ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup V. 182 cup

Megane Coupe Sport
Sorry if this has been brought up before . . .

Just wondering what the dif between the 172 cup & the 182 cup is (bar the 10ps)

I know the engine is the same, and it's the ecu that gives the 182 a bit more power, but I've been hearing that the 182 cup has more 'luxuries' than the 172? Whats been taken out the 172 thats been left in the 182?

Anything else thats been changed between the two?

Nippy white cup
The 182 has even worse interior than the 172 + has the 1.2 steering wheel. The 182 has ABS whereas the 172 cup doesn't..there are a few other differences as well

Chris

A 182 cup is 20kg lighter than a normal 182. They only came in racing blue & inferno.

A 172 cup is 80kg lighter than a 172, they came in mondial blue & some were in silver.

If you want a car with ABS don't get a 172 cup as they don't have it.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
No then ya gotta get 205/45 exalto tyres and better suspension. The 182 has alot more grip and top end. Yes i owned a 172 cup and know the differences. There very loose on the rear aswell around a b road the 182 inspires more confidence and with more grip equals quicker. I loved my 172 cup but to throw fuel on the fire the 182 is just better.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
As per, cs logic. The 182 does not have a lot more grip. And the top end was always fractionally better in my 172's than my 182's, but the 182 had slightly more midrange.
People who have neither will give you a best guess opinion, people that own one will tell you 100% that theirs is the ont to go for.
Both gay for not having sachs tbh.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Like I said before I've owned both and know there strengths and weaknesses and the 182 def has a stronger top end and more grip I don't care what any1 says. More power added higher up the rev range equals faster top end wider better tyres plus better suspension equals more grip. Simples, not rocket science really people.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Hmmmmm ive had a 172 Cup, 182 Cup packed (near enough?), now a 172 Cup again. Your splitting hairs imo. There is no major difference in power at all. Imo the 182's dont feel to pull or rev as freely as a 172. Are you saying that every 182 has 10bhp more than a 172? They dont. Simples ;)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
172 cup is the original and best imo.Its the raw racer for the road,the 182 cup was just a token gesture on the back of the 172's laurels...

Z4
All comes down to whether you've got a 'goodun' or not!

Renault being the quality company they are didn't inspire consistency throughout the range...lots are low on power.

I had a 172 cup and loved it, although if I were to go back and go clio again it would either be a phase 1, a trophy, or a 182 cup at a push.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Like I said before I've owned both and know there strengths and weaknesses and the 182 def has a stronger top end and more grip I don't care what any1 says. More power added higher up the rev range equals faster top end wider better tyres plus better suspension equals more grip. Simples, not rocket science really people.
I've owned 5. on your scale, this means I know more than you. Ner-ner, ner, ner-ner. Tbh. Gay without sachs.

172 Cup
My Clios faster than your Clio, no my Clios faster than your Clio.....and on and on and on...

Entertaining though!! ;)

320d
My Clios faster than your Clio, no my Clios faster than your Clio.....and on and on and on...

Entertaining though!! ;)

This whole 172 v 182 debate is going on a lot recenty. It seems certain people think a 182 is far faster than a 172. It must be its a bigger number :rolleyes:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
There is nothing in them in the real world.Driver error is all that will separate them tbh...

172 Cup
This whole 172 v 182 debate is going on a lot recenty. It seems certain people think a 182 is far faster than a 172. It must be its a bigger number :rolleyes:

Bloody hell those new fangled RS 200s must pull a good few G's with a number like that and my god could anyone actually handle a Fiat 500!!!! ;)

MCS R56
Elaborate?

Deep breath...

172 Cup - lighter wheels, windows, interior (less toys, no leather, only two headrests), no air-con, no ABS, different suspension set-up, wider track (I think).

Basically, it's lighter, a better colour than all other Clios (M-Blue, not the boring silver version) and feels very raw by comparison! Ideal forthe track. They get a bad name because people write them trying to be heros but if you drive within the limits of the car and your skill, it's a gem! Nervous in the wet but you have to drive accordingly.

182 Cup - not a proper Cup as the attempt to strip it's weight is half ass! :rasp:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Deep breath...

172 Cup - lighter wheels, windows, interior (less toys, no leather, only two headrests), no air-con, no ABS, different suspension set-up, wider track (I think).

Basically, it's lighter, a better colour than all other Clios (M-Blue, not the boring silver version) and feels very raw by comparison! Ideal forthe track. They get a bad name because people write them trying to be heros but if you drive within the limits of the car and your skill, it's a gem! Nervous in the wet but you have to drive accordingly.

182 Cup - not a proper Cup as the attempt to strip it's weight is half ass! :rasp:

Being honest, the cup was half arsed. The weight difference to a ph1 is unnoticeable, but it gets to keep abs, ac, and the mans choice of cable throttle. "oooohhhh I need a computer to tell me how much power I'm allowed. "

MCS R56
Being honest, the cup was half arsed. The weight difference to a ph1 is unnoticeable, but it gets to keep abs, ac, and the mans choice of cable throttle. "oooohhhh I need a computer to tell me how much power I'm allowed. "

The Cup is not a Ph1 though. 80kg is a decent effort stripped from a Ph2.

The Ph1 has nothing to do with this thread, cable throttle or not. So who gives a f**k?

Z4

The Ph1 has nothing to do with this thread, cable throttle or not. So who gives a f**k?

he does, because he owns one lol.

My tt is faster than your phase 1 too, but that also is totally irrelevant.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Look, we've already established that the 182 is ten better than the 172. And that the Trophy destroys them both. And it Destroys Gallardo's too (EVO said, merchants of truth).
And ph1's are fastest and bestest.