ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 rattlesnake clutch

Hey guys,

When im driving in my mk ii 172, (10900kms), i notice that when i press the clutch fully down between gearshifts, i hear a faint rattlesnake type noise just as the clutch hits the floor (is in the fully down position).

The noise is comming from the drivers side under the bonnet somewhere. It only occurs when the car is in motion. It is definately the clutch because ive tested it, where i just roll along... press the clutch without changing gear or accelerator and it makes the noise.

Have any of you expperienced this?

press the clutch and put any gear (with your car stoped), then remove the gear and leave the clutch pressed.. see if the noise becomes bigger and when you release the clutch if its stops... mine began like that.. then started to feel the rattle on the clutch pedal.. then one day passing from 4th to 5th, the rotation whent to 7000 and my velocity stayed the same 180km/h.. got worse... worse... and now cant take a go without sensing the rattling, or a little smell of burnt.. got to put a new one (this happend to me with 1250km and its still in the warranty.. hope yours too)...

yeh i notice that in the demo car when u hit the clutch hard it comes out with this "blow off valve" sound kind of strange

i dont think its bad actually it comes with pretty much all the cars.. let see if Ben knows wu it is . he should know. perhaps a hydraulic pump of some sort? i dont know a wild guess

Mine had to change the clutch.. started with that sound.. later burnt smell.. then slippery.. the mechanic said it was deffect.. warranty paid a new one:)

Tell ya more details tomorow..

hhm sounds like a logical explaination. with that sound i did spell clutch after not so harsh use n just drove around for 1.5 hour

Man..... im shaking in my boots...... gosh...

hey i noticed it doesnt come out every single time...... like... its kind of... one day the sound will be there for the whole day... the next day its nothing?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

i dont like noises like that in car.. it like the car is saying.

"oooh this ones gonna cost ya"

Now its fine... (lol its new) BUT... my gear box is driving me crazy.. if i try to change from 1st to 2nd gear very fast (ex:if I try to make the best time out of a 0-62mph test) it just wont get in right.. (scratch-is this the right term:))

I had a Seat Tdi110 before this one and have driven many other cars and the only similar to mine was a Megane2.0.. renault gear boxed suck...