ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 F4R engine into 1.4 8v advice please

Clio Mk2 Ph1, Focus
Hi everyone picked up an engine gearbox engine loom ecu and key with other ancillaries for a good price. Currently have a 1.4 8v MK2 Ph1, what else am I going to need? Done a swap before with a saxo so got some experience doing the actual swap but need help with a parts list. Can guess I need new mounts but will my stock interior loom work, clutch/accelerator cable, etc?

I will be upgrading the brakes and suspension, what brake upgrades fit under 15" wheels? Thanks, expect more brain picking to come!

Mec 350 slk manual
280 mm front brake discs , but the time you have spent and money you may as well picked up a 172

Clio Mk2 Ph1, Focus
That's just standard 172 brakes then? I've heard they're pretty good with decent pads and discs though? Seems a big enough set tbf.

And I take on board your point but to be honest this is more just something for me to do in my spare time than anything. I picked up the engine, gearbox, all ancillaries etc for £102. Can't be complaining at that, the car only cost me £200 so £300 and i'm most of the way to 172 power. I'll just pick up eBay bargains for parts as I go :)

Also, this is what I called in the main thread my guinea pig. I'll be using it alot for learning more in-depth stuff, ie doing a head gasket and the like, which I've never done before. Heaven knows this engine will need it as it came out of a rolled car and as such the oil worked its way into places it shouldn't have! :)

Mk3 clio 1.5
Your also going to need to change the sub frame, drive shafts, hubs, suspension struts, if your taking that off you may aswell replace anti roll bars.

Whilst engine is off, do some work on it like, oil change, sparks, cambelt maybe consider water pump if never changed.

Im breaking my 172 if your after any parts, drop me a pm.

Mk3 clio 1.5
Forgot to mention, 1*2 brakes only just fit under 15" wheels so without changing the wheel size I dont believe you can upgrade.

Clio Mk2 Ph1, Focus
Im picking up some 15 inch team dynamics wheels tomorrow so hopefully I can make it work. Do I need to change the steering rack? Also do I need to change the interior loom? I have debated upgrading the wiring to that from a phase 2 as ive heard the phase 1 suffered electrical issues more, which my 1.4 8v definitely has! Also can I just remove the ac pump and put a non-ac belt on? Trying to think of anything else I need to know.

SQ5
Forgot to mention, 1*2 brakes only just fit under 15" wheels so without changing the wheel size I dont believe you can upgrade.

What do you mean? The 172 came with 15's as standard, they will and there are 4 pot brake kits that will fit.

Mk3 clio 1.5
Did you get the clocks to go with the engine or you wanting to use your own? I think with changing to ph2 would be a little complex, guess it just depends on your knowlege understanding.

If your removing the a/c then officially you would need to pay for it to be de gased. Just be careful if not!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
That's just standard 172 brakes then? I've heard they're pretty good with decent pads and discs though? Seems a big enough set tbf.

And I take on board your point but to be honest this is more just something for me to do in my spare time than anything. I picked up the engine, gearbox, all ancillaries etc for £102. Can't be complaining at that, the car only cost me £200 so £300 and i'm most of the way to 172 power. I'll just pick up eBay bargains for parts as I go :smile:

Also, this is what I called in the main thread my guinea pig. I'll be using it alot for learning more in-depth stuff, ie doing a head gasket and the like, which I've never done before. Heaven knows this engine will need it as it came out of a rolled car and as such the oil worked its way into places it shouldn't have! :smile:

sounds good! Would be worth learning how to change the cambelt etc on the engine whilst its out of the car (Cant believe its been done for £102)! You will need a new exhaust manifold. I would have thought you cable throttle cable would be ok for the 172 engine. You may also need some new engine mounts, im unsure if the 1.4 engine uses the same ones. Like other have said, sub-frames etc etc will have to be changed unless you get some custom driveshafts.

sounds like a fun and educational project to me :smile: