ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Mk1, 172 Mk2 or 172 Cup

Alright guys i am a first time poster so apologies if this has been discussed loadz before.

I am looking to get a clio 172 in the next few months but really cant decide what to get.

I really like the idea of getting a 172 cup cos of the uprated performance and love the colour (can you get standard 172s in the same colour blue?).

However, i know the missus would love the leather and a/c in the standard 172s. I also heard that the mk1s are generally faster than mk2s- anyone know if this is the case? Also would it be easy to modify the standard 172 so it would have thye same or better performance than the cup and if so for how much?

Sorry for all the questions and grateful for any advice you guys can give.

Go to the ClioSport home page go to "Car specs" then "172" youll find the spec on all 172 models....enjoy!! ;)

The mark 2 172 drives as well as the Cup when lowered with the added bonus of the luxuries, the alloys let it down but are easy to change!

My sis has had a mark 1 and now has a Cup, I have a mark 2, all fantastic cars, you wont be disappointed with any of them…the 0-60 difference is only a split second, and so not really relevant on the road unless you have the talents of Michael Schumacher in that case you should be on the track!! :devilish:

Elise/VX220/R26

If I was buying now Id get a 2nd hand 172mk 2 just cos they are so cheap now and have a stupid amount of toys for the £££

Id go for a Mk2 personally, the extra power to weight of the cup isnt massive and the suspension on it can be made better than a cup is. Plus I like my toys.

Given that Cups are actually 172s without many of the toys (but uprated) were they actually more or less expensive than the standard 172s when new?

Quote: Originally posted by Viv172 on 04 September 2004

The mark 2 172 drives as well as the Cup when lowered with the added bonus of the luxuries, the alloys let it down but are easy to change!

My sis has had a mark 1 and now has a Cup, I have a mark 2, all fantastic cars, you wont be disappointed with any of them…the 0-60 difference is only a split second, and so not really relevant on the road unless you have the talents of Michael Schumacher in that case you should be on the track!! :devilish:

agreed^^^

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

If youre looking for speed & handling

172 Cup
172 mk1
172 mk2

If youre looking for toys and features

172 mk2
172 mk1
172 Cup

Other than that its really personal preferance

If you could find a semi-stripped out 172 mk2 (to mk1 weight) with mk1 seats and cup wheels and suspensuion settings then youd probably have the best compromise of the lot, but personally I prefer the mk1 to the mk2 except for the 182 which somehow has grabbed my attention