ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Restoration Progress

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Hi,

I thought I'd start a thread for the 172 Cup as momentum has gathered and the parts have started to arrive.

The car itself belongs to my partner, she's been interested in picking up a clean one of these for a while now. After numerous days, weeks.. months. Searching on Ebay, Facebook, Forums etc. Nothing really fitted the requirements. This was until over the NYE' when I saw a 172 Cup on eBay - auction only, not that far away from me. So we decided to arrange a viewing and test drive prior to bidding and make sure all the paperwork, parts and car are what he says it is.

We we're both happy and in the position to purchase it that day, however the seller didn't want to end the auction early and decided to let it run. We kept a close eye on it and placed our maximum bid. Following a few nervous days watching the bids increase, woke up the next day to find out we had won the auction under budget, only paying £1800.

Promptly arranging with the seller to come by the following weekend and complete the purchase and drive it away. The car itself is a Clio 172 Cup, best of all 1 Owner from new. The seller had the car over 16 Years as his commute to work and weekend runabout. It's been serviced by main dealer its whole life with all the documents to proof including the receipt of purchase when he brought it new back in 2003.

Positives
  • Totally standard car
  • Unmarked interior, it is spotless inside
  • Dephaser & Belts changed twice already.
  • Original glass throughout
  • 1 owner & 115,000 miles
  • Drove fantastic, felt very tight, no knocks, clunks or bangs.
  • All electrics functioning, including alarm and original stereo
  • MOT & taxed, not been left standing for months
  • Original tool kit still in boot
  • Document / Receipts since new.
  • Two Keys

Negatives
  • Centre section has a slight hole.
  • Some minor scratches to paint.
  • Some dents on the doors (parking dents)
  • Paint chipping on door edge, spoiler ideally needs a very good touch up / repair or respray
  • 4 heavily corroded alloys
  • Cloudy headlights
  • Cracked and faded number plates
  • Rust patch front corner of bonnet.
  • Worn steering wheel & Grips.

Plans

We'd like to keep the car as original as possible, due to the history of the car and its condition already we feel it won't take much to bring it back up to the standard it should be. I've replaced a number of items already with majority of larger jobs purely just awaiting quotations. Over the coming weeks the car should start transforming into a restored cleaner version of what already is a great base.

Parts
  • Steering Wheel Refurb (Won at CSF)
  • Alloy Wheel Refurb
  • Front End Respray (Bonnet & Bumper)
  • Repair Dents (Both Sides)
  • Centre Section Exhaust
  • Renault Upper Front Grille - Ordered
  • Renault Lower Front Grille - Ordered
  • Polish Headlights
  • New Ariel - Fitted
  • New Boot Struts - Fitted
  • New Number Plates - Fitted
  • Silvertec Indicator Bulbs - Ordered
  • 4 x Cup Shocks
  • Gram Springs
  • Vapour Blast (Engine Parts - Inlets, Fuel Guard, Cam Cover)
  • Service Items - FIlter (incl Pollen) Oil & Filter - Ordered
  • New Coolant Bottle & Type D - Ordered
  • Non Sticky Interior Plastics - Fitted
  • New Number Plate Bulb Holder - Ordered

I'll keep the parts list updated with anything else I've missed or needs changing. Time for some images, only ones I have at the moment are at home. I'll grab some once the bodywork is sorted.

49395614091_75b1ded822_c.jpg
Clio 172 Cup by ANDREW COLLINS, on Flickr

49395614386_10fd4d572b_c.jpg
Clio 172 Cup by ANDREW COLLINS, on Flickr

49414513583_247689e261_c.jpg
172 Cup Progress by ANDREW COLLINS, on Flickr

49414992271_55faa20c42_c.jpg

49414992436_ff734009aa_c.jpg

49415199757_7a4e5684f4_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Clio 172 Cup
Great purchase mate 👍 similar to mine when I bought it before I restored her, I have put new cup shocks and grams springs combo it’s a great set up , will follow good luck to you both. I have spent a fortune on mine but it’s well worth it when you see the end result

Clio 172 Cup
I had a body shop go round the whole car including replacing both rear arches due to rust, you can get bodywork done at a reasonable cost fingers crossed dent man will sort your dings out

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
I was watching this on eBay, started at £1500 BUY IT NOW, I was tempted as it’s a 1 owner car, no room for anymore though 🤣

Great base to start from.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
I was watching this as well, bit far from me though but saw the potential . Look forward to watching your progress with it. Subscribed

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Thanks for the kind words, I'm not surprised a number of your was also watching this on Ebay. Space for this and the 182 is an issue at times..

@BaileyWolves I'm pleased to hear the Gram Springs and Cup shocks combo is the right choice, certainly looks it. As for the bodywork i'm just gathering quotes but i'll most likely do the same approach as yourself.

