ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup to Clio Williams?

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has owned or currently owns a Williams.

I've recently had to get rid of my 172 Cup as I needed the cash for my house. However I'm really missing it and I've decided to buy a Clio Williams instead. I've always wanted one since I had a go of a friends Williams several years ago.

I've got about 3k to spare. Is this a sensible move? What can I expect to get for 3k?

I'd like to be able to use the car most days for a short commute (about 5 miles) and the occasional track day.

Am I completely barmy doing this? I'm aware I'd be getting a 10+ year old car that's never had a great reliability record but it's worth it for the driving experience isn't it?

Any advice would be appreciated?

cheers,

CW.

cock mobile.
Speak to George16v, he went from a Cup to a Mk1 172 to a Valver, so he might be able to help on the topic.

I drive mine everyday..

And, um, it's interesting.

Not the most reliable, IMO.. especially if you do a lot of miles a year.

I've had a gearbox go bang, and two clutches go bang in 2 years. ;)

Daz said:
I drive mine everyday..

And, um, it's interesting.

Not the most reliable, IMO.. especially if you do a lot of miles a year.

I've had a gearbox go bang, and two clutches go bang in 2 years. ;)
Stop boy racing!:rasp:

172.com said:
Stop boy racing!:rasp:

Hehe, not at all.. I think the gearbox blowing up, damaged the clutch.. and I didn't replace it with the gearbox (Clutch was done in June, Gearbox in December).

I'm looking to sell it, so, really.. someone will buy a mechnically mint and near everything new Williams.

Ahwell.. it's been fun. :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
there not that unreliable if you get a good one...i thought that about the valvers before i bought one and it seems ok..no major problems so far really....

Freebone said:
there not that unreliable if you get a good one...i thought that about the valvers before i bought one and it seems ok..no major problems so far really....

Agreed. Had my Williams over 3 years and its never let me down. Sure I've cracked a spring, but that was my fault! Mine has been bullet proof, but then its utterly mint! :)

And its my daily driver, I put on about 15K a year.