ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup vs 182 Trophy

clio trophy No56
Never drove a 172 cup but ive got a mate who had one and hated it.
Each to their own i suppose, i think they are good looking cars.
I would imagine and have been told they would be very close, maybe the Trophy would have the slight edge on a track with similar style drivers.

After hearing good thing about the 172 cup i nearly bought one after i sold my FF182.

clio sport 172 cup
is the trophy the same spec as the cup ie no abs, air con, seats ect?
if so then surley it should be able to get a better advantage from the extra ponies under the bonnet?

M2 Competition
I'll always look back as I walk away,
This memory will last for eternity,
And all of our tears will be lost in the rain,
When I find my way back to your arms again,
But until that day you know you are the queen of my heart.

ST
I'll always look back as I walk away,
This memory will last for eternity,
And all of our tears will be lost in the rain,
When I find my way back to your arms again,
But until that day you know you are the queen of my heart.

Brings a tear mate...

A red missile
Very little it in TBH, you do get abs and aircon with the trophy and some very comfortable Recaros as well, its a total riot to drive but then again - so's a 172 cup. Guess it comes down to preference and if you're prepared to stump up the extra wedge for one, they both go like stink and deliver plenty of fun. If I didn't have a Trophy i'd probably go for a cup over a full fat- I just walked into a stealers and got middle leg the second I clapped eyes on it - sold!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Cup slightly quicker in a straight line, Trophy can carry more speed in the corners.

Megane R26, R21 Turbo
The trophy is slightly and in a s-line, if your really into modifying then buy a 172 cup then you can use the extra few thousand you would of bought a trophy with to modify it once you get over 200hp it gets expensive

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
One is a poverty spec stripped hot hatch the other has pub talk dampers and lovely recaro seats. Cant really compare as there is about a 3-4k price difference so most people go on what they can afford.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be happy with either off them, both great cars!

Depends on budget really, you can get a decent 172 cup and fit some coilovers brake upgrade for quite a bit less then the price of trophy.

320d
Never drivien either but I would say the trophy would be a better purchase as they hold there value better. Although cups are so cheap now that there isnt much money left to lose on them. PH-quicks go for 2500-3000 now and cups can be had for 4500-5000 so they will only lose 1000-2000 in 3 years.

clio 172 cup
ive looked into a trophy and i have to put myself extra4k in debt.
im better off getting
bilstein suspenison
lightweight seats
decat and 182 manifold
save 2k this way

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
ive looked into a trophy and i have to put myself extra4k in debt.
im better off getting
bilstein suspenison
lightweight seats
decat and 182 manifold
save 2k this way
Pretty sure the Bilstein's are a bit harsh for road use. Trophy's a road car, not a track car, suspension set up is awesome, carries serious speed but doesn't get upset by a poor road surface.

MCS R56
Both are fine cars. The Cup is more a cult hero, imo and the Trophy is more a track hero, with the funky suspension upgrades. I like both as they both ride on Turinis!

Can't be much between them in terms of performance on either track or road - except in the wet!!!!

Interior is definitely better in the Trophy with the Recaros.

I wouldn't swap one for my Cup.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
A gnat's c**t hair seperates them in reality...but the cheap one just edges it.

If ultimate performance is all that you're after get the Cup as it'll outperform the Trophy and cost a significant wedge less.

If it being a comfortable daily driver with suspension you won't be able to afford to replace when it wears out is a priority and you don't mind spending an extra £2-3k on what is essentially the same car...get the Trophy.

with suspension you won't be able to afford to replace when it wears out

have always thought that, too. serious expense if you have any trouble with them - just for two dampers:dapprove:

of the models in the 172/182 range, i think the 172 Cup and the Trophy will be most remembered in years to come, but for different reasons. Renault put quite a lot into lightening the Cup (and the fact that they didn't bother with subsequent models kind of bares that out) and the Trophy will always be desireable because of its limited production run and the bits on it that differentiate it from the other 182s.

Clio 182 Trophy
Thanks people, my best mate has just bought a 172 Cup and he's always teasing me about his being faster etc etc, but I can show him this thread to proove that there aint anything in it, obviously all comes down to the driver.........

A ANIMAL
with suspension you won't be able to afford to replace when it wears out

have always thought that, too. serious expense if you have any trouble with them - just for two dampers:dapprove:

They are fully rebuildable so not as bad as you'd think, i appreciate its not gonna be as cheap as a std damper - but then agian it's not a standard set-up so you expect to pay over the odds .

A ANIMAL
most probably appreciate that they can be serviced but, if they do actually require replacement, you're looking at having to spend a significant proportion of the value of the car

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If it being a comfortable daily driver with suspension you won't be able to afford to replace when it wears out is a priority and you don't mind spending an extra £2-3k on what is essentially the same car...get the Trophy.

Please get your facts right as this is a misconseption, blown out of proportion by ill informed oiks:mad:

http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5975

I'd be an ill informed oik if I had said "you won't be able to afford to get them re-built"...but I didn't did I?

Wasn't the search to find someone who could re-build them was because of the extorionate cost to replace them?

Please read what's written before responding.

Last edited:
  5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Please get your facts right as this is a misconception, blown out of proportion by ill informed oiks:mad:

http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5975

I'd be an ill informed oik if I had said "you won't be able to afford to get them re-built"...but I didn't did I?

Wasn't the search to find someone who could re-build them was because of the extorionate cost to replace them?

Please read what's written before responding.

Why would you want to replace them when you can get them refurbished?

Also i got some off eBay recently for £370, £185 each, not exactly expensive.
Nothing against you Mark but i wish people would stop spouting the same misinformed rubbish

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LOL, I wasn't misinformed and I'm not an oik!!!

I mention about not being able to afford to REPLACE them, and I get abuse followed by a link to a thread showing how they can cost effectively be RE-BUILT.

Let's see...how many people get standard dampers rebuilt once they start leaking? None at all.

Why's that then? Because they can afford to replace them becuase they are so cheap.

If the Sachs dampers were cheap enough to buy and within the means of the average Trophy owner, rebuilding would not be necessary so my original post is 100% factually correct.

Thank you!

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Yes Mark your words are correct but you conveniently neglected the fact that they are rebuildable for not much more than a replacment pair of much inferior dampers to reinforce your argument that the trophy is an less attractive option.