ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup track car

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
hi

thought i would share what i am doing to my car. i have had it for a good few months now with the sole intention of making it into a track car.

it is a 2002 172 Cup which was near standard when i bought it. it had an induction kit and powerflow exhaust fitted and that was it. for now i am going to leave that as is. i think my driving is probably not to such a standard that i can justify the amounts of money that needs spending to make this much quicker.
so for now, i have stripped the car. fitted Gaz/K-tec coilovers and fitted CF doorcords from a group buy on here.
also put on anthracite speedlines wrapped in R888's.

i have an Oreca roll cage which will be fitted on saturday. this will be interesting because on first looks, it doesnt fit at all. badly made, and i think 'the fitter' will have to do some cutting/grinding etc.

top dash is on the way as we speak to Autoflock and hopefully will be back in 10 days or so.

once the cage is in on sat, i'll prob have the inside painted, but not sure yet. in any case i will put the bucket (recliners for now) seats in and the harnesses. (called pro-racer, but are TRS branded from Ktec)
Suede Oreca steering wheel to go in and then a little oil service and i think then it will be ready to go for this seasons track days at Knockhill!

i probably forgot something, but will update as the work progresses.

thanks for looking

rgds robert

IMG_3152.JPGIMG_3150.jpgIMG_3149.jpgIMG_3148.JPG
IMG_3151.jpg

not sure why the pics come out as thumbnails, but hey, just click them i suppose!!

Last edited:
  Stage 3 Spec Fiesta RST
Few pics

Hello Robert,

finished your dash yesterday so here are a few pics

Flocked
DSC05624.jpg

DSC05625.jpg

DSC05626.jpg

DSC05627.jpg

DSC05628.jpg

and now in the curing room
DSC05628.jpg

It will be ready for despatch tomorrow mate, I know you wanted the vents doing but I will send you a pic with it assembled with the vents and speaker grilles left standard just to be double sure you still want them doing as like I say some people (including myself) think the contrast between the plastic and flock is more desireable.

Thanks a lot

Raj

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
wow excellent!! looking good!
pls if you dont mind if you can put up a pic assembled just to get the picture right in my head!

thanx.

rgds robert

Cro

Meg'd r27
I say leave the vents unflocked mate
images

How did you get on with the cage going in?

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
was ok. have the luck that my neighbour coincidently used to work for Nissan Motorsport in the BTCC and for Prodrive and Ford in the rally championship preparing their cars, amongst other things, welding in cages. so he knows what he is doing!
when we put the cage in initially for sizing etc it became clear that it was bent ( or bend?) in transport, but also one of the bends in the main hoop was slightly too far so that the cage was slightly offset. (Seemingly this can happen with massproduced cages) however, Gary skillfully got it in nice and straight!
Just a harness bar and door bars to go in this week hopefully to finish it off and then a lick of paint. hopfully ready second week of april!!

rgds robert

Stage 3 Spec Fiesta RST
Afternoon Robert

here are a few pics as promised, please ntoe that the demister vents are not fully installed as I dont want to damage the flock in case you want them doing.

Personally I think that with a bit of back to black on the black plastics, they come up a treat and contract very well against the flock, but its your car mate so entirely up to you.

Decisions decisions

DSC05633.jpg

DSC05631.jpg

DSC05630.jpg

DSC05629.jpg

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
Hey Raj

made the decision. could you do the speaker covers aswell? and the rest is ok staying standard.
i think maybe we should have thought of covering up the speaker holes initially before flocking....

but man, its looking good!

rgds robert

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
at the moment trying to find some CDS tube for the harness bar. finding it very difficult to find tube of about 1.20m
most online retailers only sell in big lengths.....

anybody any suggestions on where to look?

rgds robert

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
i'll try and put some more pics of the cage welded in. this time with photobucket and hopefully no clicking anymore on the thumbnails....:dapprove:
also one of the pics shows the carbon doorcards from the forum!:approve:

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Edit: I'm a r****d, replied to the wrong thread!!

Car is looking good though! How are the door cards attached, velcro?

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
yeah velcro. easy enough. looks ok from a distance, however i'm not too sure about the close-up-look...
more practical than anything i suppose...

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
just a little update. TRS tow eye. i'm sure a lot of people have a well informed opinion about it ;)

IMG_3159.jpg

rgds robert

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
i do. it is still in, but will be replaced once the inside has been painted an it had a service.
its a bit worn, but not too bad.

rgds robert

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
little update:

received the dash back today from Autoflock. fantastic finish and brilliant service. well recommended!! thanks Raj!
won't be putting it in until the car is finished to keep it looking this good!

also received the 'cup racer style' door handle spacers from another group buy, which will make the door handles look and sit a bit nicer on the carbon doorcards.
pics to follow soon as i have not enough time!!

rgds robert

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
Did you painted the brake callipers Yellow?

no, the previous owner did. i am actually not a big fan of them in yellow and am thinking of taking it off. hopefully at some stage money (and my mrs) will allow me a brake upgrade anyway!

looking forward to seeing this progress!

where in fife are you?

i'm in Dunfermline
Lookin good mate!

Be good if you can get to renaultsport track day I will see you there!

yeah most likely i will provided i can get the day off or swapped with somebody. i am trying to get the car finished within the next few weeks. there's a track night on on the 18th if i'm correct which sounds quite good. so hopefully its done then :)

rgds robert

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
little update:
today received the rear strut brace from the group buy. not fitted and no pics yet, because i will have it painted in the same colour as the interior. so that will have to wait.

installed the 'cup racer style' door handle spacers from the group buy. needed ALOT of adjusting, however now they look quite nice!

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

also butchered the bonnet since the bonnet catch had died. now fitted aerocatchers (?). not the nicest job, but functional!

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

rgds robert

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
little update:

been to the garage (performance HQ in Dalgety Bay fka Dastek for the locals!)for a few things:
-front coilovers fitted
-wheel geometry (alignment)
-decat fitted
-braided brake hoses fitted (groupbuy Goodridge) with 5.1 brake fluid
-oil service
-mot
-sorted my starting problem (see other thread)

so a good few hundred £ later, the car is nearly ready. hopefully in the next week i'll get the inside painted (by my dad-in-law, for the locals if you need anything done...) and then fit new steering wheel, rear door cards, pax seat and all harnesses. and lastly the flocked dash! and i think that should be it! oh and raise the rear a bit cause it's rubbin quite a bit!

oh and probably get it washed!! haha

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

rgds robert

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
actually pretty good fit, however, the guy who fitted thought it just got bended in transport so was a little effort to get fitted. but sits nicely now! good price aswell compared to some other brands!

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
another update:
in anticipation for tomorrow's renault trackday at Knockhill, i had to get the car ready to be driven (with both seats cause i will also have tuition) so had to get my finger out!!
inside painted, put seats in, changed steering wheel, put harnesses in.

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

rgds robert