ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup - worth it?

Hey,

So I've been driving a diesel for a while now, and I really, desperately need something more exciting. 172 seems like a good bet as it's a) cheap to buy, run and insure and b) pretty fun to drive.

What I can't quite get my head around is the 172 Cup, though. Are they good enough to warrant the complete lack of equipment? Don't get me wrong, they look awesome (love the blue) and I'm sure they're great fun - but no AC (the biggest worry for me), no leather/suede, no cruise control, no xenons, nothing... Is it *really* worth it? I would have thought a car that's supposed to be sportier than others in its range would have a sportier interior - but from what I've seen the Cup interior wouldn't look out of place in a 1.2 Nova!

If you own one - sorry, I don't mean to offend you! Just curious to know whether it's really worth dropping *all* of that equipment for .3 seconds to 60. Is the handling much, much better?

Thanks in advance

Evo 6, E92 320d
I think the main question is would you miss all that equipment if you didn't have it.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I had this debate, I drove a cup before buying the 172, when I got in the 172 I instantly felt happier with where I was, and the 172 pulled so much better than the cup - obviously it will be different from car to car but that made my mind up there and then, best of both worlds...

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Cup is the winner everytime. Turinis, cup spoiler and its faster. Looks great in the mondial blue and its easyier to maintain. Theres less to go wrong. Stick a decent set of seats in and you will be hard pushed to find a hothatch thats as fun for the money.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Less equipment = less to go wrong. It is French after all ;)

Spot on. And the seats, although they look dull, are very supportive. It's well made and the quality of the plastics is bob-on.

Personally, I'd rather my Cup had less equipment than it already has. I'm talking manual windows and mirrors, etc.

if you've already got reservations about the on-paper-spec, thing to do is to drive a few of each to see if you feel that whatever difference you can tell is worth the compromise. everyone has an opinion, but it's based on their own perceptions, and might not be as your own.

there were a small number of Cups fitted with climate control by the way

True - less to go wrong has to be a good thing.

TBH the only thing I'd really, really miss is AC/CC - if it weren't for that I reckon I'd probably go for one.

I didn't think many cups had CC fitted (only the much later ones, which are quite hard to find?).

True - less to go wrong has to be a good thing.

TBH the only thing I'd really, really miss is AC/CC - if it weren't for that I reckon I'd probably go for one.

I didn't think many cups had CC fitted (only the much later ones, which are quite hard to find?).

Alot of the 53/04 plate cups have CC I'm sure, I looked a fair few before buying mine and alot had CC.

Edit: It was mainly 53plates I was looking at, the 04 plates are rare.

MCS R56
The Cup's sportier nature isn't about style and comfort. It's about losing weight so that it handles better. The Cup feels really raw compared to the 172.

As far as 0-60's are concerned, how often do you actually try this and more importantly, get it perfect? The weight saving is felt in the handling.

Want comfort - go for the 172. Want better handling - go for the Cup.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Cup is the winner everytime. Turinis, cup spoiler and its faster. Looks great in the mondial blue and its easyier to maintain. Theres less to go wrong. Stick a decent set of seats in and you will be hard pushed to find a hothatch thats as fun for the money.

Hows it a winner then if you have to change the seats?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
The Cup's sportier nature isn't about style and comfort. It's about losing weight so that it handles better. The Cup feels really raw compared to the 172.

As far as 0-60's are concerned, how often do you actually try this and more importantly, get it perfect? The weight saving is felt in the handling.

Want comfort - go for the 172. Want better handling - go for the Cup.

I agree, the 172 cup imo is a rawer better drivers car.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
If comes down to if ya like your cars raw or not. There is a big difference between the 2. Sounds to me you should stick with a ff 1 as you don't really appretiate the differences.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Hows it a winner then if you have to change the seats?

My personal preference. Its the only thing the cup is missing as standard, the seats are gash. Sit in my seats then sit in standard seats you will see what i mean. Tbvh i couldnt have a "FF" 172 or a 182 its not my style these days.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
One thing to bare in mind if your a younger driver (21 or there abouts) is insurance on the cup may be trickier. Alot of companies dont want to touch them due to the lack of abs etc.

Z4
It depends what you want.

I know for a fact my car feels completely different when I have a few passengers (to make it the same weight as a FF), handling is more wobbley, takes longer o brake, in gear acceleration isn't anywhere near as sharp.

I don't regret having the cup, it's just what I wanted. It also depends what you're used to, personally the only things I would like in mine would be xenons, ac for the 2 weeks of summer we get, and cruise control (which can be retro fitted, I just cba). I like the rawness, it sounds a bit louder, and is just that little bit more mental..which is what a hot hatch should be imo.

172 Cup
I chose the Cup as I much preferred the look of it compared to the regular one. Wasn't bothered about the "toys" particularly A/C as I live in one of the wettest areas in the country. Only thing I wasn't keen on was the seats which I changed out for regular FF seats- when I weighed them the difference wasn't that much and they look and feel so much smarter! My only problem with the Cup which I think a lot of people have is because the track is slightly wider you get a lot of small chips on teh skirts and bottom of the doors.

I'm 31 fully comp with a named driver of 25 with 1 years driving experience £300! :)

Z4
Duno how you do it.

Im 23, 0 crashes, 0 points and paying £800 on my 182. I also live in an area where my car would be right at the bottom of the pecking order for a car thief compared to some of the other cars around.

insurance lottery mate.
I have 4 years ncb, live in the lowest crime rate area, have my mum on the policy as a named driver (full ncb etc), and only do 5k per year.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
I'm 21 insuring a cup fully comp for £570 :)

How did ypou manage that :eek::eek::eek: (just seen the above post)

Me and the g/f are on my policy. I was 20 when my renewal came through and im being charged £1200 ish fully comp :eek: shes 23 with 3 years ncb and the main driver. Garaged also.

