ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 phase 2 exhaust - flexi pipe - weakpoint?

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
I’m about to take collection of. 172 and the current owner has advised the cat is blowing a bit. Spoke to a local exhaust shop about getting a new sports cat made and fitted, and they advised that in their experience is usually the flexi pipe that goes vs the cat. Firstly I can’t seem to find a flexi pipe for sale for a 172 anywhere, but the shop also said it’s a really big job to change if needs doing as the subframe needs to come out. I just wanted to check if the flexi joints failing is in fact a common issue and if it is such a big job to change them. Cheerz

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
The 172 doesn't have a flexi
Thanks. Sounds like I’ve been mis-informed then. Does the cat bolt straight onto the downpipe then? Are there any common weak points that blow other than the cat in that area of the exhaust?

monaco 172
Lol try another garage.

If the cat is blowing, either buy a decat pipe or buy a new cat, I bought a brand new one from cats2u for about 90 quid and it was fine.

If it's on the original exhaust, it could be blowing from anywhere though.

Fitting is not a big job, it's a bit fiddly on a 172 as the bolts from the cat to Mani aren't too easy to get at, but very doable.

I found the best method was a rachet with plenty of extentions and a universal joint from under the car, and then get somebody to hold a spanner on the bolts on the other side through the engine bay.

Half an hour tops.

Yeh the cat bolts straight to the manifold, then the centre section bolts straight to the cat

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
Lol try another garage.

If the cat is blowing, either buy a decat pipe or buy a new cat, I bought a brand new one from cats2u for about 90 quid and it was fine.

If it's on the original exhaust, it could be blowing from anywhere though.

Fitting is not a big job, it's a bit fiddly on a 172 as the bolts from the cat to Mani aren't too easy to get at, but very doable.

I found the best method was a rachet with plenty of extentions and a universal joint from under the car, and then get somebody to hold a spanner on the bolts on the other side through the engine bay.

Half an hour tops.

Yeh the cat bolts straight to the manifold, then the centre section bolts straight to the cat
thanks very much. Feel a bit more optimistic now. May even look at a sports cat. Any to consider other than the k-tec?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Thanks. Sounds like I’ve been mis-informed then. Does the cat bolt straight onto the downpipe then? Are there any common weak points that blow other than the cat in that area of the exhaust?
It's probably blowing from the fire doughnut gasket ring thing between manifold and cat

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
It's probably blowing from the fire doughnut gasket ring thing between manifold and cat
Really helpful thanks. Assume this would be the kit I’d need to replace if so:

24CD7C9D-E993-4202-84E9-F074A24D0ADF.jpeg