ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Mk2 Phase1 not starting, no fuel pressure

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
Hi guys,
I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

My 172 Mk2 Ph1 (2001) was running fine when I parked it up before the weekend. Now it won't start.
Turns over fine.
Immobiliser light on dash is normal (light goes out after ignition on for a few secs)
I've removed and cleaned the Crank Pos Sensor.
I've taken out the fuel pump relay and swapped it over with the Engine Coolant Blower relay. (part numbers 4 & 5 in this picture http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/moo0484/scan0002.jpg )
I've disconnected the fuel line from the fuel rail, then turned the ignition on - no fuel being pumped out of the fuel line. Tried turning engine over, still no fuel pumping out.

What should I check next?

Thanks.

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
Did a bit more investigating.
With the ignition turned on I'm not seeing any voltage when I connect a voltmeter to the black wire and the white wire at the fuel pump plug.
What does that indicate?

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
Also, I took a relay from under the glovebox and swapped it with the fuel pump relay. Didn't make any difference.

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
It looked fine when I checked it earlier today. I'll go swap it for a different one.

Thanks

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
I haven't got another fuse that size. It was quite corroded but not blown. I've cleaned it up bright with sand paper but still 0v at the fuel pump.
Any other ideas guys?

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
The plug that connects to the fuel pump has four wires; a thin Orange, a thin white and a thicker white and a thicker black.
Across the thick black and thick white I'm see 0v with the Ign turned on.
Across the two thinner wires I'm seeing 5v (with the Ign turned on) - is that how it's supposed to be? Are those thinner wires are just for the fuel level/fuel gauge?

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
The plug that connects to the fuel pump has four wires; a thin Orange, a thin white and a thicker white and a thicker black.
Across the thick black and thick white I'm see 0v with the Ign turned on.
Across the two thinner wires I'm seeing 5v (with the Ign turned on) - is that how it's supposed to be? Are those thinner wires are just for the fuel level/fuel gauge?
Anyone know?

Thanks

172 Ph1
Go to the engine bay fuse / relay box , next to the small relays are 2 large ones .
locate the fuel pump relay and bridge the wires and see if the pump runs.

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
I'm at work at the moment, and the car is at home, so I can't go look at it right now. When you say "Bridge the wires" do you mean on the back of the relay box where the wires connect to the relay's socket? Or with the relay removed and the bridging wire connected across two terminal sockets? (If so which ones?)

Sorry if this is a dumb question

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
Not making any progress :(
Is there a better forum I might be able to get some help with this?

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
OK.
If there isn't 12v at the injectors, what will that tell me about why the fuel pump isn't running?

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
Yeah I did try the red button but it was already OK.

I have now discovered that the pump IS being sent 12v for a second or two when the ignition is first switched on, but the pump doesn't sound like it runs during that time. (I couldn't previously test that on my own)
Sounds like a failed fuel pump, right ?

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
I took the fuel pump assembly out today. Got it on a workbench and connected a battery charger to to the terminals. I can hear the pump spinning but it's not making any pressure at the fuel outlet. I presume it should do, right?

Any particular cost effective suggestions for a replacement?

Thanks.

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
Is the fuel pump assembly (pump, hanger, pipe positions, connections etc) from a Phase 2 the same as a Phase 1 ?

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
Yes, there is a return pipe on mine. The Red connector on this pic...

IMG_20151012_174444.jpg