ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup or RB 182?

campus sport 1.2 16v
Hi,

Basically I am in my 3rd year driving my 1.2 clio and I am wanting to upgrade. Ive got my 2 years no claims under my belt so the insurance shouldn't rape me.

Im guessing ill get around 3k for my car as its 06 and has low mileage. Im torn between a 172 cup and a racing blue 182.

Obviously the 182 may be 2k more expensive but im willing to save over the next few months to have the cash.

Im looking for some opinions or maybe some people may have been im my position before. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Will.

Clio 197 RB
As above, it would probably be cheaper to insure a F/F Clio 182.
Plus RB is the best colour. ; )

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
RB 182's look fantastic, especially with black wheels. I'd prefer the 182, much better spec and better looking in RB. Although don't discount a ph2 172, the saving alone makes it worth it.

campus sport 1.2 16v
Yeah ill check that out, thats the only colour i would get out of the 182 range, just wondering if its worth paying 1.5/2k more for it.

Disastra Coupe
Personally, i'd have the RB182.

As a daily drive i think something like that is a much better car. Still handle's well, better looking interior, all the toy's. I can see the point in a Cup if you want just a raw driver's car that you will only use for B road blasts and track day's, but as a daily i'd say the 182 would be much better :)

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
I'm 19 mate had a 1.2 a lorry wrote it off in the summer just got my racing blue 182 yesterday I love it! :) amazing!!!!! But yea insurance will rape u! Mine is £2069 ;)

campus sport 1.2 16v
I'm 19 mate had a 1.2 a lorry wrote it off in the summer just got my racing blue 182 yesterday I love it! :) amazing!!!!! But yea insurance will rape u! Mine is £2069 ;)

Cheers for that mate lol, 2k for insurance doesnt seem too bad tbh, RB is definetly the best colour

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Having owned both, I'd save your cash and get a non cup 172 over a 182. Cheaper for the same basic car. Flame red looks fantastic, and the exhaust is cheaper to replace when it fails. If modifying is a possibility in the future, you have more options with a 172 than a 182 with cup suspension.

Put it this way, for the same cash as a decent 182 with cup packs, you could get a 172, fit some decent coilovers (h&r, kw, bilstein) and a whiteline arb. And it would be more fun to drive than a 172cup, but you get the xenon's etc.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Ph2 172 is better looking than the 182 IMO. Don't like the two exhausts.

Your decision is this....

Slightly lighter, slighted faster, slightly better handling = 172 cup

A LOT more luxury and gadgets = 182FF

I found the insurance was more or less exactly the same for both cars... About £20 in it iirc. And I'm in more or less the same position as you insurance wise.

Plus, LY is the best colour ;)
RB does look gorgeous though.... Christopher's is stunning...