ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup - worth it?

Mine was £209 last year at 31. My 330 is only £200, which is nice!

I'm in the market for a 172 Cup and checked out confused.com for a quote, and it came out at £365 full comp, protected NCB.

Looking at some of the prices other people have declared, I'm now very confused!

I'm 42 years 'young', and never had a claim in 24 years of driving.

Going back to the subject of the thread, I'm only after a 172 Cup, as it will be a dual purpose car - road and track. My daily commute is small, and so I don't need many creature comforts.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Do the late cups have ABS? Iv seen a few 2004 cups for sale which claim to have ABS.
(Its probably the advertisers mistake..) But im entruiged to know..

MCS R56
I'm in the market for a 172 Cup and checked out confused.com for a quote, and it came out at £365 full comp, protected NCB.

Looking at some of the prices other people have declared, I'm now very confused!

I'm 42 years 'young', and never had a claim in 24 years of driving.

Going back to the subject of the thread, I'm only after a 172 Cup, as it will be a dual purpose car - road and track. My daily commute is small, and so I don't need many creature comforts.

Must be to do with area as you clearly are a safe driver!

MCS R56
I drove a 172 and 182 before the cup and I just didn't get the same buzz from them. Admittedly clios all have different power outputs so this may also have been a contribution.

All I know is that I pished myself last night as a motorbike was trying to show off to his fellow passenger by overtaking me but couldn't!

To be fair, I was waiting for him to overtake, and as luck happened I was at 4.5k on 2nd when he chose his moment! And his power to weight ratio was down due to his passenger. Did make me smile though :)

So you are taking the pi$$ or the bike was a 125. Or the bike driver thought you were being dangerous and decided to back off. Almost any bike over 125cc will have no problem seeing off a Clio, pillion or not.

Z4
So you are taking the pi$$ or the bike was a 125. Or the bike driver thought you were being dangerous and decided to back off. Almost any bike over 125cc will have no problem seeing off a Clio, pillion or not.

None of the above.

I don't know a huge amount about bikes but it looked fairly decent, nothing crazy like an R1 or ninja but it didn't look slow.

Wasn't driving dangerously either, simple fact of he probably wasn't expecting it (where I was, and at optimum revs) and he probably didn't give it 100% until too late and his power to weight ratio was down.

Audi TT 3.2 V6

Nah some 400's with with a pillion will struggle with a 172/182. Believe it or not its upto you. Im not saying all just some. Depends on gearing etc.

MCS R56
None of the above.

I don't know a huge amount about bikes but it looked fairly decent, nothing crazy like an R1 or ninja but it didn't look slow.

Wasn't driving dangerously either, simple fact of he probably wasn't expecting it (where I was, and at optimum revs) and he probably didn't give it 100% until too late and his power to weight ratio was down.

You're right, you don't know much about bikes. How heavy was this passenger, in order for the bike to be slower than a Clio?

And it is classed dangerous if you are waiting to for someone to overtake and then not allow them to when they go for it.

You are right about one thing - he probably didn't give it 100% as you would have got toasted!

MCS R56
Nah some 400's with with a pillion will struggle with a 172/182. Believe it or not its upto you. Im not saying all just some. Depends on gearing etc.

Well, I guess if we don't know what the bike was, there is no point in discussing. Most bikes wouldn't have a problem, that's all I'm saying.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Majority of bikes >250 would rape a Clio. End.

Most proper bikes make a lambo or ferrari look slow.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Not turning this into bikes v Clios.

lol you started it with this comment.......

Unquote.

MCS R56
lol you started it with this comment.......

Unquote.

Yes and I made my point. Which is, he is delusional!

ladies!

welcome to the OP by the way. you need to read between the lines - you'll get used to it:)

Hehe - so I see! Don't worry, I'm used to it from the other car forums I've belonged to. Dunno what it is, but car nutts love arguing with each other. ;D

S3, Polo
My comparisons between a 172 and a 172 Cup favoured the Cup. That's because I want a track car. Your opinion will probably be different due to your intended usage.

