ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup won't turn over

clio 172 cup 03
As above really. The starter won't turn the engine. Checked the usual...... fuses, earthing, battery voltage, immobiliser light on dash (it does go out), fuel pump sounds to be working, rocked the car in gear. Also did a search on this forum. Had this problem after removing my washer pump :S. Car was working fine 2 days ago. Can anyone help please?

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Do you hear a "Click" followed by deathly silence? If so firstly check the 120A fused link that makes up the + battery terminal to starter motor wire. If this is okay then it is most likely going to be an earthing issue as I had a '182 in my workshop today that had this very problem (Except this one would start and run fine until it was driven. When you hit a bump it would then cut out and not restart until you faffed about with the earth strap).

Mick

clio 172 cup 03
Hi mick, thanks for the quick reply. Theres just a silence- no click. I have checked the 120A fused link + terminal.. 12v either side! Wherabouts was the earth strap problem? I will check this tommorow if I can find it.

clio 172 cup 03
Well I have checked earth straps by gearbox, they seem ok.

This problem came about when I changed the windscreen washer pump. When I refitted the wipers the wiper arm was in the wrong position, purposely (because it was easier to get the bottle out). I didn't turn back on the ignition untill I fitted the wipers. Whe I switched it back on the wipers went into the bulkhead, I then turned the ignition off, as soon as I realised my stupid mistake. Do you think this is related in any way, as the wipers and washer pump work ok?

Could it be some sensor causing the problem. BTW I run a decat and rs tuner.

Please help.

Rob

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Unlikely its a sensor im afraid to say... do the wipers still work? Have you checked the main fuses yet?

clio 172 cup 03
The wipers work ok, and the main fuses ie engine bay and side of dashboard are all ok. I am guessing, but is it likely to be the starter motor?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Trust me, just because the above all work doesn't mean the earth from the battery negative terminal to the bodywork isn't goosed! By all means check the starter solenoid live and all associated wiring to the starter to be sure but the '182 I've just repaired did exactly the same and all the interior electrics worked fine. However, when you popped the ignition key to the "START" position you got nothing but a faint "Click" or sometimes you could see the PAS pump move a degree or two.

Feel the earth cable after a few attempt - If it's warm its D-U-N!

clio 172 cup 03
Tried the earth cable as suggested, still nothing. The earth resistance measuremant is also low.

I have bump started car and it runs fine. Are there any guides on changing a solenoid and/or starter?

Its awkward to get to the solenoid cable to check the volts...... will have to get underneath, but the relay works... mmm what next?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You can't just change the starter solenoid as it's part of the starter motor - Pull the starter and bench test it before buying a new one.

clio 172 cup 03
I have change the starter motor, still no joy:mad:. Does anyone know what relay feeds the solenoind (via white wire), so I can check if I have 12v?

clio 172 cup 03
Yes it bump starts. Does the power to the solenoid pass via a relay, so I can trace back the white wire from solenoid.

Last edited: