ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 exhaust problems - old one fell off, new one too loud.

Hi, n00bie (forum and all things car!) here looking for advice.

I've got a 53 plate 172 with 22k on the clock. Last week the exhaust fell off :(. Took it to the local garage, and to save money they put on a new exhaust box and welded the old tail pipe onto this. They quoted me a little under £300 for the actual standard 172 exhaust, not including labour.

My problem now is that the exhaust is very loud, it sounds like a high performance chav nova. I find it really embarrassing pulling away at lights, even at low revs. Motorway driving simply gives me a headache!

I'd appreciate any advice in quietening the damn thing down, or anything I need to ask for at the garage. Do I need to simply take it back and shell out some more money and get the standard exhaust fitted? I'm not interested in any performance exhausts, I just want it back to how it was.

Thanks in anticipation.

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
it might be possible that it is blowing from somewhere......possibly if the exhaust is leaking from the cat this will make a really shi*ty noise. Or they have probably put on a really small box that will make it noisey as hell...

get under the car and look around the connections on the cat either side.

likely you will need to buy a new standard one if you want it quiet/normal, i would go to a different garage if i was you too...

Wow, thanks for the two very quick replies!

This car has given me nothing but grief, the alternator burnt out, took it to my local Renault dealer as I assumed they knew what they were doing. That cost me £680, now the exhaust has fallen off. What are my chances of selling the damn thing with that history?!

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
should be fine..... parts often need replacing on cars better they are replaced than the next owner having it fall off...u were just unfortunate really. use independant garage for things like alternator, dealerships are usually Rip off 680 for a alternator inc labour is expensive

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Wow, thanks for the two very quick replies!

This car has given me nothing but grief, the alternator burnt out, took it to my local Renault dealer as I assumed they knew what they were doing. That cost me £680, now the exhaust has fallen off. What are my chances of selling the damn thing with that history?!

You'll be fine selling it, every single standard exhaust WILL fall off eventually

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
^^ still hoping for pics/feedback of your stealth one to see if it's an cop ;) as mine due to fall of any day.

Took the car back to the garage and they said everything was ok. It was just the shape of the box giving it a "different tonal quality". Said I hated it and wanted the standard clio 172 exhaust fitted. I am waiting for them to get back to me with a price, but he expected it to be in the £300-£400 range to get the exhaust and fitted. I also rang Renault out of interest. They said the actual back box is £122 with "0.9 hours" (????) labour, which equated to approx £74. This was on the condition that it was to only replace the box with a new one, and not taking into account "any damage caused fitting the current one". I wait and see..............