@Ryan Williams The aerial is replacement with adaptors off Ebay. I'll find the item number and send it to you, as for the interior trim a replacement non sticky radio was purchased, @mossyv6 has one for sale currently, may be the right one for your car. The trims I just followed the guide on here and removed - cleaned - protect - refit. I used 'Elbow Grease Cleaner & Sponge Pad'

Hope to have another delivery today, so more updates later.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm not surprised a number of your was also watching this on Ebay. Space for this and the 182 is an issue at times..

@BaileyWolves I'm pleased to hear the Gram Springs and Cup shocks combo is the right choice, certainly looks it. As for the bodywork i'm just gathering quotes but i'll most likely do the same approach as yourself.

@Ryan Williams The aerial is replacement with adaptors off Ebay. I'll find the item number and send it to you, as for the interior trim a replacement non sticky radio was purchased, @mossyv6 has one for sale currently, may be the right one for your car. The trims I just followed the guide on here and removed - cleaned - protect - refit. I used 'Elbow Grease Cleaner & Sponge Pad'

Hope to have another delivery today, so more updates later.

Ah I see, I've already given my trims and stereo the scrub treatment just wondered if you could still get new genuine parts from somewhere..

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Delivery Update

As promised another delivery from RPD, great service as usual. I'll be aiming to fit these bits on Friday & Saturday remove the steering wheel for Snappy.

Today's delivery consists of;
  • 172 Cup Door Pilar Badges
  • Pollen Filter
  • Number Plate Light Holder
  • Upper Front Grille
I just need to find out if I can replicate the 'OEM' Renault stickers from the old grille onto the new one, anyone done this before?

More pictures at the weekend once fitted.

49420462111_7b35a31feb_c.jpg

49420681632_aa97c3578b_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Looks great so far mate, would love to do this myself but my driveway is abit too full and don't wanna be that guy that has cars all over the front of the house lol.

Whats all this about Grams springs? Not heard of them used in the Clio 'scene' was always the Cooksports and Cup shocks, are Grams a standard replacement as such being that @BaileyWolves looks near standard height, could just be the angle though as its parked up a slope.

Clio 172 Cup
Grams are uprated lowering spring good quality and ride not a massive drop over standard but was good for as wanted to keep an oem look has reduced the arch gap tho and handles great 👍

Clio 182
No complaints with the Grams springs on mine, although I've not tried standard.

Car looks good, will be keeping an eye on this as inspiration :)

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Update - Small Details

I received a couple of small deliveries this week so I decided to fit these with some spare time this afternoon. The larger items I'll be doing tomorrow & Saturday, hopefully better pictures then. As for the engine bay stickers @BaileyWolves I've messaged a guy on FB under the name of 'Pukar Designs' he seems to have a 182 Engine Bay sticker for the upper grille. If you search 'Clio' on the website it comes up for £15. I'll order this and compare it to the 172 Cup layout and content.

Couple more bits on order;
  • New Positive Battery Terminal Cover
  • New End of Bonnet Rubber Seal
  • New Coolant Bottles
  • New Renault Oil Cap
  • Satin Black Paint - Wiper Arms & ECU Support Bracket
49429689518_8511cc1418_c.jpg

Has anyone had experience of cleaning the upper air vent surround (picture below) I believe its moulded to the dash itself, so cannot be removed? I was reluctant to clean it in the car with 'Elbow Grease' but if its the only way...

49429689158_e586b4949c_c.jpg

Before - Gearstick
49429689393_38282931b1_c.jpg

After - Gearstick
49430388877_c012469f20_c.jpg

Before - Indicator
49430388762_143cf5b86c_c.jpg

After - Indicator
49430169461_771febc7a8_c.jpg

Airbox Bolts - Before
49430169086_02e3fe4270_c.jpg

Airbox Bolts - After
49430388362_108497f3d3_c.jpg

More updates over the weekend, thanks for looking.

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
I’ve had my 182 Cup now for seven years
It been under a car cover for the past 2 and a half months. One month ago I decided to go for a drive and when I started her up the car had a misfire 🧐 so after buying a new set of leads first no joy then Coil pack no joy. Bloody hell im thinking now I need to check the injectors to find that two had gone. So again I’m out in the cold trying to keep her alive and today she’s back on the road. The test drive put a smile back on my face. It’s nice to hear that we are all still enjoying these type of old skool Clio’s 😀

How did you do the gearknob please? I tried with a sticker and lacquer but it went tits up, I've now got another original blue gearknob top from a 172 Cup but was thinking might need to paint the gears by hand??? 🤔

If was a sticker do you have a link please?

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Update Time

I've been gathering a few more bits to start working on the car this afternoon and tomorrow. Most of the smaller items cosmetically have all been replaced now.
Tomorrow I plan on removing both inlets, fuel guard rail and cam cover for vapour blasting, I'll be aiming to get this done with enough light to remove all the wheels for powder coating too.

Whilst these bits are off, I'll replace the engine and gearbox mounts with powerflex items. I'll give the ECU support bracket a coat of paint along with the wiper arms to freshen up the front end.

