ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Handling probs - shocks?

Hi all,

Been having problems(again) over the last few weeks. The handling has gone to pot. The car seems to lean into left hand turns, giving an oversteer kind of feel.

I though that one of the drivers side shocks could be shot, but I've bounced the car on all four corners and it returns back and stops OK. I've checked the shocks for leaks but they look fine. However the car seems to be sitting a good 15mm lower on the rear drivers side than the left. Front looks OK. Is there anything else that could be causing this other than the shocks? Tyre pressures are good and loads of tread left on then.

Another thing the car seems to do is wander around the straight ahead - almost a tramlining effect. This happens on slightly uneven roads surfaces.

I'm going to take it in later this week to get it checked, but if I can get a gpood idea of what else it might be first then it's a bonus!

Cheers
Rich

Check the spring havnn't snapped I'd guess this is the problem. There have been a number breaking it should be done under warently as there a big spring problem at the moment for a few manurfacturers.

Just checked mate. Springs look good. I've taken a ruler out to the car and it's actually 20 mm from the top of the arch to the rim of the wheel lower on the drivers side.

10.6mm passenger side 12.6mm drivers side.

Its ok I know what you meant.

The maximum tolerance for differences in sizes left to right is 5mm and most Clios seem to be about this due to the fact most are driven with one person so the cars always slanted.

If your cars under warently then it will be done as its not as per manurfacturers spec.
If your feeling competant take the springs off and have a look at them they maybe damaged right at the top which is impossibel to see with them still on the car. I'd think with that much difference that unless your cars paked very unevenely on a hill somehting is definatly well out. Until you take the springs and shocks out though you won't know what the problem is but that much difference an I'd definatly look into it. It might be a worn or badly seated spring in that rubber bit at the top or not sat in the shock at the bottom or if the car has been repaired they've replace the spring with the wrong one (This has happened before) its even been know for one or two cars to have the wrong springs although being as the 172 line is seperate to any others I'm not sure how likly it could have 1.2 springs etc on from the factory etc.

edde said:
Its ok I know what you meant.

The maximum tolerance for differences in sizes left to right is 5mm and most Clios seem to be about this due to the fact most are driven with one person so the cars always slanted.

If your cars under warently then it will be done as its not as per manurfacturers spec.
If your feeling competant take the springs off and have a look at them they maybe damaged right at the top which is impossibel to see with them still on the car. I'd think with that much difference that unless your cars paked very unevenely on a hill somehting is definatly well out. Until you take the springs and shocks out though you won't know what the problem is but that much difference an I'd definatly look into it. It might be a worn or badly seated spring in that rubber bit at the top or not sat in the shock at the bottom or if the car has been repaired they've replace the spring with the wrong one (This has happened before) its even been know for one or two cars to have the wrong springs although being as the 172 line is seperate to any others I'm not sure how likly it could have 1.2 springs etc on from the factory etc.

The rear passenger stub axle was replaced a month back after the garage fucked up one of the bearings when the discs were changed. The bearing collapsed taking the stub axle with it! I don't think they wouldn't have touched the springs for this though and the problem is on the opposite side. I didn't notice anything until a week after the work - it seems to have developed since then. The cars out of warranty so I might jack the bugger up and have a fidle at the weekend - see if theres anything I can see before I hand her over to one of trusty the local garages. If it is one of the springs as you say I might just upgrade to some after market ones! ;-)

Well I had a spare hour this afto so I took the rear springs off. comparing them they both look fine - no damage. I also had a good look round the area and made sure both springs were seated correctly when I refitted them.

To prove a point I swapped them over and went for a drive. No difference - still leans loads on left hand bends, so I don't know what the fecks going on. The same side is still 20mm lower - I've even parked the car the opposite way on the drive! Still the same :-(

Well it's a mystery!

I've had the car looked at @ eurocarcare in Derby. Top place by the way, reasonably priced and very friendly and helpful chaps - a breath of freash air compared to Renault Service departments!

They had it in for one day last week - they confirmed it's lower on the drivers side rear but the geometry checks out fine! All 4 springs and suspension bushes have been checked. They road tested the car twice and couldn't find anything wrong. I was begining to wonder whether it was all in my head!!!

They then recommended a 4 wheel alignment check as this might show up any problems - this was done yesterday and it checks out OK, the only thing that was slightly out was the tracking. This has been fixed and the car isn't tramlining so much now.

At the moment they don't have any idea whats causing it! They've asked me to see how it goes, if it's still an issue they'll take it back in and start looking at stripping out the rear end.

I was hoping this was going to be a simple spring or damper swap, now it seems that it'll be an on going trial and error fix :-(

I know it's not particularly scientific but anyone know the standard rear 172 ride height? The distance between the rim and the arch would be useful. This might give a clue as to which side is shagged, the lower side or the higher side! LOL!

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
This sounds interesting m8, post back later when you know the answer please.

Cheers, Rob669

Danlp6 said:
I had the same prob, lowered it and its fine since.

Hmm - did you notice 'ought wrong with the original springs after they'd been removed?

Which end was one side lower? Rear or front?

Must admit I've contemplated chucking a set of Eibachs on there to see if it does the trick. The problem is I've had the rear springs off and they look fine. So Unless the problem lies at the front of the car and it's effecting the rear?????

not lower or un even, but going into right hand bends the back end would always feel a bit loose, leaning alot etc, almost as if it was a slightly soft tyre on one side, but once i'd stuck my apex's on, sorted, like s**t to a blanket now.