ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup or 182 Trophy

ff 182
Hi guys cant make my mind up i love them both although the 182 is newer and better.im just stuck any help welcome.

Cheers Pete

Lionel Richie
what makes you say the 182 is better out of interest??

my order of the "best clios" (1998on)

mk2 1.2 (Hardcore version)
mk1 172
mk2 182 Trophy
mk2 cup
mk2 172 - mk2182

182 Trophy
Trophy, never had another Cliosport but as said above its the newest and if you can afford one go for it.

I picked mine up on Friday and don't regret it one bit although its very bumpy when sat at 80.

MKIII 138
only thing id swap the cup for is the trophy, but even then its a close run thing when you could get same performance with H&R or Leda and same pace due to being lighter etc..

VaVa
Trophy. Suspension, Seats, Rarity (although Cups will catch up as a few more hit the ditch over the winter), Plaque, 10 bhp, A/C, TC..... if cost isn't a problem it' a no brainer imho.

I don't like the colour of the Trophy Alloys or the trophy graphis down the side, but that can be changed.

Other than that I would love to get my hands on a Trophy.

On a side note, the other winter when the blizzard hit and cars were stuck for hours on roads all over the country, I saw many BMW's and other cars with high tech toys in ditchs and crashed at the side of the road, the whole "Cups dieing in winter" thing is getting pretty tired and old now, the fact the cars loaded with driver aids were crashed in the winter means one thing.

Its the person behind the wheel that plays a major factor, put an idiot behind the wheel of the most high tech car and you will be cutting him out of it.

Megane225FF
Trophy if I had the money without making myself skint...
But to be honest, choosing the cup you'd be laughing, think of all the money you'd save and you could spend the difference fine tuning it...

Liquid yellow R26 F1
Cup.. as it's a lot cheaper.. Simple as that.. you could get a nice cup for 7-8k.. or a
trophy for 13-14 (however much trhey are..) you can't tell me it's worth the extra 6k,,LOL.. (It's not THAT much better)

You could buy a cup and spend £500 on nice bits for it exhaust, etc..

Just my opinion.. But that's what i'd do..

cliostatic3.jpg

Last edited:
  The Jinx
Having never driven either (ergo being a huge authority on the issue) I say save your cash, buy the 172 Cup, and get the Rsport bits for the power and some good coilovers for the susp.

On paper (and I suspect reality) you'll piss all over the trophy.

Fred2001Dynamic said:
what makes you say the 182 is better out of interest??

my order of the "best clios" (1998on)

mk2 1.2 (Hardcore version)
mk1 172
mk2 182 Trophy
mk2 cup
mk2 172 - mk2182

Whats this hardcore version, Can i make mine hardcore?

MKIII 138
think trophy coloured wheels would look good on a cup bit like Gaz`s cup but his are even darker and look even better.

trophies are really nice, but if im being brutal, i dont like the colour, there are many many red cars around with the same colour and red also fades and just like black only looks the nuts when clean where as the cup looks the nuts when flithy like a rally ****.

also dare i say it i dont like the recaro`s (runs and hides behind Cobra Bucket seats)

you got the money???

fred's has had a few ££ thrown at it, but to say the least, it's possibly the best handling 1.2 out there at the minute, though sacrifices in body quality (roof creases) have to be put up with, as do the rock hard ride and speed humps are a massive no no, interior, what does that mean, then you have the engine that fred plans on dropping in, non vvt megane rs engine from a vel satis (i think) which will be quite well tuned

that is, of course, if he hasn't been smoking the crack pipe again and changed it all very dramatically again
clio_zak said:
Whats this hardcore version, Can i make mine hardcore?

Lionel Richie
Bryan said:
you got the money???

fred's has had a few ££ thrown at it, but to say the least, it's possibly the best handling 1.2 out there at the minute, though sacrifices in body quality (roof creases) have to be put up with, as do the rock hard ride and speed humps are a massive no no, interior, what does that mean, then you have the engine that fred plans on dropping in, non vvt megane rs engine from a vel satis (i think) which will be quite well tuned

that is, of course, if he hasn't been smoking the crack pipe again and changed it all very dramatically again

the roof creases have nothing to do with my suspension setup, they've been there since new!! but with 250+bhp under my right foot, i can see other things bending LOL!!!

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
172 cup, coilovers, recaros(demon tweeks), then ask yozza how much for a tb conversion

Have never really thought about this, but after seeing the title of this thread it prompted me, and oddly enough I think I would keep my Cup.

I'm not disputing the Trophy's superb attributes in the slightest, but I love the raw edge of my Cup. Got to have been one of the last cars built without ABS and various other electronic aids (ignoring TVR etc), so no matter how advanced things get from here on in the Cup will always be one of (if not the) last car from a major manufacturer to be relentless in its pursuit of weight loss and driving experience.

If it was a case of "here's £14k, buy a Clio" though, I would get a mint 172 Cup for £8k or so and spend a few grand on it, coilovers, ITG Maxogen, Recaros, exhaust, 4 pots. Could have one hell of a car after that sort of work!

If you do any miles of normal slow driving or late night/early morning I'd get the Trophy for the toys and the ABS etc which people can argue about all they want but all you neeed is tyo lock up for a second and thats it.
If you use the car for more fun driving or are willing to put up with the smaller warently(although you can have an extended warenty) get the Cup change the suspension for coilovers/ differetn dampers and springs and either spend the rest on track days or a bit of engine tunning.
The prices of the Cup vs trophy show there different cars although performance wise they many be very similar.

Remapped derv Golf
The Trophy is the limited edition the Cup should have been. Renault at last appear to have learned their lesson?

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
i would get a cup or 182 and put better shocks on it...

couple of choices there, Bilstein or Leda..... reviews on both out soon i suspect.

change the brakes to goodridge lines and some form of better pad....

(engine mods - lots of options there as for any of the RS range)

A.

Fred2001Dynamic said:
the roof creases have nothing to do with my suspension setup, they've been there since new!! but with 250+bhp under my right foot, i can see other things bending LOL!!!
:eek: F*ck. What you had done to get that beast under the bonnet?

Fred2001Dynamic said:

Its either going to be your pedal or the time/space continuum.

CUP everytime- imagine breaking one of those sachs shox the day after yer warranty expires. That and the weight saving. Stick decent shox/springs/c'overs if you feel the need. Its the rawest one out the lot. I laugh in the face of ABS.

The Jinx
Adamf said:
The Trophy is the limited edition the Cup should have been. Renault at last appear to have learned their lesson?

How d'you work that one out? The Cup is the one that goes all out for driver thrills by stripping out all the cack, whereas the Trophy just comes with a couple of nice touches and a no.