As someone else said: It's all subjective.

To the member who raced a bike and 'won' - My 2001 R6 would eat a clio even with 2 pillions/ passengers - if that were ever possible!

Food for thought for the doubters:
R6 = 112bhp/ 171kg
Clio = 172bhp/ ~1000kg

Doesn't add up that you beat anything other than a 125/ 250. Sorry.

Last edited:
  Z4
Yes and I made my point. Which is, he is delusional!

The only point you made is that you're clearly a James Blunt.

I'm not delusional, I was merely sharing an experience I had with my cup, and had already pre emptied someone throwing their toys out of the pram so no worries on that front.

I didn't get a chance to see what bike it was as 1) I'm no motorbike expert, and 2) I was too busy driving! You'd be amazed what you can stay in front of if you catch them off guard and your car is on the boiling point.

I'm sure the bike is much faster, but that doesn't take away the fact I made him look very silly.

To the member who raced a bike and 'won' - My 2001 R6 would eat a clio even with 2 pillions/ passengers - if that were ever possible!

Food for thought for the doubters:
R6 = 112bhp/ 171kg
Clio = 172bhp/ ~1000kg

Doesn't add up that you beat anything other than a 125/ 250. Sorry.

Wow, you must be hung like a horse.

Obviously the R6 would be far faster, I never debated that fact....I dont get my thrills from having an engine near my nads mind..

320d
Its best to drive both and then see how you feel after then. Running costs etc are the same. Yes insurance may be a little more on the cup but the maintenance costs are less.

Its just simply the feel of the car for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Megane Mk4
Would you please keep on topic and kindly stop insulting each other please?

Thanking you kindly.

S3, Polo
[offTopic]

Wow, you must be hung like a horse.

I am, but that's beside the point.

Let's keep this civil.

I was merely illustrating some facts. Call it an education and a favour to stop you looking silly in the future.

For reference: The R6 is a typical - not that fast - 600cc sports bike.

Sports bikes tend to come in a few variants:

125cc - 25bhp
600cc - 110bhp
750cc - 130bhp
1000cc - 165+bhp

There are also old 250cc 2-stroke (50bhp) and 400cc 4-stroke (60bhp).

Make your own mind up about power-to-weight ratios and acceleration vs. a car.

Please PM me if you want to continue the debate...

[/offTopic]

Yes, a Cup *appears* to be worth it (from a to-be owner).

clio rs
the only thing i miss is the A/C in out 2-3 weeks of uk summer aprat from that the cup wins all the time. I drove my mates 172ff and its pretty boring compared to my cup, i can notice the differance. Its like the cup is a mk1 golf gti and the 172ff is the mk2 golf gti. Be greatfull wat the cup does cum with compared to the 172ff, betters looks, handling and fun factor.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
the only thing i miss is the A/C in out 2-3 weeks of uk summer aprat from that the cup wins all the time. I drove my mates 172ff and its pretty boring compared to my cup, i can notice the differance. Its like the cup is a mk1 golf gti and the 172ff is the mk2 golf gti. Be greatfull wat the cup does cum with compared to the 172ff, betters looks, handling and fun factor.

That may be your opinion but mine is very different - I didn't think the 172 driven hard gave away much to the cup at all - if anything it was far more suited to the s**t roads I was pasting down than the cup, cup wasn't very graceful over the bumps whereas the 172 was planted and stable through the same course, granted it torque steers a tad more due to track width but that can be countered with a good driving style.

Anyway forget any mk2 for fun factor and rawness, they're all numb compared to the daddy - Go get a Clio Williams and enjoy ;)

MCS R56
That may be your opinion but mine is very different - I didn't think the 172 driven hard gave away much to the cup at all - if anything it was far more suited to the s**t roads I was pasting down than the cup, cup wasn't very graceful over the bumps whereas the 172 was planted and stable through the same course, granted it torque steers a tad more due to track width but that can be countered with a good driving style.

