ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup - What Rear Bearings?

172 Cup
Hi Guys,

Just got back from a track day and the rear drivers side bearing has gone. I have been reading on here and just about everyone says to just buy a new disc with the bearing built in. However, I am fortunate as my mate has access to industrial presses so can easily pop the old bearing out and put a new one into my existing disc (which is like new).

The question I have is what bearing do I buy? I have been looking on eBay and almost of of them include the ABS ring which obviously my Cup doesnt have. Will something like this fit? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIO-SPOR...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item359a42915a

Does anyone have a link to something that will work with the 172 Cup? I really dont want to spend an extra 40 quid unless I have to.

Cheers.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Genuine is your best bet

+1

I've just fitted OE rear discs today, non OE rear discs were fitted in April by the previous owner and the bearing on the drivers side has already spat its dummy out after only 5 months.

I change as a pair, my Renault parts guy priced new rear bearings to me and they were only £4 cheaper (for the pair) than buying new discs with the bearings pressed in. No brainer, new discs. I know in my mind i've fitted all new and have the Renault invoice to prove

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Decent quality bearings like what come in the Renault and Brembo discs are nearly as much as the discs so you may aswel get new discs Will.
Measure the discs as they come with 8mm new and minimum thickness is 7mm.

Also check if the little spacer/washer is behind the discs mate as may be why the bearings have failed

172 Cup
Thanks George. I think I will try an eBay bearing for the time being as its only fifteen quid and the rear discs are almost brand new. If a cheapo bearing dies or pressing it in / out is too much of a ball ache I whack a set of Brembos on. I may well drop you a PM soon to get some Brembos when I decide pressing them in / out is a pain in the arse or when it fails after a few laps :)

BTW, the front setup you sent me worked amazingly well at Bedford yesterday mate - taking the front fogs and front liners out was a good idea!

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
No worries Will. Worth checking on the little spacers as which ever make of bearing you go for won't last long if they're missing mate

Goodstuff, glad you're happy with them! :D