ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Q & A

172 Cup
I have owned a 172 cup for 2 weeks now and it is probably the most fun thing I have ever bought. Im not too familiar with modding cars, but the first things I'm thinking of are a decat pipe and new air filter/induction kit.

http://www.k-tecracing.com/catalogue.asp?app=Clio%... has a 'CLIO 172 STRAIGHT THROUGH DE CAT PIPE' - would that be any good, and are there cheaper options as it is only a length of pipe from what i can see.

http://www.k-tecracing.com/catalogue.asp?app=Clio%... has a 'KTR PANEL FILTER FOR 172/Cup/182' - is it worth the swap? (I am aware that there will be pretty much no power gain - but would I notice much better response?)

I am also pretty sure the car is in need of a cambelt change (which would obviously be done before any of the above). It is a 52 plate with 62000 - although a garage is telling me it doesn't need to be done until 72000???

Has anyone with a cup raced a 'full fat' 172 - and what were the results?

lol so far the only races i've managed to get in are with a motorbike (silly idea) and some 55 plate astra which obviously didnt have a chance.

I apologise if these questions have been answered previously, I am new to all this.

Cheers

1998 BMW e46 323i
Cambelt is 72k or five years, whichever came first I think. I've heard the cups are about as fast as a ferrari but the full fats are slower than my gran getting outta the bath....

Seriously tho, I had luggage and my gf in the car and I kept up with a cup to about 90 sheep droppings. He was alone in the cup, so I guess they're about the same. Depends who you ask.

172 Cup
Better get it done then, pushing 6 years now!
Anyone know how many 172 cups are registered in the UK?

1998 BMW e46 323i
think the number on the road decreases every winter tho, the drivers of cups tend to leave them in ditches almost routinely on cue.

be surprising if that many have fallen off the road already - is that an official DVLA number or something?

the DVLA (or whoever it is) could probably advise - ? do they? some clubs run registers and have people who have been able to obtain info like this

i think that 2400 number is the number of UK registrations - ?

ValverInBits
ive found that a 182 manifold was a worthwhile mod. although more work is required to fit than just a decat.

look into the new AWT (angel works technologies) CNC re-machined inlet manifolds.

172 cup
I had a small "bimple" with a full fat yesterday on the ring road and i had to back off in every gear to stop going into the back of him.

A close friend of mine also has a 182 with cup packs and some light mods like decat and coilovers and i just edge him slightly on acceleration but with his coils he can out corner me.