ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup - worth it?

MCS R56
You have to remember that at least half of this forum are people that are to young to remember cars without ABS though.

Lol at the one who thinks he whipped a bike because he was driving a cup. If it really did happen then do you honestly think the outcome would have been any different in a normal 172, I think not:rolleyes:.

True that.

they're quite sharp, the Cup's brakes; I'd be much happier (on the public road) if they were ABS-equipped. 'thankfully', i've fitted Redstuffs, and there's no chance of being able to lock them up if i'm taken by surprise:clown:

side note, but it's endlessly amusing the way some of you lot go on about the Cup. it's just a small car with a big engine in it

Depends how you drive. People have driven for 10's and 10's of years without ABS. Sure, it's a handy thing to have but it doesn't mean it's dangerous not to have it.

How often do you lock up the wheels?

I did 25 laps of Knockhill today in the rain and didn't lock up once, and I was really going for it.... if you're good enough, you don't need ABS to save you

is ABS a good safety feature? yes of course... but it's not essential for everybody

172 (sold), Elise,
I'm going through this at the moment - off to look at a non-cup this week. Drove a cup before and lived it but I have a niggle that this will be my everyday, non-track car and maybe I should get the luxurys....

A/C - don't think I would miss it - does the car demist OK in winter without a/c?
ABS - I would worry slightly about the g/f - certainly would look to get her on some driver training to learn to account for lack of ABS - I did a first lotus day comparing abs equipped VX220 and non-abs elise. At first I stopped several car lengths shorter with ABS but with training he soon was out braking me. WIth training I could feather on the edge of abs and brake sooner without it.
Seats - I would be looking at a cheap solution, they seemed supportive but look aweful and are very high.

I think I'm talking myself into a cup here!

Funny that they go for more second hand - I though originally they were cheaper to buy?