Anyway forget any mk2 for fun factor and rawness, they're all numb compared to the daddy - Go get a Clio Williams and enjoy ;)

I guess he'll be looking for a car that works.

Clio MK 4
personally i'm glad i got a 172ff rather than cup. Only thing i want from the cup is the turinis. As for the air con i hardly use mine if im honest. I mean we live in england and the weather is pretty shite 70% of the time. And when it is nice and hot i like having windows down .

Nippy white cup
The problem is with test driving is the difference between one car to another....GENERALLY the cups seem to be faster (my experience from 1/4mile times...yes its a straight line but because there is 'no skill' involved it is down to which car pulls the best and not drivers balls) but you will get a good engined 172 that will past a poor engined cup.

I got mine because at the time there were very few about, I loved the colour/wheels and having come from a 5 turbo I didn't miss the air con (which I haven't used for months in the 182) or the abs/traction control. As for the seats iirc apart from the lumber support they are the same as the FF's apart from the covering

Chris

Renaultsport 200

Unless it is something like an Aprillia RS, a 125 will be have to be at full chat to get past and even then still might not do it. I think id want 200cc's or more tbh to get past a Renault Sport at full throttle in 2nd gear.

Unless of course it was a Triumph that was trying to get past. That would just break down and the Clio would be off!

lol

MCS R56
Unless it is something like an Aprillia RS, a 125 will be have to be at full chat to get past and even then still might not do it. I think id want 200cc's or more tbh to get past a Renault Sport at full throttle in 2nd gear.

Unless of course it was a Triumph that was trying to get past. That would just break down and the Clio would be off!

lol

But the Clio on full throttle in 2nd gear (we're talking like 4750rpm here) will take anything this side of Veyron. Are you sure a 200cc will suffice, not forgetting it's the Cup?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
The problem is with test driving is the difference between one car to another....GENERALLY the cups seem to be faster (my experience from 1/4mile times...yes its a straight line but because there is 'no skill' involved it is down to which car pulls the best and not drivers balls) but you will get a good engined 172 that will past a poor engined cup.

I got mine because at the time there were very few about, I loved the colour/wheels and having come from a 5 turbo I didn't miss the air con (which I haven't used for months in the 182) or the abs/traction control. As for the seats iirc apart from the lumber support they are the same as the FF's apart from the covering

Chris

When you got yours I was like coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

Always a pleasure to see it parked up at your works! I still had the valver then, oh how times have changed!

Mazda 323f 2.0 sport
a had a cup there until january,and the lack of luxuries didnt bother me,but suppose a was used to old rs turbo's, a think the cup is what gives you that close feeling to havin a stripped out car without havin to take seats out or anything,plenty noise,raw feeling,good handling,only thing a found a bit to get used to was the lack of ABS,never driven a ff but if the things you mention bother you buy a ff,dont go for a cup.

120d M Sport
I fancy a cup next...don't think I've ever driven a car without ABS does it make that much difference in day to day driving?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
day to day no - infact sometimes I wish this didn't have abs, but sometimes I thank the lord it does! ;)

MCS R56
I fancy a cup next...don't think I've ever driven a car without ABS does it make that much difference in day to day driving?

Depends how you drive. People have driven for 10's and 10's of years without ABS. Sure, it's a handy thing to have but it doesn't mean it's dangerous not to have it.

How often do you lock up the wheels?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Depends how you drive. People have driven for 10's and 10's of years without ABS. Sure, it's a handy thing to have but it doesn't mean it's dangerous not to have it.

How often do you lock up the wheels?

You have to remember that at least half of this forum are people that are to young to remember cars without ABS though.

Lol at the one who thinks he whipped a bike because he was driving a cup. If it really did happen then do you honestly think the outcome would have been any different in a normal 172, I think not:rolleyes:.