ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup or ph1 172?

Discounted 1*2 parts
My next car is going to be made into a track car but would would you say was the best base to work from:

172 cup
OR
ph1 172

Which is lighest in standard form and which can be made lightest?

Tom

b/g 182, meg tourer
as a track car i would go for a ph1. cheaper, 15" wheels/tyres. can be stripped as light or even lighter maybe than cups. depends how far you want to go with it, a lot can be done. if you are looking for a ph1 try and get one with an alloy bonnet like my brother, nice and light!

think most would suggest you've got them in the right order in your OP

have a read of the difference in specs - weight, ABS, cable throttle, etc

You'll get a much cheaper decent Ph1 than you will a cup = more money to turn it into a weapon.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
ABS can be removed, I believe Tom did with his 182. I'd say Ph1. Near the same weight (so cheaper with AC out), cable throttle (more responsive), and I've heard several people say that the ph1 engine seems to get more power from mods.

If you're round Birmingham way anytime soon, welcome to have a go in mine.

PaulyA610

ClioSport Club Member
  Venturi,GTT van,
This was the dilema i had, i went for the ph1 as it was half the price. And goes just as well!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I think if it's going to be a track car it's got to be all about cost? No? I'd get the cheapest you can in the best condition. The ph1 172 by all accounts is a decent car so it probably will make little difference. If you're going to be fitting coilovers anyway the standard set-up is almost irrelevant. However, maybe a small consideration could be buying a cup and all the bits you could sell to generate cash. I.e. the Turinis, Cup spoiler, that is, if you're fitting 15's and wanting to minimise costs.

535d / t5 caravelle
is there only certain ph1 that have alloy bonnets? i'm in the same boat as op very soon, going ph1!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
bill said:
is there only certain ph1 that have alloy bonnets? i'm in the same boat as op very soon, going ph1!
Yep, not all of them do. Not sure how you tell though.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
There are a few things to consider.

It depends how much money you have and what you plan to do.
For example the PH1 has the cable throttle which is a big plus, but if you decide you want to go the ITB route youd have cable throttle which ever car you went for.

Both cars are as light as each other, however removing the AC from a PH1 and fitting the cup set up (or similar) will cost you.

The Ph1s (most) come with 15's standard but i guess you would replace them any how.

Some Ph1s have Alloy bonnets.

Just a note PH1 front bumpers are expensive if you rip it off.

The Cup is properly better out the box, and it would be just strip the car with out doing a great deal of work.

But the money you save buying a PH1 instead of a cup could be used on mods.

Our PH1 Thread (not cheap), may be some ideas that help you. http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=364943

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Tbh id just get a Phase 1.

Cups (decent ones) are still fetching more money whilst Phase 1's are every bit as capable, you could debate it all day but if you put every 172/182 on a quarter mile/twisty bit of road with decent drivers at the helm there wouldnt be half a ball hair between them

Go with preference and what you can afford..!

53 Clio's & counting
The alloy bonnet is lighter, but i have a steel one and its bloody light anyway, nothing you would notice

also instead of removing the ABS off the ph1, simply unplug the fuse, a lot cheaper

I would see what you can get, there have been a few cups for sale for circa £2500, which is a great price, a ph1 will be around £500-£1000 cheaper.

Both cars have their merits, its all down to personal preference, some people prefere the looks of the ph2, and the cup badge too

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Burp and Tony tried it on track. Sets the brake bias to 50/50. So they span. Lots. Not something that shoud be recommended.

53 Clio's & counting
Yes thats something i should have meationed, my car still has its full interior and i tried this on an airfield day and didnt have any problems, so im guessing maybe the extra weight helped?

RenaultSport 172
I was in the same boat 12months ago didn't know whether to get a cup or a ph1.

I had about 3.5k to play with so decided to get a ph1 and spend the rest on goodies. :evil:

Only now am I (maybe) regretting my decision because now I want to remove the aircon and ABS and its going to cost me.

But I do love the ph1 looks alot harder meaner than the ph2 front end.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I was in the same boat 12months ago didn't know whether to get a cup or a ph1.

I had about 3.5k to play with so decided to get a ph1 and spend the rest on goodies. :evil:

Only now am I (maybe) regretting my decision because now I want to remove the aircon and ABS and its going to cost me.

But I do love the ph1 looks alot harder meaner than the ph2 front end.
Should of sold you mine lol.

Westy. MX5
If you are just wanting this for trackdays then either model will do. A Cup will just be easier to lighten further. It will just depend how much you want to spend. This is what I have done and bought an unloved Cup with solid engine but currently rebuilding the brakes and curing leaks, all going well so far and when finished I will know the all important bits like brakes are new and fitted correctly. I'm on a budget of £2000 and will have enough to refurb my Turinis, just.

Discounted 1*2 parts
thanks for the comments guys, i do like the sound of ph1 as it frees up more money for mods. I'm also starting to prefer the looks of a ph1. I also REALLY fancy a sunflower yellow model!

Artic 182
Ph1's are butch at the front but the rear ends are poo.

The question you asked is which is a better base, this would be the cup. Which is more financially viable and potentially sensible would be the Ph1. But lets not forget the cup is an 'out of the box' track car. Go enjoy it and mod as you go

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Ph1's are butch at the front but the rear ends are poo.

The question you asked is which is a better base, this would be the cup. Which is more financially viable and potentially sensible would be the Ph1. But lets not forget the cup is an 'out of the box' track car. Go enjoy it and mod as you go
Is it heck.

Artic 182
Not think there is some truth in the statement? Lighter wieght, no ABS, no creature comforts, wider track, stiffer shocks, lighter wheels. Sound like a normal road car?

Granted its somewhere between a road car and a track car but its still close to a road going track car from the factory?

Not saying your wrong brown bear but i'd say it makes a great track car as it is, obviously massive room for improvement but its the same with anything

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not think there is some truth in the statement? Lighter wieght, no ABS, no creature comforts, wider track, stiffer shocks, lighter wheels. Sound like a normal road car?

Granted its somewhere between a road car and a track car but its still close to a road going track car from the factory?

Not saying your wrong brown bear but i'd say it makes a great track car as it is, obviously massive room for improvement but its the same with anything
They are all road cars, end of. The cup is more suited from the factory than the others, but still 100% a road car.

I really want a shot in a standard cup. Owners maintain it's the best to drive, but every review I ever saw has the FF182 as a step up (and the Trophy a step up again).

Golf GTD Mk7
I've driven all of them from ph1, 172 cup to my FF182 now and even the 197, and there was a definate improvement to the standard handling characteristics imo throughout the years. Cue the mk1 lovers ;) Evolution is the name of the game.

Westy. MX5
I've driven all of them from ph1, 172 cup to my FF182 now and even the 197, and there was a definate improvement to the standard handling characteristics imo throughout the years. Cue the mk1 lovers ;) Evolution is the name of the game.

What are FF's and BTB's Jonny?

Golf GTD Mk7
BTB is my exhaust :) and FF means Full Fat. Basically the 182 with full leather/cup pack/spoiler pack/climate etc.