ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup to Williams, My review...

Golf GTI PP Mk7
Ok, had my williams a few days now, after my 172 cup went on saturday.

Firstly, the williams is more fun to drive when ur giving it some, no doubt about that. Its so much more absorbing, in that you can feel the wieght of the car, and can feel exactly what the fron wheels are doing, with the cup I always felt like I couldnt feel the whole car as much. The turn is is very crisp and the grip is phenominal. The seats are also far more suited to the driving experience, you sit 'in' them, not 'on' them, and consequently feel far more connected to the car.

Its far torque-ier lower in the rev range than my 172, pulling keenly from as low as 2000 revs right through the gears, tho it all drops off once u get over 100mph, but do you really need to go that fast?

The interior also has its own special charm, its feels old school, but not crap, and I like having the 3 dials above the centre console, the steering wheel also feels far better than the 1*2 one. The car has loads of charm to it, and I really feel like i could get to love it.

Mine has had a racelogic traction control system fitted (at a cost of about £1200 at the time), which is adjustable via dial under the dash (it can also be disengaged entirely via a seperate button). Basically with this, I can go into a corner, and get on the gas far earlier, understeer is eliminated almost entirely and the car will pull right round the corner on full throttle, its a great system and bags of fun, I'd reccomend it to anyone, could be worth fitten on a 172/182 too if youve got a cup version. It really flies out of corner now, and you can gun it off the lights with no spinning at all, if you're into that sort of thing.

Despite all that, its far more hardwork to just drive about in, the clutch requires a team of trained firefighters to press it right down, and a very prescise gear change is required, this car would be tiring on a track day. The heavy steering, whilst great when caning it, makes parking and manouvers a tad more cumbersome too. Its also thirstier than the cup, which could be as issue if I was doing lots of miles (but im not, woooo)

Its also far less co-operative on a cold engine, you really do have to drive like an old lady for the first ten minutes, until the oil is warm theres all sort of clicks and rattles from the engine and the oil pressure is very high (presumably cuz cold oil is thick oil, and consequntly harder to pump round the system.).

The back end is also VERY light, its only caught me out twice, but when it goes, it goes! Granted on both times I was sort of teasing it out to see where the limit was, but it goes very suddenly, and you get a sort of Grip Grip Grip Grip GONE kind of thing, with it flicking out. As mith most FR cars (and a reasonable level of driving skill) its easy to corrorect with a bit of counter steer and a fettle of the throttle, could be great fun when I get used to it.

Ultimately, it doesnt have the day to day useablitly and ease of driving as the 172, but thats mainly becuase its an older, less refined car. Its only a stop gap car for me as it is, until I decide what I really want (I'm waiting to see what the 197 cup is like before deciding), but its a superb machine, and I can see why people rave about them, down a B-road, this thing would be a weapon.

I wont be hammering it much as it is, as I want to sell it in A1 condition after xmas, and I plan on getting a few bits tidied on it, and dont want massive maintenance costs, but I still love it.

Anyway, thats my summary of the jump from a cup to a willy!

cock mobile.
Good review that Lewis!

Look forward to you taking me for a spin in her ;)

And I'm sure the clutch can't be that bad, get some more fast food in you man, you weight about 2 stone, more weight would help you press the clutch :D

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Good review son...As much as i love mine it's just not a useable car for a few of the reasons you mentioned, it makes me smile like the vee and almost makes you drive quicker.

Regarding thr fuel tho, i got 360 to a tank! :) - More than i ever got in the 172!

I think mines a bit of a friday car tho, not as fast as others and it wasn't in the best condition but for 1800 bucks...you canny complain

Enjoy it chief! :)

lol, the clutch does take a bit of getting used to. I do prefer the 17poo as a daily runner though, miles less effort to drive... unless your going quick in which case it takes enormous amounts of concentration...

Golf GTI PP Mk7
yeah i found that with the cup, if ur gunning it properly its music off, concentration head on, whereas the willy just encourages you to push it.

Ali: Mines been chipped which I think may be responsible for its extra thirst. It had some engine management chip fitted by its second owner, exactly what it does is beyond me, having never driven a standard one as comparison.

Monaco Ph2 172
Great review and I must admit that I agree with it all :)

Personally, I love the heavy clutch and semi-heavy steering (The R5GTT had heavy steering!). When I drive modern cars, the lightness of the equipment is one of the things bugs me as I feel less connected with what the car is doing. As you said, you know EXACTLY what every part of the Williams is doing at any time. Oh - and on a full trackday, the adrenaline means you don't feel tired at all! ;)

Interesting that you have a traction control system fitted. I rarely had a problem with traction in mine. Virtually zero understeer, even in the wet. I used to amaze passengers by powering out of corners and the car sticking to the line. What tyres have you got fitted?

The back end is a bit keen to go when on the limit - you haven't got much to play with once you feel it going. It's only really caught me out once in over 90k miles - and I blame the patchy damp road for that! Again, like you say, once you get used to it, it's easily controllable.