Lastly the steering wheel is off and on it's way to Snappy. Soon as this is back I'll give the interior a full deep clean. Which should just about finish the inside. I think?!

49435033671_0c9e02fec9_c.jpg

Managed to get the old front grille off and cleaned up around the area, surprised how well it came out to be fair. I can't seem to get the new one flush so when the front bumper is off for respray I'll ask them, unless I'm missing a trick?

49435256567_0fb9aee244_c.jpg

Both Cup 172 Badges fitted after measuring for ages!

49435256642_5550b47a20_c.jpg

49464908517_14abb3e844_c.jpg

Fitted the remaining Silvertec Bulbs, New number plate light & Clear side repeaters.

Hopefully another successful day tomorrow, more updates over the weekend.

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
The passion is alive for us with the 172 cup with the storms coming I have put the car cover back on put now thinking is this a good idea ? Worried that something may get blown onto the car keep your fingers crossed 🤞 for my car please, wish I had my dream garage 🙏

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The passion is alive for us with the 172 cup with the storms coming I have put the car cover back on put now thinking is this a good idea ? Worried that something may get blown onto the car keep your fingers crossed 🤞 for my car please, wish I had my dream garage 🙏
Imho cover off will be better. Dont want the fabric whipping against the paint all night

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Update

I've got the engine parts back from the Vapour blasting process, I've decided to paint the cam cover myself in a VHT Silver, I think this in keeping with the remaining of the parts. Please excuse the dirty finger prints, I didn't get a chance to clean them up again after fitting yesterday.

I also fitted the following;
  • New Oil Filter
  • New Power Flex engine mount
  • New Bonnet Rubber Seal
  • New Oil Cap - Not Fitted in picture.
  • New Battery Terminal Cover - Not Fitted in picture.
You'll notice from the interior shots, the steering wheel is still with Snappy, soon as I have this back it's nearly done inside. However I noticed the rear passenger seatbelt is silver? So I spoke to the previous owner and he informed me his dog chewed threw it and it was changed for a MOT. Garage didn't look for a black one!

So if anyone has a rear passenger seat belt in black for sale?

Inside I've treated all the rubbers & plastics and shampoo'd the carpets - I'm tempted to remove the seats and hoover under them properly, still debating this. Seats will be last as I'll be in & out of it for a while. I gave the seatbelt buckles a ceramic coating which has brought them back to life and shiny red again.

So plans for the next couple of weeks will be to remove the wheels and take them to City Wheels in Birmingham, whilst the wheels are off I'll change the suspension for new Cup Shocks & Gram's, also booked the PDR man to remove all of the dings. I've spoken to a mobile windscreen repair too, I'll have this done before it goes in for a front end respray in March.

I should really spend some time on the 182, this restoration lark is a lot of fun!

49506803167_c4c4cd9236_c.jpg

49506803072_8814270d97_c.jpg

49506073978_574c86ac8f_c.jpg

49506073813_5a0a8c1997_c.jpg

49506582771_4ac1639622_c.jpg

More updates soon,

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Looking excellent mate!

Could you let me know how you get on with the PDR guy and if you wouldn't mind pm'ing a rough cost?

Tempted to get some stuff removed but unsure if its worth the outlay 😅

Looking excellent mate!

Could you let me know how you get on with the PDR guy and if you wouldn't mind pm'ing a rough cost?

Tempted to get some stuff removed but unsure if its worth the outlay 😅

I had tons of PDR done on mine including a massive deng on the boot when I got the car and it cost £100

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
I’m pretty sure I’ve got a black rear seatbelt you can have, just cover postage and I’ll pack it up.

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
I’m pretty sure I’ve got a black rear seatbelt you can have, just cover postage and I’ll pack it up.

Yes please, PM me the costs to postage!

That's decent! I've just heard stuff like £70 per panel which will get expensive 😂

I'll fire across the details when he gives me the quote and roughly how much work is being done, its actually my girlfriend's dad's business. I cant imagine it will be his normal pricing, even so i'll find out what it would cost to anyone else.

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
Update

I've managed to pick up the eagerly awaited re-trimmed steering wheel from Snappy this morning at the post office. I've always thought this is the biggest improvement I'll do on the interior as the original was in such a bad way when I picked the car up.

To say I'm pleased with the results would be an understatement. The added bonus is that it was a raffle prize at last years CSF is even better. I was never sure if I'd use it due to the 182 not needing a re-trimmed wheel. I'm glad I've found a use for it now.

My only niggle is the airbag in the centre, now that it's fitted again, it seems like it could go a little further back? You can just about see the smaller gaps around the edge, is this normal or should it be going back further?

The wheels will be off at the weekend and away for powedercoating. The PDR man is yet to arrive and work his magic..

More updates soon!

49547849257_afd650051a_c.jpg
172 Cup Progress - Snappy Wheel by ANDREW COLLINS, on Flickr

49547122598_01ba4c0f3d_c.jpg
172 Cup Progress - Snappy Wheel by ANDREW COLLINS, on Flickr