Last edited:
  Audi TT 3.2 V6
Ahhhh..... Will have to try adding my mum on again. Added her and my nan as named drivers years ago and halved my insurance on my old 1.2

Adding my gf whos younger than me and been driving less than me also knocks £100 or so off normally lol.

Ive only got 3 yrs ncb, been driving 5 years (Drove my old dears car for 2 years while at college). Just checked my postcode is a B rating which i must admit suprises me, i expected it to be better.

MCS R56
I chose the Cup as I much preferred the look of it compared to the regular one. Wasn't bothered about the "toys" particularly A/C as I live in one of the wettest areas in the country. Only thing I wasn't keen on was the seats which I changed out for regular FF seats- when I weighed them the difference wasn't that much and they look and feel so much smarter! My only problem with the Cup which I think a lot of people have is because the track is slightly wider you get a lot of small chips on teh skirts and bottom of the doors.

I'm 31 fully comp with a named driver of 25 with 1 years driving experience £300! :)

Mine was £209 last year at 31. My 330 is only £200, which is nice!

Clio 172 Cup
I'm 33 and I'm paying more for my Cup, think the postcode ain't the best.

Is the cup worth it? Never driven a 172, but as soon as I drive the Cup on a good road the fact I don't have a few creature comforts isn't a problem. Lot cheaper to run too without ac.

ValverInBits
Why not consider a Phase 1 172? then you get a car as light as a cup with the nice seats and the AC?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Funny how people with a particular car defend it and dismiss others - not having a pop here just an observation, cup drivers dismiss the extras and non essentials and play on the 'rawness' of the car, trophy drivers play on the handling and rarity, 182 cuppers say its the best all-rounder and 172 drivers (ph1) play on originality and (ph2) usually on best colours!

I'd love to meet the man who has owned a standard variation of all of them and would be willing to give a total unbiased opinion.

Like I said I'm not having a go but maybe its natural to defend your own. coming from the mk1's I reguarly had to defend the willy against some who played down its superiority over the 16v, having owned both for long periods of time I was able to make a fair comparison.

Z4
Funny how people with a particular car defend it and dismiss others - not having a pop here just an observation, cup drivers dismiss the extras and non essentials and play on the 'rawness' of the car, trophy drivers play on the handling and rarity, 182 cuppers say its the best all-rounder and 172 drivers (ph1) play on originality and (ph2) usually on best colours!

I'd love to meet the man who has owned a standard variation of all of them and would be willing to give a total unbiased opinion.

Like I said I'm not having a go but maybe its natural to defend your own. coming from the mk1's I reguarly had to defend the willy against some who played down its superiority over the 16v, having owned both for long periods of time I was able to make a fair comparison.

Naturally people will defend what they own, but it's obvious isn't it, I could have had bought any of the clio sport range, but I went with the 172 cup as for me it was the best.

In all honesty the trophy is the best, but when I bought mine trophys were still fetching silly money.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Naturally people will defend what they own, but it's obvious isn't it, I could have had bought any of the clio sport range, but I went with the 172 cup as for me it was the best.

In all honesty the trophy is the best, but when I bought mine trophys were still fetching silly money.

ahh but did you drive ALL the variants to come to that conclusion? or did you take into consideration also peoples opinions?

I think your right though, maybe we all justify our hard earned purchases so we're a little happier in our decisions!

I drove a cup, a 182 cup packs and a 172 before choosing which to get, quick test though isn't the same as living with one admittedly but I had to make my decisions based on what I had tried.

You never know it might not actually be the best choice for me, I never tried a ph1, non cupped 182 or a trophy - mainly due to dismissing them for dash, the fact it wasn't cupped, and costs over what I'd be getting with regards to the trophy...

I may have ended up with a ph1 after all if I'd have driven one! :eek:

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Ive now owned my 182 for approx 15-16months.

If i had to buy it again, hand on heart the only difference for me would have been i would have bought one with cup spoiler pack and recaros.

Sure Trophies are the pincacle of the mk2 sport range however i dont like the colour. lol. Cup i wouldnt buy as i like my aircon and abs too much. Not sure ive had my abs kick in on my 182 in the time ive had it but im sure one day it will show its uses. mk1 172...the dash :dead:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

IMO all the RS clio's are great, it just depends on what you're after.

Z4
ahh but did you drive ALL the variants to come to that conclusion? or did you take into consideration also peoples opinions?

I think your right though, maybe we all justify our hard earned purchases so we're a little happier in our decisions!

I drove a cup, a 182 cup packs and a 172 before choosing which to get, quick test though isn't the same as living with one admittedly but I had to make my decisions based on what I had tried.

You never know it might not actually be the best choice for me, I never tried a ph1, non cupped 182 or a trophy - mainly due to dismissing them for dash, the fact it wasn't cupped, and costs over what I'd be getting with regards to the trophy...

I may have ended up with a ph1 after all if I'd have driven one! :eek:

I drove a 172 and 182 before the cup and I just didn't get the same buzz from them. Admittedly clios all have different power outputs so this may also have been a contribution.

All I know is that I pished myself last night as a motorbike was trying to show off to his fellow passenger by overtaking me but couldn't!

To be fair, I was waiting for him to overtake, and as luck happened I was at 4.5k on 2nd when he chose his moment! And his power to weight ratio was down due to his passenger. Did make me smile though :)