Glad there are still these cars about as the Williams is a very special car. OK - they can get a little expensive when things go wrong, but if you treat them with a bit of TLC and regular oil changes, then it will serve you well. Personally, I don't think I will ever own a more rewarding and statisfying car.

williams 0013
The back end is also VERY light, its only caught me out twice, but when it goes, it goes! Granted on both times I was sort of teasing it out to see where the limit was, but it goes very suddenly, and you get a sort of Grip Grip Grip Grip GONE kind of thing, with it flicking out. As mith most FR cars (and a reasonable level of driving skill) its easy to corrorect with a bit of counter steer and a fettle of the throttle, could be great fun when I get used to it.
what size tyres has it got on ?

Golf R
The back end is also VERY light, its only caught me out twice, but when it goes, it goes! Granted on both times I was sort of teasing it out to see where the limit was, but it goes very suddenly, and you get a sort of Grip Grip Grip Grip GONE kind of thing, with it flicking out.

them comments have brought memories of our one and only breakfast run flooding back!!

good little review there fella and glad to hear you're enjoying it

Golf GTI PP Mk7
cant remember what size the tyres are, ill check on my lunch break, its got contisport contacts on the back and eagle f1's on the front tho.

and gareth, that breakfast run comes flooding back every time i go into a corner, lol.

Monaco Ph2 172
Have tried numurous tyre styles / brands and the best set up I found was 195/50/15 Yokohama A539 all round. :)

Never rated Conti's to be honest!

Audi Q7, Avalanche
time to pop over to a real car forum now huh? www.williamsclio.co.uk :rasp:

The clutch is heavy but its funny how quickly you become acustomed to it and dont notice it at all. The problems can be when your accellerator cable is getting old or isnt routed properlly and when i bought mine, my accellerator was harder to press than my clutch!!!

you can get a soft pedal conversion done for the clutch which makes it smooth as a baby's bum, but its all a matter or preference. I love the A539's, but all the willy boys drool over the F1's and having been in a few very fast clios i can vouch for their grippiness in the dry.

is the car lowered? as wizbit has said its rare for a balanced clio to understeer, if its lowered at the front then it can happen when the car 'skips' on uneven road etc...

As for mpg, what were you getting in the Cup? i also went from a 172 cup to a williams and i get around 37mpg in the williams regardless if i cain it or not, its ridiculously good on fuel! mine is chipped for high octane though so maybe that is the difference over your standard one? i cant think of a car with so much fun and poise, power and yet return so much mpg for such a small price. bag one, already a classic, only going to get better!

just spend your money and time getting it right now before renault up the prices on stuff! im already starting haha

Golf GTI PP Mk7
Lol, i think i should!

Its on 172 cup springs on the front, not sure if they lower it over standard or not. When i said about understeer i meant it in comparison to the 172, the willy is far shaper into corners.

Cant be bothered with the soft pedal conversion either, I'm sure ill get used to it in the end, and have a massive left leg no doubt, lol.

In my cup I was getting about 37mpg like you say, but I'm sure the needle is going down quicker in the willy, I'll give it a few weeks and see how it pans out. And you're right about the F1's, they're blindingly grippy!

Last edited:
  Monaco Ph2 172
As for MPG, I get around 34mpg with 97RON and 36mpg with 99RON in the 172.

Not sure what I got in the Williams. Stardard engine except for Green induction kit and Devil exhaust. Probably under 30mpg with 97RON - a lot less than the 172, that's for sure! :)

Audi Q7, Avalanche
get yourself a Gunner chip lewis, makes a big difference in drivability of the engine and improves mpg by miles. if you are getting less than 30mpg in the williams, then i would get a few things checked out as thats pretty poor to be fair. check lambda, filter, oil, leads etc... should be higher than that imo.

whats the spec of your engine at the moment? running mine on full mongoose stainless exhaust, decat, welded and refurbed manifold, hillpower induction kit and air feed, gunner chip, perf 8mm HT leads, and a host of new parts. mines lowered around 40mm on the front and rear, a bit too low for everyday driving but i will be sorting that when i come back from the usa. The cup springs lower it by around 5mm or so, nothing drastic so you are nearly on standard height.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
Its running a magnex exhaust, engine management chip, racelogic TC, standard airfilter.

everything else is standard so far as I'm aware, ill have to look into the gunner chip tho, sounds promising tbh.

I'd like a remap at somepoint too.

I think all the comments I wanted to say have been made above - it's much more of a car you actually have to *drive* rather than just get in and put your foot down. The heavy clutch makes you realise you need to have a bit of mechanical sympathy, as does the rough-running engine when cold.

It's like it has a character of its own - some days it's grumpy and doesn't want to rev or handle, other days it's begging to be thrashed!

I think a more modern car that has all these things that add character taken away could only be a backwards step in terms of driving "feel" - I hope I can keep my mk1 for a few years yet :)

Its on 172 cup springs on the front, not sure if they lower it over standard or not. When i said about understeer i meant it in comparison to the 172, the willy is far shaper into corners.
It will lower it a bit.

Have tried numurous tyre styles / brands and the best set up I found was 195/50/15 Yokohama A539 all round. :)

Never rated Conti's to be honest!
Each to there own though
^Thats what i did! Muchos lighter!
The Volvo one is the same realy.