ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Dynoed today

Just had my 182 remapped by Ktec and got 190bhp. Better pickup as well as more go. Very pleased as will anyone be who buys it, as it is going up for sale soon!

Your car just got a remap and no other mods? if its just a remap you havent no where near got 190bhp

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
Your car just got a remap and no other mods? if its just a remap you havent no where near got 190bhp
Oh dear. This is why I frequent this site less these days.
Obviously you know more than Ktec then! :rolleyes:
For the record, it has a Scorpion exhaust an ITG panel filter fitted by Ktec as part of the deal and some headwork.

Please try and be a little less quick out of the taps next time,eh?:cool:

53 Clio's & counting
Im entriged - what has the head had done? Genuine question, as most go for cams before headwork, so be interested to hear your experiences

Oh dear. This is why I frequent this site less these days.
Obviously you know more than Ktec then! :rolleyes:
For the record, it has a Scorpion exhaust an ITG panel filter fitted by Ktec as part of the deal and some headwork.

Please try and be a little less quick out of the taps next time,eh?:cool:

Maybe tell a bit more next time then instead of just saying remap ;) you must have cams installed for 190bhp

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
Im entriged - what has the head had done? Genuine question, as most go for cams before headwork, so be interested to hear your experiences
Cams before headwork is a waste of time. Usually the valves and seats are a bit burnt so will lose some compression and it isn't a good idea to open the valves further as the stems will be dragging stuff through the guides. Most Renault heads respond well to good headwork. I have stock cams BTW. I have a company that does all my heads etc with good results as you can see. Oh, I lied not 190 but actually 189.4!!!!!
This is a much better way to increase power than with cams IMHO.
I will post the graph when I get a mo'
Ktec agreed with me that this forum has too many self-appointed experts unfortunately. The results on my car speak for themselves I think. It isn't what you do or fit with cams, throttle bodies etc It is the results on a good dyno and what it is like to drive. This car is now stonkingly good to drive, and compares very well to anything else I have driven. But it will have to go soon to help finance the Maserati!

53 Clio's & counting
To be fair, cams done correctly are a good modification - the Schricks I have were fitted along with the head coming off and new valves for the very reason you have stated, but to be fair cams can still give a good increase over a standard engine.

The heads always need cleaning on the inlet ports - they always look terrble - but having the head off and sorted also costs a lot more than a set of cams, if you cant do the work yourself, so it's swings and roundabouts in my opinion.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I'll be interested to see it. I've seen some CFM's for modified heads and the best gains seem to be at mid valve lifts so i would like to see how that changes the way the engine makes it power.

Ph1
Cams before headwork is a waste of time. Usually the valves and seats are a bit burnt so will lose some compression and it isn't a good idea to open the valves further as the stems will be dragging stuff through the guides. Most Renault heads respond well to good headwork. I have stock cams BTW. I have a company that does all my heads etc with good results as you can see. Oh, I lied not 190 but actually 189.4!!!!!
This is a much better way to increase power than with cams IMHO.
I will post the graph when I get a mo'
Ktec agreed with me that this forum has too many self-appointed experts unfortunately. The results on my car speak for themselves I think. It isn't what you do or fit with cams, throttle bodies etc It is the results on a good dyno and what it is like to drive. This car is now stonkingly good to drive, and compares very well to anything else I have driven. But it will have to go soon to help finance the Maserati!

That is a good gain to say you havent any mods making use of the headwork / flow. Sounds a bit Lad Motorsport tbh but will be interesting to see the graph :)

TBF, the tuning industry past and present is equally full of self appointed experts

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Always used to work well on the old CVH. If you ported the head, didn't go nuts on the port size and kept the standard cam it turned into a little torque monster. Well for an N/A 1.6 anyway. I ended up with the standard cars torque at 2000rpm instead of 4000rpm and 20lbs/ft more at the old cars torque peak. Didn't gain much up the top end power wise as the standard cam was all done by 6000rpm. All it needed was a fiddle with the timing and a jet change. It transformed the car completely!

Was easy to change cams on that engine so i fitted the head while i saved up for a fast road cam. almost didn't get one as it pulled so well.

I know the F4R is a different engine but i would expect a similar effect if it was re-mapped to take advantage of the head. although probably not as huge a change as the older hemi CVH heads weren't great in standard form so. It would be nicer for a road car to keep the standard cams and not push the power further up the rev range but these heads aren't crap by far as standard so fitting cams is a cheaper way especially if you do it at the same time as a timing belt change. Plenty of 182s when i was looking are at that mileage and haven't had the belt done yet.

Also the cam timing on these engines is retarded at 6500rpm as standard does anyone know when the cams actually stop producing power unretarded? as keeping them in if they are still making power with extra head flow would keep the power coming.

Either way seems like a good route to me :)

Not a bad figure, hasn't seem to have lost too much.

Oh and to the essex boys we are having a dyno day in Ipswich at the beginning of Nov £30 a head if you want to come, check the east of england forum