cup is worst car ever made. Total rip-off, poverty spec etc. If you don't mind not having AC, then get the 172Cup if you prefer the looks. The 182Cup is very well secified, and it doesn't have the cheap tatty 'toys' that either don't work properly, or keep breaking.