ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 182 engine?

182 Inferno
Hello!

Is there a way to tell if I have a 172 engine in my car and not a 182 engine? Without it going on a rolling road

Is this a stupid question? Sorry :)

SQ5
Take the inlet off.

If you have a flat plate you have a 182, if it has a big hole coming up 172.

Why do you want to know?

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
So what am I looking for? :p

That's a 172 engine.

bef32757a23a0af097f61f2f79f2fb18.jpg

Last edited:
  182 Inferno
Take the inlet off.

If you have a flat plate you have a 182, if it has a big hole coming up 172.

Why do you want to know?
Cool thanks!

My current 182 just doesn't feel as fast as my old one.. The seller did have a 172 at his garage so it's just a thought that's come to mind!

Judging by that photo, I definitely have a 182 engine.

I don't have the standard induction kit, I have a silly massive on thay doesn't even fit in the engine bay, which does cause a bit of lag. I have a standard one to fit, maybe that'll make a bit of difference!

Thanks for the help!

SQ5
Another garage got the belt done few months before I bought it, but it makes a whiring noise, I'm worried they've been done too tight?

Sounds like they did the belt and didn't swap any tensioners. Quite common for people not knowing what there doing to forget doing the auxiliary tensioner and just doing a belt

182 Inferno
Sounds like they did the belt and didn't swap any tensioners. Quite common for people not knowing what there doing to forget doing the auxiliary tensioner and just doing a belt
Ahh nice one! t***s!

I was thinking of calling the garage and seeing what can be done about it, been just over a year now though... So probably nothing!
Thanks for your info