ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 engine removal

A sexy one
Right.. I did a 172 conversion on my 1.2 (ph2) and I'm now wanting to remove the engine and box but leaving the subframe, has anybody removed the engine from the box and lifted the engine out on its own? As Ill need to keep it mobile so I dnt want to drop it all on the subframe, then il remove remove the box after the engine. The main reason for this is because I'm halfway through doing a wire tuck\smooth bay and goin to be makin a custom gearbox mount so I don't have the huge standard battery tray one and this will be welded/smoothed into the bay

172/1.2/E30
I don't think it's possible to remove only the engine through the top. Engine and gearbox as a unit aren't a problem though.

clio 172 phs 1
Yep as above,engine and box slide out no probs from the top,it's more work taking it down the way IMO.

SQ5
I can get one out in about 2 hours flat now.

I wrote a guide for the guides section on here

Ph1 T
Sound Danny...

I imagine your put in took out numerous amount of engines though this will be my first time

I did a drive in drive out change on Russ' exclusive in about 9 hours. Which was also a new clutch, cambelt, aux kit, water pump, Including lunch,and looking at chips car.

Ph1 T
I did a drive in drive out change on Russ' exclusive in about 9 hours. Which was also a new clutch, cambelt, aux kit, water pump, Including lunch,and looking at chips car.

Not bad going that I'd be happy to get mine out in that time,,

182cup & 172 racecar
If you want to move it with the engine and box out, remember to put the drive shafts back in and tie them up.

You will kill your front bearings otherwise.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you want to move it with the engine and box out, remember to put the drive shafts back in and tie them up.

You will kill your front bearings otherwise.

Or just put a big nut and bolt through to hold the wheel bearing together which is what I have done in the past.

I took my turbo engine out yesterday, takes a few hours if you are just going fairly steady at it:
C094267D-892D-4ACB-9803-8A1D56474BB9-8019-000006872D39539C.jpg

You will not be able to get the engine off the box without either taking them both out as a pair and then splitting or taking the subframe down so you can pull the box out, there isnt enough room to move the box over on its own without lowering that side of the frame.

Ph1 T
I'll be taking the engine out and it won't be going back in,, the car will just be left stood on the drive tbh and eventually picked up by a scrappy

A sexy one
When I did the original conversion we had it done in 5days but thats removin the original 1.2 swapping complete looms and also fitting the aircon from the sport which required the bulk cut and all the airbag sensors think the only only wirin original is for the rear lights