ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup what to look out for?!

172 cup
Hello i am new to the forum. Two weeks ago i had my valver stolen which i was mortified about and i feel its time to get something a bit newer. I went to view a Blue 172 cup with 20000 miles on it 03 plate fsh and looks in ok nick but not spotless. the interior is like brand new and its on for 5500 going to try and knock him down a little on that tho and get some goodies chucked in. going back for a test drive tommorow and wanted to know if i should look out for anything?
common faults?
first cam belt change milage?
just some general advice i think as i have not really read up about them. my friend has a 172 and its really nice so i have just gone on what i have seen from his

thank you for reading everyone!

Cambelt is 5 years or 72k whichever's first.

Check that the bumpstrips arent fading, the wheels aren't peeling and that the seller doesn't tell you that it has ABS.

172 cup
Cambelt is 5 years or 72k whichever's first.

Check that the bumpstrips arent fading, the wheels aren't peeling and that the seller doesn't tell you that it has ABS.

right the wheels looked ok i did notice it had faded on one door skirt leading upto the 2/0 16v silver bit... maybe i should try and get them to replace that in the deal?

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
check the exhaust as these tend to rust due to bad design.

If it has the original it will need replacing very soon unless it's been garaged its whole life.

Also worth checking the brake discs back and front as this can be costly.

172 cup
ok cheers pettsi will check that out dint no about it. its standard exhaust so guessing it will be ready for dropping off! i will check brakes too, bits of advice like this help so i know specific stuff to look out for!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Check there is a splitter, first off.
Door strips are only coloured plastic....they aren't body coloured i.e glossy.
Cambelt should now be done. 2003 cars are due.
If its the standard exhaust, check for signs of severe corrosion. Backbox and centre section are most prone.

Common things are engine mounts, lower balljoints and power steering return pipe leaks.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
No ABS so check for any kind of crash damage mainly front end.

Aux belt needs doing at 36k IIRC.

As said knock 100 or so off for splitter, look for other things too such as tax, mot, next service etc and general wear and tear inc tyres and wheel chips.

Take it for a drive and check for any knocking, steering judder or any service lights.

Take a mate with you too, they might notice something you don't :)

I

invisible man

Aux belt needs doing at 36k IIRC.

As said knock 100 or so off for splitter, look for other things too such as tax, mot, next service etc and general wear and tear inc tyres and wheel chips.

Take it for a drive and check for any knocking, steering judder or any service lights.

Take a mate with you too, they might notice something you don't :)

:lolup: