ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup or 182 with Cup suspension

BMW M3
Hi Guys
Looking at getting a 172 Cup or a 182 with Cup suspension.
The 172 is a 52 plate with 66000miles, needs a service and Camberlt.
The 182 has cup suspension, it's an 05 plate with 62,000 miles. It's around £500 more than the 172 but needs a new rear box and rear wheel bearings.

looking at getting one of these to keep the miles down on my BMW M3 which is my daily.

thanks in advance for your advice

cheers

Rich

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
2 quiet differnt cars in terms of ph2 clios spec wise. 172 cup is as bare as you can get a ph2 RS, 182 will have aircon & leather over the cup, so will be heavier.may boil down to your intentions form the car.
IMO, 172 for track day mainly, 182 for daily with track intent.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Performance difference is negligible on track and off if both are standard. It's more about feel. The 172 has more of the old hot hatch magic about it due to being so spartan Including less of a safety net with no ABS, EBD and ESP. I've run both on track and off and that is the only difference. The lighter cup seems to generate similar grip on 195 tyres as the heavier 182 manages on 205's. At an intermidiate driving level anyway. Both flatter you as a driver. I've judged this purely by the speeds I reach at the end of the straights on tracks I've run both at. The 182 with cup suspension is a great all rounder having the Cups pace with the normal 172's comfort. The 172 Cup would get tiring on long journeys.

A professional driver may pull out the extra performance the 182 cup may have with it's extra tweaks despite the extra weight but I didn't find anything to shout about.

One car I'd choose the 182 with cup suspension. If you run two cars like I do at the moment then the 172 cup is my choice.

Last edited: