ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 race car project for my 12 year old son

clio 172 race car
just purchased this 172 race car for my 12 year old son amazing car for the money cant believe how quick it is and how well it handles . needs some tidying . came with 12 wheels and some spares
work to do

lighten it remove sound deading and excess metal work
tidy up wiring and fuse box
respray interior
fit rear coilovers
fit headlights
fit horn (both needed for rally sprints that he will be doing)
Fit adjustable seat rails so that i can dual enter.

IMG_1600.jpg
IMG_1568.jpg

clio 172 race car
We went to a small track on tuesday for his and my first run these cars are great fun he had a good run and was setting some goods times at the end of the morning best time round track is 1.06 he was doing it in 1.10 . It was his first run in a car on a track he has been karting for three years so has a lot to learn a hairy moments .
gearing on the car is very long so will have to look for a different crown wheel and pinion and fit a lsd has anyone any suggestions on which diff a gripper or quaife

[video]http://sharing.theflip.com/session/9b94cee2f114dcadf9961c91b493e696/video/148201051[/video]

Last edited:
  clio 172 race car
the cars spec
clio cup car engine
gas flowed skimmed and ported head kent race cams
group A ECU upgrade
Group N head Gasket
poly bushes
plastic door cards
electronic spa speedo unit
omp cage
polycarb windows
omp front and rear strut brace
four branch manifold
renault sport group a motorsport cat
full devil group a race exhaust
fk fully adjustable dampers
corner weighted
goodridge brake hoses
tarox full race front brakes
luk sport clutch
b&m short -shift gear lever kit
alcantara race steering wheel

paddymc

ClioSport Club Member
I'm familiar with this car racing in Ireland. I know it was going for a bargin. best if luck with it

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
looks very nice!

but im just curious, why do you have a seemingly hight spec passenger seat that drivers seat??

clio 172 race car
Started stripping sound proof of and removing any spare metal work we have been at for ages with hot air gun and scrapper hard stuff to get off hope to get all sanded tonight ready for etch primer also got a tool for bending edges of holes that we are going drill in non structural parts got whiteline arb ordered.
still looking for a lsd diff it anyone has one for saleIMG_1621.jpgIMG_1622.jpgIMG_1623.jpg

(looks very nice!

but im just curious, why do you have a seemingly hight spec passenger seat that drivers seat??)

The passenger seat was the drivers when we purchased the car (NO passenger seat fitted)but as my son is 12 to get the seat in the correct driving position it would not fit as the seat needs to be high and forward so had to fit a standard smaller seat sparco rev for him not ideal but it works .

clio 172 race car
Got inside all cleaned and etch primed last night
IMG_1625.jpgIMG_1626.jpgIMG_1627.jpgIMG_1628.jpg
Our spot weld drill bit broke so couldnt get the rest of the metal bars removed.
On the engine front going to change the rad and as it has some damage on it . Going to change the starter as it is slow and tidy up the fuse box
IMG_1629.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 122
  clio 172 race car
we got a bit more work done this week fitted new rad as old one was damaged and bent at bottom and new starter motor as the old one was lazy and we fitted a whiteline arb kit to the rear
photo.jpgphoto-1.jpg

we also stripped the dash and loom and have prepared for painting .
does anyone know were you can get a race car dash .

Cup In bits
we got a bit more work done this week fitted new rad as old one was damaged and bent at bottom and new starter motor as the old one was lazy and we fitted a whiteline arb kit to the rear
View attachment 82471View attachment 82472

we also stripped the dash and loom and have prepared for painting .
does anyone know were you can get a race car dash .

Turning out nice. TOP DAD award goes to you, would have loved a car at 12.

As far as race dash, a lot of guys are using the Race Technology dashes now. The dash 2 is a good bit of kit, I plan on having one.
You should be able to get something to suit your ecu if your running the Magnetti Marelli ecu that the cup racers had or if standard then a data logger might be needed. Top guys give them a ring.

http://www.race-technology.com/dash2_2_31.html

clio 172 race car
Looks a good bit kit will give them a ring . Getting a local guy to flock the dash for 70 euro .

clio 172 race car
Got inside and cage painted ove r the weekned dash is getting flocked on tuesday. got loom and fire ext back in and seats and belts we hope to test again on thursday.
photo-1.jpgphoto-10.jpgphoto-13.jpgphoto-15.jpg

only problem i am having is that wipers come on when i switch ignition on and stay on any thoughts on what would cause this.

clio 172 race car
Got cartek electric cut off wired and omp electric fire ext fitted and hand held fire ext fitted . plus carbon floor sheets fitted.
photo.JPGphoto.JPGphoto.JPG

clio 172 race car
My son had his first rally sprint on sat we dualed entered. He done well for his first time racing in a competition. Car came home in one piece he only pulled the bumper off when he had a spin into the scenery when coming into a chicain great day very greasy all day frost never lifted all day he still has lots to learn but had a great run he finished 61 out of 85 and I finished 31 he beat alot of adults and was the youngest racing that day . Really need to get a lsd diff for the car struggled to get grip all day and soften the suspension as car was set up far to hard and two low also need to lower gearing. Any one got a gearbox and lsd diff for sale and any suggestions for what is the best suspension set up the events we run on are airfields and tarck events but can very very bumpy.
atnov12_22.jpg

Hello great way to do it, start him as young as you can.
Try Colin acca ( Shiftspark ) he has a cup box along with a Quaife ATB diff send him a PM, give Martin at Agency Transmisions a call as I think he can do the 13/59 final drives, this would reduce your final drive by 10%, he said he removes them from the Gordini boxes, it depends on the type of diff bearing though.
Again cracking result.

Regards Russ.......

My son had his first rally sprint on sat we dualed entered. He done well for his first time racing in a competition. Car came home in one piece he only pulled the bumper off when he had a spin into the scenery when coming into a chicain great day very greasy all day frost never lifted all day he still has lots to learn but had a great run he finished 61 out of 85 and I finished 31 he beat alot of adults and was the youngest racing that day . Really need to get a lsd diff for the car struggled to get grip all day and soften the suspension as car was set up far to hard and two low also need to lower gearing. Any one got a gearbox and lsd diff for sale and any suggestions for what is the best suspension set up the events we run on are airfields and tarck events but can very very bumpy.
atnov12_22.jpg