ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 = slow if........

CTR EK9 turbo

you havent checked your airbox cold air pipes. Imagine trying to breath with big Tyrone with his hands around your neck - id have thought it to be pretty darn difficult. Well, thats what your cars doing if you left it up to someone else other than yourself to put the airbox back together!

I drove away from my house today thinking: "this car feels very strange and not a smooth power delivery". Its done this before and id forgotten exactly why. I popped the hood further down the road and had a gander at the airbox, only to find that the cold air feed pipes were connect to the airbox in the wrong order! This caused one of them to be completely crimped shut forbiding any decent air flow! The other pipes was also curver awkwardly. I swapped them over to their correct places (not even connected properly-very loose!) and i had to squeeze the pipes to their correct shape. This has happened twice after ive had it in the garage.....

Make sure you check yours because it makes a HUGE difference. The biggest difference was the speed in which the car decelerates on the motorway. With the crimped-pipe conversion, it decelerates really badly when off the gas. But with the pipes in their correct locations it is much more smooth decell and it does it slower.

The correct order for pipe connection (Mk.1 anyway) is: front grill to top of airbox and wheel arch feed to lower airbox. They fit into their slots so much easier and the pipes are their correct (non crimped) shape.

Hope this helps

Could be why loadsa 172s are slow ones?

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Have you not got any pics of what to check (for the non-experts) mines just come back from renault after some engine work. And I reckon it would be worth checking.

CTR EK9 turbo

im not sure about the mk.2 airboxes im afraid dude as ive got the mk.1 with a different airbox. Do they have 2 cold air feed pipes leading into them?

Mines never been to Renault (although it will soon) and nothing has ever been touched on it. I think its more down to your personal opinion on what is quick and what isnt - obviously that is influenced by the cars youve owned before and the cars you regularly go in. Thanks for the info though - Ill be sure to check it after I take it in there :)

2012 WRX Waggon

just had a gander at mine - how do they get all that stuff in, i tried following the cold air feed to the airbox, it goes deep into the bowels of the engine bay, with some description of diaphram attached to it.

really hard to see where everything goes its that tight - no wonder they get kinked!!