ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup revving on it's own?

Hi guys,

Car seems to have developed a self revving problem that is really annoying, Only seems to happen when engine is cold. if i pull up to a junction brake and dip the clutch the revs are up and down all over the place, once driven for a few minutes the problem goes away. I have taken the throttle body off and cleaned it but it hasn't made any difference

any help appreciated.

Thanks
Craig.

SQ5
Craig, your inlet may need resealing correctly if it's been off at some point, including some sealant between throttle body and too inlet

Yeah im thinking there must be a leak somewhere, Would a new inlet gasket be the next step?

Last edited:
  SQ5
Yes and throttle body to inlet sealant. Don't think you can buy a gasket now though for throttle body so will need a liquid one.

Ok.......... I have re-sealed it all and im quite confident there are no leaks, However still have the same problem

Try resetting the TB.

Disconnect the plug from the throttle body, start the car and it'll rev to about 4k IIRC. Turn the car off and put the plug back in the throttle body.

Something similar happened on my Cup expect mine was cutting out and wouldn't idle and the above sorted it out.

Clio 172
IIRC you can't reset the TB, as it "sets" it self up every time you turn the key on. (you can hear it do it when you flick the key on), sure unread Fred/Sam/someone in the know say it

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's a cup thing... Well, it's always cups I see do this never FF's

Could be a CTS issue or problem with the pedal, the TB or the wiring between the two. Needs seeing to say I'm afraid.

Mick