ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 exhaust blowing/cat?

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
On the way to my girlfriend's house tonight and as I started to accelerate it seemed as if my exhaust was blowing. There's a distinct loss of power and when accelerating the car judders, almost as if you're pulling away in too high a gear. This happens throughout the rev range, from pulling away in first from a standstill to accelerating from 4th to 5th at 70mph.

There is also a distinct change of noise, almost like a burble, but this is only when accelerating. I also revved the car in neutral and the sound occurs, and there seems to be a rattling and vibration from the cat. Could this be the problem?

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Oh, and when driving, clutch down and rev hard, the emissions light flashes for about 10 seconds and then goes out.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
So I had the AA out yesterday and the fault code was random misfire. So the AA guy reckons it's the coil pack or possibly the plugs or leads. Anyone come across this before?

Clio cup 172
Happened to me yesterday mate, car sounded like a subaru, emisson light came on then went off. Took it to mechanic, he checked exhaust but all was fine. I asked for a second opinion and when i mentioned sudden loss of power and engine shaking, he immediately said either coil pack or HT leads. Other threads have mentioned lambda sensor. Hopefully getting new coil pack tomorrow. I'll keep you posted

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Easy to replace? Done the coil pack on mine today, slightly better but still not perfect

500 Twinair
Could be the lambada sensor Ross, it happened to mine a few weeks ago, emission light came on and couldnt rev above 3k in every gear, it sounded like a scooby giving it some.

Clio cup 172
Leads are very easy to replace, just lift off the manifold (7 x 10 mil screws). the coil pack has to come off too. Do it when the manifold is cool. My car could still rev high even though it was misfiring. If it was the lambda sensor, the diagnostics would have picked it up. My money is on the leads mate. Sounds exactly what was wrong with mine

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
So it toatally went today. Stuck in traffic and kept stalling. Got it onto my girlfriends drive and it was popping and banging like a good'un! Got it somehow to her mum's work. They're gonna have a look tomorrow, but plugs and leads are their first port of call, followed by fuel pump and sensors. They also reckon the cat may be blocked or fucked as it's baking the engine end but cooler as you move towards the back box. It also smelt of petrol as I left my girlfriends to get it there.

Clio 172 CUP / ZX6R C1h
Did you ever get this completely sorted? As this is EXACTLY what mine is doing! Saves me starting another thread. Its been doing it for a few weeks now. As I hardly drive it.... I have just been dealing with not going over 4k Revs. But Its soooo annoying. Ive read coil pack... and lamba sensors.. but beings as yours was doing exactlywhat mine is doing. A definate would be nice. :)