ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Project

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Hi guys,

After a long spell off here, I have returned with a 172 Cup project.

I've previously owned a Ph1 172 and a 200 Cup.

A 172 cup has always been on my list, so I've taken the plunge to build one for track.
A shame to see another one stripped out etc but it's not the cleanest of Cup's anyway with a bit of lacquer peel in places.
It's a genuine, solid, original example though, which is a fantastic start.

I'm starting with the basics first. Full strip out of interior, bumpers, arch linings and side skirts off for a proper jet wash and check for any rust, before throwing money at the car.

Original Turinis on the car, although they have been painted white - so they are off the car to be refurbished original silver at some point as to/from track wheels.

I have some cheap TSW 15" alloys for track, they just need track rubber fitting further down the line.

List of jobs currently;

Engine removal
1. Belts & Dephaser/Water pump
2. Clutch change and any old leaking gaskets
3. Discs, pads & lines all round inc fluid

Then it'll be onto fitting a cage/seats and PMS shifter.

Then see how things progress from there.

Last edited:

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
IMG_0480.JPG

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG

Im glad I made the effort to remove the side skirts! 15 years worth of dirt stuck.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Does anyone have a link for a new set of pop rivetts for the side skirts by any change please?

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Update 22.12.2017

Decided to get cracking with the car, the sooner the engine/box comes out, the better. Gives me more time to get the car how I want it

Started off this morning..

IMG_0952.JPG

Started labelling up the loom, so I know what every plug does - what has use and what doesn't.

IMG_0968.JPG

Little OTT but it's better than forgetting what goes where, if the car takes longer than planned.

IMG_0979.JPG

To how it stands now.

Heater matrix pipes I found to be the toughest things to remove today.
It's nice to see an engine bay in this sort of condition (weirdly). Everything's untouched. The car is a genuine, unmolestered example (until now) original fixings in place and even the engines plastic under tray!
IMG_0994.JPG

Just behind the engine left to take apart;

Exhaust and starter motor loom, then it's just driveshafts out and the engine will be out.

I'll then get the car back down on the ground to get the it outside and jet wash the bay and start tidying it up.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
IMG_0970.JPG
Quick question for anyone who's familiar with stripping these cars.

Acoustic valve - any advice/tips to removing it? Does it set off any lights on the dash if it's removed. Can someone confirm from the picture above, If that is the acoustic valve?

Carbon canister- I remember removing it on my Ph1 years ago, but I can't remember exactly what I did, if I left it plugged in or not. I don't remember any issues on the Ph1.
Best advice on that on a ph2? Can I just keep the top lid of the canister so the plugs are still plugged in? Or will I still have lights on the dash?

Cheers

Gez

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110

Another update.

So carried on with stripping the ancillaries off the Cup today. Another good day.

If any of you are wondering, this whole thing is pretty new to me, with doing the car alone.
I've always had help or been the 'pass me the...' kind of man. So I'm a little bit in the deep end. However, I feel like I'm managing pretty well so far and with anything I've been stuck on, I've just gone to the 'how to guides'

Thoroughly enjoying myself and I'm looking forward to having a bare engine bay to start the next phase of the track build.

IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I can relate to the ‘pass me the xyz kind of guy’

Good on you for going for it! Looks like you’ve made some excellent progress! Subscribed!
Cheers buddy :)

I feel like I've learned a lot more already.
I have knowledge about the F4R engine from my Ph1 and 200, but I'm enjoying applying that knowledge (and lack of) into being completely hands on with the car.

I have an idea of what I want the finished product to be. So it's just working out how to get there.

Clio 172 Cup
You'll learn so much mate. Just done the same on mine. Best way to learn not being afraid to get stuck in.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
I built my old 106 Gti track as a complete novice car using nothing but a Haynes manual and the internet. As long as you do your homework, be thorough and aren’t afraid to ask questions you’ll be fine mate.
(Then again, 106s are held together by about 3 bolts and some pritt-stick, so a bit easier to work on than Clios)

Clio 172 Cup
Yeah have to get used to scraped knuckles with the lack of space in these. Made a few mistakes along the way recently but soon learn. Ive just busted the power steering pipe with the switch in it so be careful with that. Pain to try and get hold of one.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Cheers for the replies.

This is my first time having a pure project car, my old ph1 was my daily too, so there was always the stress of having to get it ready for the work commute, which put a lot of stress into the upgrading of parts and general maintenance things.

I've found I'm enjoying this project so much more already, as soon as I get stuck or find my patience starting to fade after 4-5 hours working on the car, I just put the tools down and call it a day. It's a good feeling that there's no time limit. Start again the next day with a fresh head.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110

Last push today to get things done.

Engine/gearbox is ready to come out!
It would have come out today, but I am still waiting on the hoist.

IMG_1017.JPG

Once the engine is out, the car will be going back onto 4 wheels so it's a rolling shell again. I can push the car out to power wash the engine bay down, ready for the prep work in the bay.

I can thebfocus on tackling the interior.

I am so chuffed with this car, I haven't found any real worries of rust, a couple of bits of tatty paint, but that'll be sorted.

Cheers for reading so far.