ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Insurance question

Will Tesco sting me for fitting Eibach springs? Or do you know how much (roughly) it costs.

I will be letting them know, just wanted to prepare for the extra cost. on the premium.

just give them a ring and say you are thinking of doing it, and would like to know how much extra it will cost you

everyone can guess a figure, only they can tell you the real price

Renault Laguna Coupe

I must admit I didnt tell them about the Eibachs. I dont think anyone would guess that youve fitted them unless they were really going over the car. The drop is so subtle even the people who service my car (Renault delership) didnt notice.

Tesco seem pretty reasonable about mods though - no extra charge for my Magnex (which IS noticable!).

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 23 August 2003
Tesco seem pretty reasonable about mods though - no extra charge for my Magnex (which IS noticable!).

ever so slightly mike

Just informed them of the Eibachs, £87 for the remainder of the policy, till May.

They didnt want to know of the Lexus lights.

£400 hundered for coilovers, thats unlucky! When getting the quote, I think it makes a difference on how much the parts cost you. Keep the cost of the mod down and the extra to the plicy may be kept lower? Just a thought.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Really cant understand the logic behing charging extra for a mod that changes the look of the car hardly at all and improves the handling making it safer. Ah well...

This is why Im glad I dont get charged for any mods apart from ones which increase BHP significantly.. heh.

telford_mike,

did you take a before and after measurement from the center of the wheel to wheelarch? When you say a slight drop, did you get at least 15mm?

As the insurance is concerned, it would be just my luck to have an accident and be found that the policy was void... Peace of mind... and wallet!!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Didnt do a before and after, but Id say 15 - 20mm is about right. Youll notice it cos its your car, but it wont have the slammed look that you see a lot these days. It would have to be a hell of an accident for an assessor to notice aftermarket springs I would have thought - theyre black just like the oem springs and the makers name would long since have got covered in road dirt.

GR7

Shiny red R32

My insurance company told me a while back, that as a rule, insurance companies are more concerned with mods to the engine and changes which will alter the performance of the car rather than things like Lexus lights/clear indicators etc which alter the appearance but not the performance of the car. Also they are concerned about things like larger non-standard wheels which might increase the "stealability" of them or of the car.